Sporting News : Nfl Coaching Hot Seats

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, May 15, 2018.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Adam Gase, Dolphins: Gase has deployed his power over Miami's personnel by letting go of players like Jay Ajayi, Jarvis Landry and Ndamukong Suh, hoping to create a better dynamic on the field and in the locker room. But that drain of talent will make it harder for Gase to prove his Dolphins are more like the 10-6 playoff team they were in 2016 than the 6-10 mess of last season.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/...odds-of-being-fired/tz0m6i4kxoqc1vu55s6xh8ut9

2. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

Steven Ross absolutely adores Gase. He is not on the hot seat this season.

3. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

Mike Tannebaum is tho. Judging by the post draft press conference he’s getting slowly phased out.

Thankfully.

4. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

With Ross you never get the feeling that anyone is on the hot seat.

5. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Gase has a nice cool seat. He's not going anywhere soon.

6. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Gase's seat is cool but he had a big influence on this roster. Vast improvement should be the expectation.

7. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you. Finheaven VIP

If the culture change backfires, Gase's roster additions fail to pan out and Miami has a worse record than last year. Oh yeah, he will be on the hot seat.

SF Dolphin Fan, srp1979 and Spiff like this.
  8. thefieds

thefieds Rookie

did you guys defend philbin like this because the similarities are uncanny. 2 HCs living off the success of coaching hall of fame QBs. Poor coaching staffs. Prior bengals DB coaches as DCs. Running off alpha type players to build a better locker room.

Ross making it known he wasn't thrilled with our draft puts the entire FO and staff on notice.

9. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Things can change in heartbeat

elite14eva likes this.
  10. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Nope. Philbin always ridiculed even so much just to prop up Gase some more. Gase hasn’t proven anything imo yet. Maybe if he has more than one playoff season.

11. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

From Hard Knocks, it was pretty obvious that Philbin was a tightly-wound control freak; ditto his getting rid of the ad hoc Leadership Council. Also Philbin put his best buddyism before the best interest of the team in refusing to fire Sherman until threatened with his own job. Compare that with Gase who took Philbin's mess and overperformed by earning a postseason berth, somewhat due to his enhancement of Tannehill's skillset. And Tannehill going down made last season a Wash in Gase's "win/loss" column.

Ain't no comparison between the two but even if there were, it was Ross who through his "secret scout" selected Gase so on the basis of Ross's personal skin in the game alone, I'd be very surprised if Gase is going anywhere. If Hue Jackson is still standing after his last 2 seasons, it's hard to believe that Gase will be in the line of fire. If he ****s up this year, it's conceivable that 2019 would be a make or break it season for him.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  12. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

That is such an ignorant comment. Ajayi was effectively replaced by Drake, and Ajayi's disruptive attitude forced him out, and considering the new stories on Ajayi misbehaving lately...perfect timing.

Landry was a great receiver to have, but too much money for the slot, Miami again effectively replaced him.

Suh is the only one that replacing might be tough, but if they can get them to play better together,with a better LB squad, and Miami all of a sudden Don't need a dominant DT, just solid.

joenhre likes this.
  13. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

Gase is good...

[​IMG]

You don't know what an Alpha player is do you?

andyahs likes this.
  14. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

#FAKENEWS

15. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

A third year coach going through a rebuilding mode and from everything we have heard the owner is fond of......nope.

16. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

Year one makes playoffs (while losing starting QB, best defender and still needing wins)

Year two...loses starting QB and starting MLB before the season starts...has no bye week, deals with the worst travel schedule in football (Including displacing his team and travel to England)....still manages 6 wins.

and yet..."hot seat"

Gase has at least two more years before it is even considered that the team moves on from him. What will happen is he will show progress, Miami will move on and he will be the bane of our existence. We finally get a coach who knows his stuff and people **** on him because of last season...Oh, he got rid of Landry...not because he was "Alpha" but because he struggled with the playbook and after 4 years in the NFL could not read a ****ing option route.

CedarPhin, GUH-sick-EE, NBP81 and 6 others like this.
  17. Superself

Fondness can change quickly if you keep producing losing records.

18. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Re Gase

Me thinks its more like he's on the porta potty seat.

Kinda stinks in there and so get your business done fast!

phintim likes this.
  19. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Haven't watched too much of the Dolphins have you?

20. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

LOL producing losing seasons. he's had one losing season and it's because of starting QB went down.
    The only people that think he's on the hot seat are philbin lovers and people who thought we were drafting a QB in the first. Hopefully you guys find your pacifier so you stop with the whining.

21. AvogadrosNumber

AvogadrosNumber Active Member

Gase's personnel moves and staff hires leave a lot to be desired.

The schedule is hard this year and team depth will come into play the back 3rd of the year.

if anything happens to Tannehill the front office blame game will start. Typical Miami Dolphins behavior under Stephen Ross.

22. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I tried to have faith in philbin at first, I thought he had potential, he was gonna be a cerebial coach, guess it was just his head, I dunno. he kind of worn thin on me quick. out of any coach that has ever coached any of my favorite teams, Philbin was at the tops by far of coaches that I cussed thru the tv, followed closely by ECU's former HC Ruff McNeil, and the Tarheels coach Roy Williams who thinks you can collect Time Outs and carry them over obviously. but philbin (by myself being a fans) standards did the dumbest **** ever, he coached like a sissy, had poor time management. for starters you can let it slide a little, he had no previous head coaching experience, why I thought it was okay for gase to be allowed to slide at first. we cuss Gase for getting rid of players he doesn't feel are good for locker room, but turn around and say "Philbin had to know about bullygate, how did he let that just happen?" not saying Gase would've prevented bully gate, but I'd almost bet Martin would've been gone sooner as soft and horrible of a blocker as he is. Gase cant be given a free ride this year unless MULTIPLE MAJOR off the wall stuff happens that he has no control over.

Standings can lie so you cant go 100% by them but I'd take it something like this....and this is with HIS team on the field, would grant him .33 losses per starter , so last year I would grant him (Lippet, Tanne, Kwon) even tho I know those 3 are worth more than 1 loss.

0-4 replace
    5-7 look for feelers to see if anything with HC experience is available, if nothing available playoffs or bye in 2019
    8-10 come on back minimum 10 wins in 2019 though
    11-15, sign to extension
    16 sign to life time extension.

no im not happy with mediocrity. just say its not gonna be a good year for qb's coming out, tanne is under contract for another season at least after this, so unless he craps the bed and we win 4 or less than he stands a change to be safe, but 5-7 wins I say we still see if anything worth starting over again is out there, if not status quo for one more year, its already been a couple dozen

phintim likes this.
  23. Superself

Clearly you didn't read my previous post. I said IF the culture change backfires AND the Dolphins record this season is worse than last season then Gase will be on the hot seat.

I hated Philbin and am a HUGE Tannehill supporter. Did NOT want to draft QB AT ALL. Minkah was the only guy I wanted in the 1st.
    My prediction for the year is 10-6.

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  24. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Again, like a tie in Hockey, with RT17 going down, Gase is 1-0-1. He was handpicked by the owner who rewarded him by taking a weak team into the postseason. In terms of Gase's stability, at least through 2019, that's all you really need to know.

25. Locke

They can, but Ross sticks by his coaches no matter what. He held onto Philbin far too long, and he didn’t even particularly like the guy. How long of a leashe do you think he is going to give a coach he adores?

You need to leave your personal feelings at the door and look at it objectively. Regardless of how you or I feel about the guy, the man who makes the decisions loves him. He isn’t going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

chuck dezl and lurking like this.
  26. Ricky4Life

Ricky4Life Repin the MIA in AZ!!

Gase will get a few more years and atleast a selection of his own QB before he gets booted. If he was in danger of being fired, Ross would not have let him make all the changes that were made.

27. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

Who ever wrote this piece doesn't have a feel for the team. Gase is nowhere near a hot seat.

28. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

How the hell isn't Marvin Lewis on the hot seat? I think the Bengals are going to be one of the worst teams in the league this year. If the Bengals finish with a losing record I wouldn't be surprised to see them finally move on from Lewis. I would put Lewis above Gase on that list without question.

Vaark and number1fin like this.
  29. WCUPUNK

WCUPUNK Well-Known Member

unless this team ends up 1-15 with Tannehill playing 16 games that is not going to happen.

30. thefieds

thefieds Rookie

I watch every game. I just don't do it through aqua colored glasses like you.

31. dougb123

dougb123 Well-Known Member

Let me take off my Aqua tinted glasses...

With the signals Ross gave off after the draft you would have to think there was some truth to the article, doubt that it was all about the draft picks, he starting to question some of the football decisions that are being made i.e. the dumping of talent (Ajayi, Suh, Landry, Pouncey) the return in value to the team which was negligible, all the FA misses and there are many...couple that with the slow starts of Parker, Tunsil and Harris, and the performance of the team last year you could start to believe there is a clock that has started...

I like Adam Gase and believe the team is headed in a positive direction and am hopeful I haven't seen the best of his offense yet....he may be the only one I would salvage if we have another down year. Gase should at least get as long or longer 4-5 years as Philbin who I would have fired after 2....

I'm so tired of the circle jerk this team has been on for the last 20-25 years, new coach means another rebuild on the fly and tougher sledding while we rebuild the team again to his liking.

But like I said above I’m pretty sure things aren’t hunky-dory

TraderJoe and phintim like this.
  32. theOutback

theOutback Well-Known Member

I agree Gase is probably not on the hot seat now, but he will be if we do not see improvement over last year. So what is really Gase's magic number? I really think there has to be improvement over last year by at least a game or two. If there is no improvement then he most certainly would be.

33. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

Correct, however, I believe the Dolphins are tired of playing musical chairs at HC.

34. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

If anyone’s getting their person feelings mixed into this it’s you. All I said was things change quickly especially in the nfl and you respond with this long drawn out post about me leaving my feelings at the door because ironically you seemed to have taken this personal. It’s not that serious.

I mean yeah Ross sticks by his coaches so much that he tried to replace Sparano while he was still the coach lol or you know firing Philbin after giving him an extension.Funny you say Ross never liked Philbin. Where’s your proof of this? But Besides all that yeah Ross stands by his coaches to the very end. Going from a extension to quickly fired is evidence of my original post in that “things can change quickly”.

Fins1971 and Superself like this.
  35. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

B2553B94-A3AE-4070-9D19-FBEA9048D515.jpeg

36. Superself

Exactly!!

All this oh he is fond of Gase and he isn't quick to fire coaches crap goes right out the damn door if the results are worse than last year.

Ross is a billionaire and the people he gets advice from about his businesses IMO are completely detached from those organizations. I'd think that those people are other billionaires or a consultant who has an expertise in a certain business.

Dolph N.Fan likes this.
  37. Locke

You mean keeping Sparano 2 seasons longer than any other owner would? Or not firing firing Philbin until pretty much everyone was telling him to behind the scenes? Coaches aren’t lifetime jobs, people do get fired. But some owners have a longer leash than others and Ross has shown to have the longest leash of most everyone. Someone getting fired far beyond when they should have doesn’t change that fact. Really, it reinforces it.

My comments about being objective are based on your posting history. I don’t post much in this forum, but I read often, and you’re probably one of the worst offenders of that.

CedarPhin and lurking like this.
  38. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Gase is going to be fired before year 3 . Not this year. 4-12 Team... Then next year 6-10.... Then he gets fired. Dolphins welcome Jim Harbaugh

39wildman likes this.
  39. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

If you recall he demanded Philbin fire Coyle and Philbin refused. And Burke has been worse than Coyle so that may be the path to Gase's seat getting hot sooner than later. If we're 8-8 or worse again and Ross demands some heads roll will Gase capitulate or take a stand?

40. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

And so the off-season of hate continues. So far all we’ve heard is how much talent we lost, how we don’t have a QB, how we have no direction and now our coach is on his last legs. Amazing how 1 year changes things. Meh. They’re all idiots anyways. Maybe if these people knew anything about he team I would be worried but they clearly don’t. This morning I heard on NFL network them talking about the afc east. They said “the pats have won the division 14 of 15 years. But the Bills are making moves, the jets may have found their franchise QB, idk what the dolphins are doing....” I changed it right then. The parroting of weak assed analysis is pathetic.

joenhre likes this.