Stafford traded to Rams | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stafford traded to Rams

I don't know if you want to look at "the Brady's of the world" as a GM when you do these kinds of things.

Counting on someone playing at a high level into their 40s is pretty risky taters.
You can get good 3 to 5 yr out Stafford. .

Happy for Stafford to get out of Detroit while he still has a few years left, and have to wonder if Goff will ever play as a Lion.

Unofficial quote from Stafford...
“I find I’m so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it’s the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.”

Happy for Stafford to get out of Detroit while he still has a few years left, and have to wonder if Goff will ever play as a Lion.

Unofficial quote from Stafford...
“I find I’m so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it’s the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.”
Would u take Goff for 2nd or 3rd round to dolphins.

Could Detroit possibly be looking to make a play for Trevor Lawrence? Could they be gathering ammo to offer to Jax for #1? Bc I’m sure they could trade Jared Goff and get maybe another #1? At the very least a #2 I would think.
Jacksonville is not trading the 1st pick. Pretty sure they know better than that. Now if Detroit was to go after a QB, there either trading up to 2nd or 3rd...fingers crossed...want miami to trade down so bad...or there gonna go after D.Watson...

Jacksonville is not trading the 1st pick. Pretty sure they know better than that. Now if Detroit was to go after a QB, there either trading up to 2nd or 3rd...fingers crossed...want miami to trade down so bad...or there gonna go after D.Watson...
Oh I agree totally. I highly doubt Jax will trade it either I’m just hypothesizing. Just kind of throwing it out their that could be what they’re trying to do. We tried to do something similar last year to get up to #1 for presumably Joe Burrow. I said I’m another thread I highly doubt Jax would trade the pick either but at a certain point you have to at least consider it if you start talking 4/5 1st round picks plus other stuff bc Jax is not just a QB away but again I highly doubt they will trade it either.

This is why I was saying Watson will require at least 3 firsts and only be an option for teams fully stacked like the 49ers. Teams like Miami are not in a position to trade for Watson atm.

I think its also worth noting that the Rams had to probably give up even more draft picks to shed Goff's awful contact.

Last edited:
I don't know if you want to look at "the Brady's of the world" as a GM when you do these kinds of things.

Counting on someone playing at a high level into their 40s is pretty risky taters.
True, but the rules today are _much better_ for QB longevity. Nutrition and fitness is more common and better than in the past. Staff monitoring of health and fitness is _much better_ than any point in the past, and enables good decisions way earlier. It is not uncommon for guys to last into their 40's today compared to previous times. And 43 isn't much into the fourth decade, and by the time that time comes, I think Stafford will still have a very strong arm and able to compete.

Today, the limiter is durability, so bigger QB's and ones that take less hits fare better. Stafford is an ironman type of QB, so he is a definite PLUS Durability guy ... and in a big way. His experience should help him play better as he ages. So, the chances are he improves with age and does play into his 40's, with a very realistic likelihood of hitting the 10 year number of 43.

The bigger question is whether you believe the GM is going to last 10 years. There's actually a lot more data that says no, the GM will not be there in 10 years. So with those considerations ... I see why absolutely no GM is really worried about how many years Stafford has left. They're just going to be interested in whether he can make your team win and possibly get the GM to the 7 or 10 year mark. Honestly, I think Stafford does it. The only negatives are 1) Coach needs to reduce the INT's, and 2) they paid a king's ransom in two 1sts (2022, 2023) and a 3rd (2021).

The GM will either be gone because it isn't a success within 2 years and they've lost the 2022 and 2023 picks in the 1st round, the GM will be fired and looking for a scouting job elsewhere. OR, it works and the GM is viewed as having a feather in his cap for finding Stafford.

I guess the Rams didn’t check with the posters on this forum who stated that the Lions wouldn’t get anymore than a mid round pick for Stafford. I thought that the Lions would get at least one first and a mid round pick for Stafford but I am even surprised at how well the Lions did in this trade. I guess the GM of the Lions must have called up Grier to find out how to get the most compensation in a trade and it worked.

That is an upgrade for the Rams, but that's a high price. Just goes to show that #3 pick has real value for Miami. Teams will give up the farm for a chance at a quarterback.
The QB at 3 will be the QB the Jaguars and Jets didn’t want. So while there may be a team willing to move up and draft that 3rd QB. I just have to wonder if it will be the type of compensation the Dolphins would want to move down to the 8th spot or lower. If they can’t get at least a first round pick in 2022 and a second round pick in 2021 to move down to at least the 8th spot, they should stay at three and make the pick.

I guess the Rams didn’t check with the posters on this forum who stated that the Lions wouldn’t get anymore than a mid round pick for Stafford. I thought that the Lions would get at least one first and a mid round pick for Stafford but I am even surprised at how well the Lions did in this trade. I guess the GM of the Lions must have called up Grier to find out how to get the most compensation in a trade and it worked.
I don't think you're grasping the insane cost to dump off Goff's horrendous contract. The Rams were probably high-fiving all around to be rid of that nightmare contract owed to a subpar QB. I'm pretty sure the extra first round and the second round were paid to compensate for accepting Goff.

This is a clear win for the Lions, I don't see Stafford being significantly better than Goff. In his entire 11 season career Stafford's been to a total of 3 playoff games. Let that sink in!

This trade may work out for the rams, but if it doesn't the bottom is going to fall out on them really quick. You can't go 7 seasons without drafting in the first round without repercussions.

That bill is going to come due soon for McVay and Snead.

Back
Top Bottom