Start of Free Agency - Player news thread. | Page 204 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Start of Free Agency - Player news thread.

Wilkins is going to ask for this type of contract... and he'll likely get it. Simmons gets a few more sacks per year, but Wilkins gets way more Tackles per year than Simmons does. This is the state of the market for a premium DT.

Wilkins is going to ask for this type of contract... and he'll likely get it. Simmons gets a few more sacks per year, but Wilkins gets way more Tackles per year than Simmons does. This is the state of the market for a premium DT.
Half what QBs make amazing. Question is going to be are we gonna be willing to pony up this kinda money for Christian. Not so sure we will.

I'm really curious how we will be able to absorb that kind of contract. I really don't want to see him go but we have some bloated contracts coming up in the next couple years. Hill's is huge next year and finger's crossed Tua is due as well.

Something has to give. Do we flip him in the draft for a 1st and take a new tackle? Do we mortgage the future? Popcorn time.

I'm really curious how we will be able to absorb that kind of contract. I really don't want to see him go but we have some bloated contracts coming up in the next couple years. Hill's is huge next year and finger's crossed Tua is due as well.

Something has to give. Do we flip him in the draft for a 1st and take a new tackle? Do we mortgage the future? Popcorn time.
Maybe we give him half upfront as a bonus ?

There have been quite a few posters who have been denying that Christian is worth this much money because 'he doesn't get sacks'. But when you place Wilkins' 8 sacks over the last two years against Simmons and his 16, you have to wonder how much those extra 4 sacks per year are worth, especially considering that Wilkins gets almost twice the number of tackles that Simmons does.
Then you add in the fact that Christian is the emotional leader of our entire defense and I'm going to argue that Wilkins is the more important player.

There is a reason that this contract is taking so long to finish... this is one of those decisions that could go disastrously wrong... or right.

Grier can make it work salary cap wise. This team believes in their 3 year window, and we'll likely kick the can down the road ala the Eagles. It will hurt when the bill comes due, but now is the time to win and Wilkins is a core piece in that.

There have been quite a few posters who have been denying that Christian is worth this much money because 'he doesn't get sacks'. But when you place Wilkins' 8 sacks over the last two years against Simmons and his 16, you have to wonder how much those extra 4 sacks per year are worth, especially considering that Wilkins gets almost twice the number of tackles that Simmons does.
Then you add in the fact that Christian is the emotional leader of our entire defense and I'm going to argue that Wilkins is the more important player.

There is a reason that this contract is taking so long to finish... this is one of those decisions that could go disastrously wrong... or right.
I don’t agree with this and think Simmons is a significantly better player than Wilkins, but this is probably exactly what Wilkins’s agent is saying and it’s a fair argument. And I agree that this is why an extension isn’t done despite both sides wanting one.

There is no chance I’d give him $20M AAV or more in real dollars (I don’t care if we tack on a fake year or two to let him say it’s worth like $25M AAV). If that’s what it would cost, I’d let him play out the season. Let’s see if he’s that type of elite player in Fangio’s defense first. And if he is, and we still don’t like the demands, we can franchise him for a year or two.

I don’t agree with this and think Simmons is a significantly better player than Wilkins, but this is probably exactly what Wilkins’s agent is saying and it’s a fair argument. And I agree that this is why an extension isn’t done despite both sides wanting one.

There is no chance I’d give him $20M AAV or more in real dollars (I don’t care if we tack on a fake year or two to let him say it’s worth like $25M AAV). If that’s what it would cost, I’d let him play out the season. Let’s see if he’s that type of elite player in Fangio’s defense first. And if he is, and we still don’t like the demands, we can franchise him for a year or two.
'significantly better player'? To me... that's just a WOW statement. To value those 4 extra sacks per year more than the 40-50 extra tackles that Wilkins gets is just bonkers to me... but I suppose we just are not going to agree on that one.

As far as franchising Wilkins goes... I've mentioned this possibility myself, but it won't save us any money. Next year's franchise fee will be based upon this year's contracts... It would allow us to sign him for a shorter amount of time... just not less money.

I know some in here would love us to trade away half our team in order to make this year's draft more exciting....

Back
Top Bottom