Start of Free Agency - Player news thread. | Page 205 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Start of Free Agency - Player news thread.

'significantly better player'? To me... that's just a WOW statement. To value those 4 extra sacks per year more than the 40-50 extra tackles that Wilkins gets is just bonkers to me... but I suppose we just are not going to agree on that one.

As far as franchising Wilkins goes... I've mentioned this possibility myself, but it won't save us any money. Next year's franchise fee will be based upon this year's contracts... It would allow us to sign him for a shorter amount of time... just not less money.
It’s not about the stats. I just think he’s a significantly better player. I also wouldn’t read that much into the tackle totals. The tackles were at least partly scheme dependent.

For comparison, Zach Sieler ranked fifth among all NFL defensive linemen in total tackles last year (while playing 7% fewer snaps than Wilkins).

The leadership is a big part of why I would like to keep him. You can find slobberknockers to eat up the middle. And while Wilkins is a plus player at doing so, I don't know if his level of production is that much higher than an above average player. At least consistently- he sure flashed as an all pro in some games last year.

That said, he seems to be the heart and soul of the defense. Those intangibles mean a lot and losing a player of that type can be the difference between 11 guys playing defense, and a defense playing as a team.

No slobbernackers take on a double team like Wilkins and then stuff the runner at the line a scrimmage! A Dolphins defense without Christian Wilkins is like

a totally sad thing 👀

Sorry folks, I just can’t help marvelling at my new Avatar - designed by my buddy BC Phins4Life! “Flag on your Knapsack!”

Or in the case of my good ol” buddy JamesWSenior…”Flag on your Nutsack!” Yeehaw!🤠

Last edited:
It’s not about the stats. I just think he’s a significantly better player. I also wouldn’t read that much into the tackle totals. The tackles were at least partly scheme dependent.

For comparison, Zach Sieler ranked fifth among all NFL defensive linemen in total tackles last year (while playing 7% fewer snaps than Wilkins).
Totally agree with you. It’s laughable that some people think Wilkins is top 3 dt. He is really really good. But not top 3. If we was then we would have been pushing the pocket more and getting more sacks without blitzing.

That said. They shoulda got this Wilkins contract done last summer. Now Payne from Washington and Simmons from titans have driven up the market price. Problem is both of those players are better than Wilkins.
Miami understand this and that is why the contract is dragging out. It will probably still get done. But it’s going to cost Miami to 3 or 5 money for d tackle. And he just is not that even with all the tackles.

There have been quite a few posters who have been denying that Christian is worth this much money because 'he doesn't get sacks'. But when you place Wilkins' 8 sacks over the last two years against Simmons and his 16, you have to wonder how much those extra 4 sacks per year are worth, especially considering that Wilkins gets almost twice the number of tackles that Simmons does.
Then you add in the fact that Christian is the emotional leader of our entire defense and I'm going to argue that Wilkins is the more important player.

There is a reason that this contract is taking so long to finish... this is one of those decisions that could go disastrously wrong... or right.
Fans often use one simplistic measure to justify or base their opinion of a player or coach on. Sometimes it's sacks or TDs or W/L playoff wins for a coach or GM. IMO value is based on more than one simplistic measure. Reality is that in a complex game you have to consider multiple factors when evaluating talent. IMO people who try to boil it down to one stat are just communicating that they don't understand the sport enough to consider more than one simple metric.

Fans often use one simplistic measure to justify or base their opinion of a player or coach on. Sometimes it's sacks or TDs or W/L playoff wins for a coach or GM. IMO value is based on more than one simplistic measure. Reality is that in a complex game you have to consider multiple factors when evaluating talent. IMO people who try to boil it down to one stat are just communicating that they don't understand the sport enough to consider more than one simple metric.
I've seen it many times... it's okay, it's just an opinion.
The odd thing is that Wilkins impact and statistics are very similar to what Suh has produced throughout his career and Suh is widely considered to be the best DT of this era other than Donald, but our people just don't appreciate that like our coaches seem to do.

I just mark it up as strange and move on.

No slobbernackers take on a double team like Wilkins and then stuff the runner at the line a scrimmage! A Dolphins defense without Christian Wilkins is like

a totally sad thing 👀

Sorry folks, I just can’t help marvelling at my new Avatar - designed by my buddy BC Phins4Life! “Flag on your Knapsack!”

Or in the case of my good ol” buddy JamesWSenior…”Flag on your Nutsack!” Yeehaw!🤠
Did you know yesterday Stevie was national beaver day in Canada?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230407-142256-793.png
    Screenshot_20230407-142256-793.png
    550.7 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom