Start picking an O line for 2022 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Start picking an O line for 2022

There is no doubt the Dolphins have to sign at least two experienced and talented offensive linemen in free agency. I'd prefer one high level tackle and a center. If there isn't a center worth signing, then Miami should sign two tackles. They should also consider adding someone in the draft if the opportunity presents itself. I would not bring back Dieter next year unless he was going to be a backup. Hunt is the only guy I would bank on as a starter next season. I would let Jackson, Kindley, and Eichenberg battle it out for any of the vacant positions after free agency.
Yeah, they will be battling for the bench LOL... but yes FA for LT for sure and a quality LG and/or centre. Keep Gesicki, if Tua has time to hit him he will be a huge asset.

The reality is that the Dolphins are 8-8, which is not that bad of a record. The Dolphins offense has been inconsistent this season, and so has the team's defense. If one wants to point fingers and place blame there are a few justifiable targets, but to single out the OL play as somehow being the main culprit is absurd.
Oh I see....we are doing the "What If" series thing like Marvel.

Too many fans and media mistakenly believe it is easy and, or, common for a QB to stand in the pocket and have plenty of time, or that running backs should have huge holes open for them. In the NFL that rarely happens for any team. The Dolphins OL steadily improved throughout the season and will be just fine if given the opportunity to play together again next season. For OL play continuity is very helpful. Constant changing of OL players is a primary reason the Jets, Jags, Dolphins, Lions etc... have struggled to have consistently winning teams.
The Chiefs rebuilt their entire Oline in the offseason, literally replaced all 5 guys, and that Oline is a good bit better than last year. The Chargers replaced 4 Olinemen in the offseason, and they are a much better line than last year. It has helped put them in great shape for the playoffs. The Browns replaced 4 starters in the previous offseason, that line was miles better and led them to the playoffs last year, they even won a playoff game. Moral of the story, the continuity you spoke of is important, but having real NFL talent that doesn't get abused is more important

Replacing the OL is a good way to insure the OL is terrible for the 2023 season. The current OL was effective and productive in helping the Dolphins win 7 consecutive games this season.
what-ice-cube.gif

The reality is that the Dolphins are 8-8, which is not that bad of a record. The Dolphins offense has been inconsistent this season, and so has the team's defense. If one wants to point fingers and place blame there are a few justifiable targets, but to single out the OL play as somehow being the main culprit is absurd.
Jesse Davis burner account

Replacing the OL is a good way to insure the OL is terrible for the 2023 season. The current OL was effective and productive in helping the Dolphins win 7 consecutive games this season.
Every offseason I wonder which Miami Dolphins coach is going to sneak onto Finheaven to defend himself anonymously. I see this year it's the offensive line coach and the assistant offensive line coach....to be honest it would take both of them to come up with an idea and follow it to execution as well as we see here.

LT - Armstead

LG - Kindley...I still think he's the player from his rookie season and not the victim of this season. A veteran LT will be a big help.

C - Dieter

RG - Hunt...even though he should have been allowed to develop at RT.

RT - Kenyon Green (G/RT) out of TAMU.

Switch Jackson or Eichenberg (neither really accounted all that well for themslves) with Roderick Johnson. Give Jesse Davis his walking papers...you already gave him a nice payday. Bring Boehm back into the fold.

Effective and productive??! The fins Oline was effective and productive this year? We won in spite of their terrible play… in no way we’re they ever consistently effective or productive, hence their 32nd rating

The one advantage we have over other teams is we have one of the richest owners in the NFL. We can overpay coaches, we just need the best. No salary cap on coaching

Here is what I predict -

Left Tackle - Terron Armstead - I think we go all out and give him as much as possible on a 4-5 year deal. He will be 31 at the start of next season, but I don't think it matters. We need to spend money, and I think it needs to be on a tackle. He's really the only sure thing at left tackle out there, so I assume he will be priority A.

Left Guard - Battle between Darian Kinnard, Liam Eichenberg, Solomon Kindley, Austin Jackson, Robert Jones - I could see them letting the young guys compete for this spot next to Armstead. Kindley needs to make major strides to go back here. I could see him being a surprise cut candidate. Best case scenario Eichenberg and Jackson show development but the one who is better will probably end up at RT. I could see us using our 3rd and a 4th to move to the end of the 2nd and drafting a guy like Kinnard, Faalale or staying in the 3rd and taking a guy like Zach Tom. For the sake of this I am going to put Kinnard, but have a gut feeling we will like Toms ability to play any position on the line.

Center - Battle between Michael Deiter and Justin Britt - Deiter has shown signs of improvement, and his PFF numbers aren't bad. As a low cost guy who had potential, especially if we keep Tua, I might want to keep them together. This could change if we move on from Tua. However, I definitely think we try to upgrade from Mancz. We will bring in Britt, who is very similarly sized to Deiter, to have an open competition and see which makes our line click. Zach Tom will be added to this competition if we take him.

Right Guard - Robert Hunt - I think he deserves to go into year 3 with a set position. He has been a bright spot this year, and is definitely improving as a player. I could see him locking down this spot a while.

Right Tackle - Battle between Liam Eichenberg, Germain Ifedi, Darian Kinnard and Austin Jackson - I have Ifedi as a guy who we may earmark in FA if Jeanpierre returns as OL coach. Ifedi went to Seattle the year Jeanpierre left and Jeanpierre came back and coached Ifedi for a year. I think knowing his job is on the line, he will push for a guy with experience who he is familiar with. I don't think Ifedi will be guaranteed a starting spot, but I see him replacing in the Jesse Davis role. He will compete with Eichenberg and Jackson. May the best man win. I think one of these 4 will be RT and the 2nd best will be LG (not Ifedi at LG, if he doesn't start he'll be that backup swing tackle)

First we need to find a very competent ol coach then focus on a left tackle and center in FA and the draft.
With our leftover Oline draft pick etc from this year if we had a do over and or had to play them next year I would choose these positions.
LT Jackson
LG Davis / Kindley
C Dieter Kara's
RG Liam
RT Hunt
Why I chose this lineup
Liam E came out as a starting RT in the draft guides with short arms.
Hunt was showing some promise last year at RT even though he probably plays better as a guard.
Davis best position he had played is left guard in prior years.
Kindley started at left guard and showed some promise and somehow regressed this year.
Jackson has left tackle feet hard to find but like Kindley somehow has regressed this year.
Dieter has been a surprise this year but improvement is needed.
I am intrigued with our roomies idea Jones and our 7th round ok pick on ir

A good Oline coach has some talent to work with here throw in a veteran center and LT and we can turn around this unit quickly.

I don't know a lot about offensive line play, so I rely on people who do. I wish Baldy would do a segment on the Dolphins O Line and the way they play. Baldy seems to know what he is talking about when it comes to the issue of offensive lines, technique, and what works and doesn't work. I'm going to take a wild guess at this and say that if Baldy were to do a segment on the Dolphins O Line, I'm guessing his segment and review of the Dolphins O line and they way they play would not be too flattering.

Back
Top Bottom