Stedman Bailey Is The Center of The Draft Strategy - The Perfect Storm | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stedman Bailey Is The Center of The Draft Strategy - The Perfect Storm

TrinidadDolfan

1st Team All-Pro
Reaction score
I am salivating over Bailey, and he is the main reason I would trade down, although I am sure that his draft stock will rise after the Combine.

My ideal scenario is big receiver FA (Jennings or Walace), trade back to the 20's for an extra 2nd and a 4th (correct value using the draft value chart), and pick up Bailey in latter half of Rd. 1.

Therefore our position would be this:

Jennings/Wallace + Stedman Bailey + Bess (let Hartline walk)

After Rd. 1 is complete: We would have - Rd. 2, Rd. 2, Rd. 2, Rd. 3, Rd. 3, Rd. 4, Rd. 4

=> Jennings/Wallace + Stedman Bailey + 3x 2nd. round picks, 2x 3rd. round picks, 2 x 4th round picks

Now, this is just my opinion, and it is based on my feeling (right or wrong) that Stedman Bailey:
a) Is destined to be a star in this league
b) Has "deep ball" willingness and talent like no other receiver in this draft. And is exactly what we need to "stretch" the field and get away from our permanent "red-zone"-type offence

I am sure that this strategy will attract some champions but also some detractors who will inevitably state that:
a) We cannot trade down without a "dance-partner" - This is true in all cases, it takes 2 to tango. But that does not mean it is not possible or likely
b) I am "tired" of trading down, lets stay high and get some playmakers! - O.k, I am all for staying high and adding playmakers if I believe that the value is there. Bailey, in my opinion, is severly underrated, and I would actually choose him, straight-up, over any other receiver in this class. Forget YAC for a second, let's focus on the deep threat, that is what he is.
c) We need someone to protect Tannehill, a DE next to Wake, and we need a CB! - Granted and agreed. But, the fact is that any mediocre GM with the cap space we have, can adequately fill at least one of those 3 positions of need through FA. That leaves 2 holes to fill and 7 picks in Rd. 2-4 to do so. That leads me to believe that we could conceivably double-up on each position (that would take 4 picks) and leave 3 picks to address other areas in "eaarly" rounds, and still leave room for boom/bust rolls of the dice, BEFORE we even start picking in Rd. 5!. I am quite big on leaving room for boom/bust chances once major holes are filled. Say what you want about Jimmy Johnson, but I am a big fan of what he once said: "Why settle for mediocrity, when you can take a chance to be great?". Honeybadger anyone? Not sure, but I would take a long, hard look. You catch the drift...

There is my strategy and first-pass rebuttals to anticipated arguments against.

I welcome all thoughts and arguments for & against. CK, I would be very interested for you to chime in here, either for or against. Cheers everyone.....

He's projected to go in the 2nd round. Why would we have to trade back into the 1st to get him? :ponder:

I am similarly big on Stedman Bailey. True, he may not last until #42, but remember there's probably Patterson, Allen, Woods, Patton, Austin and maybe Wheaton getting drafted in front of him, so it's not for certain where he'll shake out. If he has a great Combine and proves he is a 4.45-4.50 runner, he might climb to the lower reaches of Round 1. But who will fall then?

I'd be all for a trade-down this year, but I don't think there'll be many takers for a trade-up and plenty of teams who would drop a few rungs in return for picks. So, I would love your scenario, but I don't think it's one we can realistically plan for. We might have more success moving up from #42 to get Bailey.

He has been grossly underrated so far. Most gurus and websites had him 3rd or 4th round.

Must be the tale of the tape taking over.

Why does it take professional scouts hours of tape review to see what most people see right away.

Ya, the Dolphins should be focused on him; which is why they should ignore him completely at the combine and pro day.

Never let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking.

Bailey has everything you want in a WR except he is small. Not every prospect is a megatron.

He may run a low 4.4, and if he does he could go to the 49ers at the end of the 1st.

I don't have a problem with trading back to get some more picks if we can still get an impact player and then not screw up the 2nd round picks. Our history isn't exactly glorious with our 2nd round picks, so getting more may or may not be good depending who gets to make the call on those picks. ITS!MATEO has a point that Bailey is most likely a 2nd round pick. I'm not sure even the combine is going to push him up into the first. If he stays as a 2nd round prospect, then we grab him early in the 2nd with one of our picks and use the late 1st to get another play-maker in another spot of need.

He's projected to go in the 2nd round. Why would we have to trade back into the 1st to get him? :ponder:

Because, I believe that there is a great chance his stock rises after the combine.
Also, he could be so important to our "needs", that I would rather take him at the bottom of the 1st than "hope" he is there when we pick in the 2nd.

If Bailey were the only WR we drafted, I would be happy. All the guy does is score. Interested to see where he goes after all is said and done. I could see the Steelers or Patriots nabbing him earlier than predicted.

I am similarly big on Stedman Bailey. True, he may not last until #42, but remember there's probably Patterson, Allen, Woods, Patton, Austin and maybe Wheaton getting drafted in front of him, so it's not for certain where he'll shake out. If he has a great Combine and proves he is a 4.45-4.50 runner, he might climb to the lower reaches of Round 1. But who will fall then?

I'd be all for a trade-down this year, but I don't think there'll be many takers for a trade-up and plenty of teams who would drop a few rungs in return for picks. So, I would love your scenario, but I don't think it's one we can realistically plan for. We might have more success moving up from #42 to get Bailey.

You may well be right. However, I feel that a trade-back is always possible, if the price is right.
Instead of a 2nd and 4th, I would settle for a 2nd and 3rd next year... or another combination that involves value and certainly a 2nd

Just watched some of him, from what I saw...he is not that explosive..he does not play that fast either...

He does however break a ton of tackles and loves contact...gotta like that in a football player...He is always looking to go down field..

Has good hands..plays ball at the highest point

Has a knack for making the big play and smells the end zone...

We need that..I dont see him as a first rounder tho...

I would say he a 3rd rounder..late 2nd at best.

^^^^ Did the above poster just say Bailey ISN'T that Explosive? Wow!

Im big on Bailey as well! I really dont want to trade back though, I think we need to use that 12 pick for some playmaking talent..

btw, big up Trini massive!!

Assuming we sign Wallace I would say any WR Miami drafts will be a large WR. I like Bailey but would prefer Hunter or Allen in the second.

Just watched some of him, from what I saw...he is not that explosive..he does not play that fast either...

He does however break a ton of tackles and loves contact...gotta like that in a football player...He is always looking to go down field..

Has good hands..plays ball at the highest point

Has a knack for making the big play and smells the end zone...

We need that..I dont see him as a first rounder tho...

I would say he a 3rd rounder..late 2nd at best.

Respect your opinion, but wow, did you just say that Bailey is not that explosive? Wow. Explosive is what he is, and trust me....he will not make it far down the board come draft day. If he makes it out of Rd 1, he will be snapped very early in Rd. 2. And THAT lucky team will likely have a deep threat for years

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

ncf_week12_16-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom