Stop 1 draft pick in the last 10 years. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stop 1 draft pick in the last 10 years.

If you could stop us from drafting 1 player in the last 10 years who would it be and who would you draft instead?

I'm going to stop the drafting of Billy Turner and draft a future 5 time pro bowl guard in Trai Turner. For a short while that will give us Laremy Tunsil, Ja'Wuan James, Trai Turner and Mike Pouncey on the OL. With an OL this good maybe Tannehill doesn't get injured in 2016 vs the Cards and we end up beating the Steelers in the playoffs than who knows what happens.
Great answer! That line looks good on paper too bad all of them have been shown the door! We haven't replaced the key guys and we need to right after QB. We'll snag a QB at 5. I just don't know who it'll be. If we are not aggressive and just sit at 5 Tua, Burrow and Herbert could be gone. We'd go right into panic mode and pick Love at 5 imo. Later they'll say he was their guy all along. If that happens Love better be fantastic or Grier is out. If I'm Grier I go up and get who I want. You have the picks and this is why you acquired the picks. The picks were for leverage. Were going to need some of that leverage if we want to get our guy and not start settling and screw up like the Tannehill pick. We need a brilliant QB to root for and this draft has several.

I would veto the Ted Ginn pick. Not saying I would take Brady Quinn or anyone else off the top of my head...but that pick seriously took years off of my life.

The surprise in the commissioner's voice when he read the pick, the "wow" Brady Quinn mouthed afterward, the Cam Cameron "We need those thumbs to go in this direction" to an angry mob of Dolphins fans....I still remember every detail of where I was like those people who lived through the JFK assassination.
I agree though I still would have taken his entire family.

I would veto the Ted Ginn pick. Not saying I would take Brady Quinn or anyone else off the top of my head...but that pick seriously took years off of my life.

The surprise in the commissioner's voice when he read the pick, the "wow" Brady Quinn mouthed afterward, the Cam Cameron "We need those thumbs to go in this direction" to an angry mob of Dolphins fans....I still remember every detail of where I was like those people who lived through the JFK assassination.
Ginn has been so much better than Brady Quinn was as an NFL player, it isn’t even close. Most Dolphin fans wanted Quinn but as bad a head coach as Cameron was, at least he was smart enough to bypass Quinn and draft Ginn and his family. As bad as the pick seemed at the time, Ginn, Adrian Peterson and Greg Olson were the only first round picks from 2007 who were still on NFL rosters last season. Overall Ginn has been a productive player for several teams over his 13 years in the league and he certainly has not been the bust so many Dolphin fans considered him to be when he was traded by the Dolphins.

Hated Ohio state, but was thoroughly impressed with Ginn in college. He has been a good NFL talent. Not a first rounder career but most aren't.

The trade up for Jordan, who i didn't know anything about, would be the one i want back.

Brown and Long are the only other top 5 picks I remember and they both had good careers. Frickin San Fran playing games with us trying to work us over for Alex Smith when they were projected to and clearly should have taken Aaron Rodgers. They were the bigger fools that year. We could have done better...

The more I think about it, the are a lot of teams out there who draft worse than we do. Glad I'm not a bears fan right now...

The only answer is Tanny. I like him, but it didn't work out. Give me a shot with someone else. 7 years wasted whether it was his fault or not.

Lane Johnson instead of Dion Jordan in 2013. DeMarcus Lawrence instead of Ja’Wuan James in 2014. T.J. Watt instead of Charles Harris in 2017. Derwin James instead of Minkah Fitzpatrick in 2018. Suffice to say we have done a terrible job drafting in the 1st round for 20+ years. These aren’t hindsight picks by the way; these are guys I really hoped we would draft. Heck, the 2018 draft was super talented and there were 3-4 guys I wanted more than Minkah. I saw him as a luxury pick that didn’t really address our needs at the time.

10 years knocks out R.Brown for A.Rodgers, so I have to go with R.Tannehill. I was so high on Russell Wilson. I watched the boy play at NC State and Wisconsin. I can't believe he feel to round 3. Its said to look back and see how trash our front office has been.

Agree that TANNEHILL is the one to not draft.

A close second is the trade up with the raiders to draft Oregon LB instead of drafting Lane Johnson who is a pro bowler.

2009 ... Pat White #2..... Lesean McCoy, Mike Wallace were available
2010 ... Jared Odrick #1, Koa Misi #2 and John Jerry #3 .... Gronk available at pick #! ... Gronk available at pick #2 .... Jimmy Graham also available at #1,2 or 3
2011.... Daniel Thomas #2 ... Demarco Murray was there
2012 ... Ryan Tannehill #1 ... Jonathon Martin #2 ...Wilson , Foles, Cousins all available with pick !, 2 or 3
2013 ... Dion Jordan #1 ,,, Jamar Taylor #2 and Dallas Thomas #3
2014 ... Billy Turner #3 and Walt Aikens #4
2015 ... Jordan Phillips #@ and Jamil Douglas #4
2016 ... Leonte Carroo #3
2017 ... Charles Harris #1

We obviously haven't done a great job identifying talent ..... good thing the team had all that time for meeting players and going through interviews and workouts LMAO

I guess you could find some peace of mind knowing every team makes the same type of mistakes ... only 1 team out of 32 got it right by blind luck or whatever let them stumble on a gem after all teams passed him up at least once ...

It's silly to me that with all the resources teams have they still completely miss so often ... scouting departments need a different approach as this happens every year ...
I don't mean occasionally missing or prioritizing a different position at the time of your pick .... I mean passing up talent for bozos ... that is a mistake on many levels and it shouldn't happen as often as it does ... IMO

2012 with the 8th selection, general manager Jeff Ireland set the Miami dolphins organization back ten year by selecting Ryan Tannehill.
Selecting tannehill was worse for the origination than trading up for Harris.

Back
Top Bottom