Street & Smith's Dolphins Analysis | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Street & Smith's Dolphins Analysis

ChambersNBoston said:
I prefer the Lindy's football preview...indepth and fairly accurate.

That is exactly right. Lindy's is by far the best. not only do they have previews of every team, they have previews of every PLAYER on the roster who wasn't an UDFA. Then, they do an in depth review of every player drafted and have all the teams together. then they give a look ahead to next years draft.

Let's face it though guys, this team is going to finish 4th in the AFCE and they DON'T have any offensive lineman to speak of. carey WON'T start.

They're right in that Carter and Holliday don't fit well into a 3-4 only defense. Good thing that's now what we're doing though.

Not good, but not a totally awful write-up outside of the Booker comment and the Safety analysis. If they watched the slow footed Knight and perpetually out of position Freeman/edwards last year they'd have known that.

1. Predicted to be 4th in AFC EAST. --Maybe but where would you expect to be
2. Gives us a grade of 76, which ranks as 25th in the league.-Based on Last year not potential
3. They predict Gus Frerotte to win the QB job.-- Dont think so but we will do fine with either one
4. States Sammy Morris and Lamar Gordon are nothing more then just average backups.-- Who cares Ricky is a Pro Bowl back up and Minor is a good back up.
5. Ronnie Brown is going to be a great back, and they have him as the 2nd best rookie to watch this season behind Carnell.-- Okay well take that
6. McMichael is one of the best TEs in the game and rival's Gonzalez and Heap.-- No kidding
7. Chambers is a very good player who could breakout this season.-Ditto
8. They state that Booker is not very good and could lose out to Derrius Thompson. :lol: Yeah right can you say BOSTON
9. Other then Jeno James, no real Offensive Lineman.--We will see
10. Vernon Carey won't start.-- ditto
11. Kevin Carter and Vonnie Holliday NOT suited for a 3-4 defense.-- Thank Goodness considering we are not running a 3-4
12. Tillman and Jones are downgrade at saftey.-- They must not know how bad our safteys were last year and isnt Sabans specialty d backs
13. Even though Defense is aging, could have still be very good.
14. Welker is an amazing special-teams player.
15. Saban was the right man for the job.--The last 3 hit the nail on the heads

AFC EAST Rankings of note:

Best Reciever: Chris Chambers
Special-teams warrior: Wes Welker
Best Intellect: Jason Taylor

S&S lost all thier credibility years ago.....

It used to be the "bible" that all followed for information. Now they cant even get simple things right like rosters. I stopped getting S&S, both college and pro, about 4 years (maybe 5) ago.

These football "experts" don't know what they are talking about.

:lastyr:

Nublar7 said:
Street & Smith released their 2005 Pro Football Preview book today. They were not too kind to us, but here is some of the highlights they give on us(I don't not agree with most of these statements, I am just writing what they have):

1. Predicted to be 4th in AFC EAST.
2. Gives us a grade of 76, which ranks as 25th in the league.
3. They predict Gus Frerotte to win the QB job.
4. States Sammy Morris and Lamar Gordon are nothing more then just average backups.
5. Ronnie Brown is going to be a great back, and they have him as the 2nd best rookie to watch this season behind Carnell.
6. McMichael is one of the best TEs in the game and rival's Gonzalez and Heap.
7. Chambers is a very good player who could breakout this season.
8. They state that Booker is not very good and could lose out to Derrius Thompson. :rolleyes:
9. Other then Jeno James, no real Offensive Lineman.
10. Vernon Carey won't start.
11. Kevin Carter and Vonnie Holliday NOT suited for a 3-4 defense. :rolleyes:
12. Tillman and Jones are downgrade at saftey.
15. Saban was the right man for the job.

1) True... saban is blowing this team up, you just dont realize it yet...
2)76? Thats generous, I'll take that! I was thinking more like 71..72
3)Just a matter of time, got to give Feeley a shot, we paid alot for him....
4)Thats what an exclusive third down back is, average...
5)Debateable... Carnell, Benson, Brown is my order, but ok, he's the second best, and we passed on the BEST!!
6)Randy is the best, one day he might get to show it!
7)Chambers has always been a good player, whats new? we got a decent QB in Ferrote finally.
8)That will be the day, same thing holding booker back is what is holding Chambers back, a lack of QB talent. Ferrotte will be the best QB we've had in a while. should be interesting.
9)True, but we do have a great OL coach FINALLY!
10)I bet the big guy finally gets in the game..
11)Its irrelevant, we dont have a SS LB, we CANT play the 3-4 anyways.
12)We are hit at Safety!
13)No, JT is still going to be great!
14)Yes he is
15)I am beginning to believe otherwise, if he signs Law, he has definately got to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If he doesnt, good man. He's desperate, and it's showing though. Inexperience, ill-knowledge, wrong mindset, whatever it is, if he signs Law, he has to go!!!!

B

Nublar7 said:
Street & Smith released their 2005 Pro Football Preview book today. They were not too kind to us, but here is some of the highlights they give on us(I don't not agree with most of these statements, I am just writing what they have):

Predictions from these guys of course are no more valid than anyone on here making a prediction but I think the key to our seasons success lies squarely on points numbers 3,9.

If Frerotte does in fact show himself to be better suited for the QB job than AJ Feeley then obviously you can deem the AJ Feeley trade a bust at that point and I feel no better about a Frerotte led offense than I do a Jay Fiedler led offense.

If no one other than Jeno James steps up on the OL and it's just as inept as last year of course we are in for a high draft pick once again.

If both positions turn out this way than we probably will end up 4th in the AFC East.

On the other hand if AJ Feeley steps up and becomes the talent that some think he can be and if the OL steps it up with the new additions and new coach then there is no reason we can't be a playoff team this year.

To me it's clear that these 2 positions are the key to whether we get a top 10 draft pick next year or a spot in the playoffs.

enigmatics said:
No offense, but these people DO know things. That's why they're in the business, putting out magazines and their access to teams and what's happening is alot more than I can say for the majority of us. I'm not going to sit there and say I agree with them, but c'mon - it's possible. Your optimism with the team has nothing to do with anything other than it's your team. It's the homer in your that blatantly wants to disagree.

As you said, nobody really knows what the seasons holds. Surely there are at least some indicators. But, you cannot chastize somebody for their opinion if you fully believe that logic as you have stated.

if i may, Street & Smith's has not been very good for around 15 years... it's not the same group of writers nor publishing co. from the 80s when it was a premier source for football... lindy sucks also, imho...

here's a tip when buying football preview magazines: lots of flash, graphics, tables, bar graph comparisons and short analysis? don't bother... if they're already on the store shelves this early before any camps, they don't have a clue.... Folks, the only season preview magazines that matter won't be out for a while: Pro Football Weekly and Sporting News... other than those, save your $8.....

take a look at your Street & Smith's from seasons past, and check out how their "predictions" turned out... those guys know no more than you or i....

but they do enjoy your money....

LithoMan said:
15)I am beginning to believe otherwise, if he signs Law, he has definately got to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If he doesnt, good man. He's desperate, and it's showing though. Inexperience, ill-knowledge, wrong mindset, whatever it is, if he signs Law, he has to go!!!!

That's right if he signs Law we have to fire Saban IMMEDIATELY! :rolleyes:

:roflmao:

Ugh. I saw that at Publix yesterday, I read less than a paragraph and gave up on it. They basically just echo the same winning teams from last year.

Tillman sucks oh and yeah they don't know what they are talking about. Chambers, best wr in the AFCE? :crazy:

Justasportsfan said:
Tillman sucks oh and yeah they don't know what they are talking about. Chambers, best wr in the AFCE? :crazy:

Well right now he isn't but he will, especially with a qb that could actually reach him, an actual scheme, the line actually improving a little and actually blocking, and a good running back to take pressure off of Feeley/Frerrote,last year was just a **** hole, every single miami player didn't play as well as they have in the past seasons. erase last season and you have only the 2002 season which wasn't good for chambers, but that was the year he got clobbered in the head by kenoy kennedy in the denver game with a lingering concussion, wasn't the same for that season. he had a good rookie season, most rookies don't get 1,000 yards, and 2003 he just missed a 1,000 with the qb swapping between griese, and fiedler, and 80% of the offense being a hand off to ricky williams. He was only thirty seven yards short of a 1,000, but he will break 1,000 and more this season. Everybody talks about yards, but aren't touchdowns are what gives a team points? helps them win a a game. Chambers in 2003 had 11TDs third highest in the league, therefore providing miami with 77points. Only Randy Moss and Torry Holt had more TDS,It's pretty good to be in a catergory ranked along with receivers like that. Moulds on his best year had 10Tds, don't get me wrong Moulds is a great receiver, but he's gettting older, I believe chambers will breakout, will be the best receiver in the division, but if he doesn't do well this season then I will agree with everyon that he's an underachiever, but the jury is still out, he's had solid numbers, now it's time to go to the next level. http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1196. It seems like he's not going to do that well this year, some reason he plays good on the even # year, and no the odd year

Nublar7 said:

1. Predicted to be 4th in AFC EAST.
2. Gives us a grade of 76, which ranks as 25th in the league.
4. States Sammy Morris and Lamar Gordon are nothing more then just average backups.
5. Ronnie Brown is going to be a great back, and they have him as the 2nd best rookie to watch this season behind Carnell.
6. McMichael is one of the best TEs in the game and rival's Gonzalez and Heap.
7. Chambers is a very good player who could breakout this season.
8. They state that Booker is not very good and could lose out to Derrius Thompson. :rolleyes:
10. Vernon Carey won't start.
11. Kevin Carter and Vonnie Holliday NOT suited for a 3-4 defense. :rolleyes:
12. Tillman and Jones are downgrade at saftey.
15. Saban was the right man for the job.

1. and 2. We'll see.
3. Definitely possible.
4. - 7. I agree.
8. I thinker Booker will have a great turnaround year.
9. Hard to argue that, although it can only get better w/Houck.
10. We'll see.
11. We're not playing a 3-4 base, but they'll be fine when we throw it in from time to time.
12. - 15. I agree.

I don't strongly disagree with any of their assessments besides Booker, and predictions are predictions.

cltchperf said:
Well right now he isn't but he will, especially with a qb that could actually reach him, an actual scheme, the line actually improving a little and actually blocking, and a good running back to take pressure off of Feeley/Frerrote,last year was just a **** hole, every single miami player didn't play as well as they have in the past seasons. erase last season and you have only the 2002 season which wasn't good for chambers, but that was the year he got clobbered in the head by kenoy kennedy in the denver game with a lingering concussion, wasn't the same for that season. he had a good rookie season, most rookies don't get 1,000 yards, and 2003 he just missed a 1,000 with the qb swapping between griese, and fiedler, and 80% of the offense being a hand off to ricky williams. He was only thirty seven yards short of a 1,000, but he will break 1,000 and more this season. Everybody talks about yards, but aren't touchdowns are what gives a team points? helps them win a a game. Chambers in 2003 had 11TDs third highest in the league, therefore providing miami with 77points. Only Randy Moss and Torry Holt had more TDS,It's pretty good to be in a catergory ranked along with receivers like that. Moulds on his best year had 10Tds, don't get me wrong Moulds is a great receiver, but he's gettting older, I believe chambers will breakout, will be the best receiver in the division, but if he doesn't do well this season then I will agree with everyon that he's an underachiever, but the jury is still out, he's had solid numbers, now it's time to go to the next level. http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1196. It seems like he's not going to do that well this year, some reason he plays good on the even # year, and no the odd year
I know chambbers potentially has what it takes to be a great reciever. Is the opinion of the article based on potential or fact? This is why I take so called experts opinion w/ a grain of salt. They've been known to make mistakes. Their opinion is just as good as ours.

Justasportsfan said:
I know chambbers potentially has what it takes to be a great reciever. Is the opinion of the article based on potential or fact? This is why I take so called experts opinion w/ a grain of salt. They've been known to make mistakes. Their opinion is just as good as ours.

Exactamundo. That's why it's stupid to get into this hypothetical debate of who knows more about the NFL, some magazine writer or some fan forum enthusiast.

Back
Top Bottom