Sugar Bowl thread let's get a look at Mallett | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sugar Bowl thread let's get a look at Mallett

It wasn't an all out blitz. The person may have meant that they had that mentality to finish the game, but that last play definitely wasn't. It was a zone blitz. The purpose of a zone blitz is to have a blitzer coming from each throwing lane/gap and have someone dropping back in an area that the defense forces the hot read to. Its something that coaches use after watching film on ANY team and gameplan for. Every offensive play have your first second and third options (except for the fins) and hot routes depending on the look.

The lineman wasn't standing. Came off the ball in perfect pass rush (first two steps forward) dropped back into coverage... and drifted as the play forces the qb to a certain direction. If you look at the replay the pass was dead on to an open quick route reciever but the dlineman made a hell of a play and its was a FANTASTIC call.

Just dropping knowledge... I know that Mallett throws picks and what kind of player he is... but any qb could have made that same mistake in that situation.

Dropping defensive lineman are very hard for even the best QBs to see at times. I agree. It doesn't mean it's acceptable but the tradeoff is that defensive lineman generally aren't very athletic or good in space. In this case, the guy made a very good play. As much as anything, that INT fit into Mallett's narrative. The people who've seen him a lot sort of expect that kind of thing and there it was, a mistake in a critical juncture.

A throw like a drive or two earlier where Mallett misread the zone and the corner drove on the ball to the outside and should have taken it to the house was a worse decision and throw, IMO. Only it was dropped. There were a few others before that were dropped, also. I guess that's a saving grace for the guy. He throws such a hard ball no one can catch it, offense or defense.

Gator, I'm not a draft expert or a mechanics expert to tell you what you're looking for. From my eyes, Newton has a much nicer throwing arm and motion than Young & Tebow.. I could see Newton going right behind Luck... The cons, I don't know, high risk, high reward... in the end it's all kind of a crapshoot... I would have told you that I thought Matt Leinart was a franchise QB also, so it's hard to tell, even for the "so called experts"

Roon, stop with the HOF comparisons... you are embaressing yourself... those guys also relied on their intellect and feel for the game.

Dropping defensive lineman are very hard for even the best QBs to see at times. I agree. It doesn't mean it's acceptable but the tradeoff generally is that defensive lineman generally aren't very athletic or good in space. In this case, the guy made a very good play. As much as anything, that INT fit into Mallett's narrative. The people who've seen him a lot sort of expect that kind of thing and there it was, a mistake in a critical juncture.

A throw like a drive or two earlier where Mallett misread the zone and the corner drove on the ball to the outside and should have taken it to the house was a worse decision and throw, IMO. Only it was dropped. There were a few others before that were dropped, also. I guess that's a saving grace for the guy. He throws such a hard ball no one can catch it, offense or defense.

i agree with that...that was the one read and decision i saw today that i said to myself...bad decision got away with one there...

i guess i need to get into some more stuff on mallet cause i haven't seen evidence yet of him making the crucial mistake down late this season...i thought he forced the ball vs bama late trying to stay in the game but a lot of pro qbs even will force the ball when they have to make plays to compete

Watching now on DVR...so, don't know what has happened except up to 7-7. So, not going to read other posts until I'm done watching...

Mallet is the QB I believe we will have a shot at getting; however, I am not really sold on him. He goes through periods where he looks great and then throws a pick out of nowhere. Happened in just about every game I saw him in this year (I think about 4 or 5 times.)

He was pretty good accuracy, but I'm not sure about how well he reads the defense.

He didn't see the LB and threw a pick out of the blue...who would have thought that. Oh...wait...^^^^

All I know is, I saw some damn good throws from Mallett, and a ton of dropped passes. I also saw an offensive line that didn't give him more than two seconds to get rid of the ball. I went into that game thinking how people say that he doesn't have a touch pass, and I saw several passes that were located perfectly, with a whole lot of touch on them.

The thing I don't like about Mallett is his articulation. He talks like he is a white suburban gangster. When you hear somebody talk how he does, the first thing you assume is that he isn't very educated.

[video=youtube;folWxFenWSw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=folWxFenWSw[/video]

Obviously, I have no idea what kind of intelligence this kid has, but my Dad always said "Smart people use smart language", and he just sounds uneducated.

ehhh...ryan mallet comes off like eminem in an interview...can't say i like that very much

I'd rather take a chance on an intelligent guy with a good release and good feet who doesn't have experience playing against D1 athletes than a dumb guy with bad feet and a rocket arm.

In other words, based on what I've seen, I'd draft Devlin at #15 before I would Mallet. Unless he absolutely lights up the Senior Bowl, I wouldn't draft him there, but I'd rather have him than Mallet.

If you look at successful QB's you can correlate their success to good feet and intelligence. Think of a top-caliber QB who doesn't have good feet and and understanding of how to read D's? How many terrible QB's in the NFL have rocket arms? Plenty.

I'd rather take a chance on an intelligent guy with a good release and good feet who doesn't have experience playing against D1 athletes than a dumb guy with bad feet and a rocket arm.

In other words, based on what I've seen, I'd draft Devlin at #15 before I would Mallet. Unless he absolutely lights up the Senior Bowl, I wouldn't draft him there, but I'd rather have him than Mallet.

If you look at successful QB's you can correlate their success to good feet and intelligence. Think of a top-caliber QB who doesn't have good feet and and understanding of how to read D's? How many terrible QB's in the NFL have rocket arms? Plenty.

Coming out, Peyton Manning was seen as having happy feet. He still kind of does.

Coming out, Peyton Manning was seen as having happy feet. He still kind of does.

I'm assuming this meant to be a defense of Mallett's poor feet. Manning moves well in the pocket, and he slides well to open space; he has pocket awareness. Mallett doesn't move well in the pocket.

Back
Top Bottom