Sugar Bowl thread let's get a look at Mallett | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sugar Bowl thread let's get a look at Mallett

Oh I would certainly would have no problem trading up for Gabbert. I just don't see how we can do it. Without a 2nd round pick and considering the cba agreement might not allow players to be traded for picks... that puts us in a tough spot. If I had to pick trading up for Gabbert or staying for Mallet, I would do the former with little hesitation.

Present picks, future picks, if we're allowed to trade players, you do it. If he's our guy, you do it.

If we can't get Luck, I'll trade a lot for Newton... just cause he's black doesn't mean he's Vince Young.... Haven't seen much of Gabbert or Weeden

The great thing about getting a franchise QB, even if it sets you back a bit in terms of draft ammunition and talent on your roster, is you'll have 10+ years to get that talent back, and you'll keep winning the whole time, and you might even win a Super Bowl without having the best talent.

The great thing about getting a franchise QB, even if it sets you back a bit in terms of draft ammunition and talent on your roster, is you'll have 10+ years to get that talent back, and you'll keep winning the whole time, and you might even win a Super Bowl without having the best talent.

yeah...no doubt...but they are so few and far between...

given that you claimed Ryan Mallett was actually throwing passes away in this game.

Ryan Mallet threw a couple of balls out of bounds, and a couple into the ground. I saw four. CK claimed none. Even so, he attempted 47 passes, of which many were dropped, and threw 2 TDs, plus another that was dropped, and a pick. Hardly a terrible game. But go on with hating.

Brian Rolle in interview, asked about after the blocked punt, their mentality. Answer?

Expect the NFL to keep blitzing him and blitzing him and blitzing him until he proves he can beat it.

Definitely a big concern given his lack of mobility and questionable accuracy on the run....if you call that running. Makes me lean more toward Newton. This obviously assuming Luck and likely Gabbert won't be attainable even in trades. I can see Newton falling some given his run first reputation in that offense. Currently I have it Luck, Gabbert, Newton, Mallett, then Devlin. Just don't want Locker at any cost.

Present picks, future picks, if we're allowed to trade players, you do it. If he's our guy, you do it.

This is a good year for it, too. Lots of QBs with lots of different skill sets. It could diffuse the obsession with this player or that. One guy who has a history of being aggressive toward getting his QB is Shanahan. He learned his lesson trying to rely on Bubby Brister and didn't hesitate to move up and grab Cutler, much to my dismay. I could see him coveting Gabbert. He's taken chances on his fair share of questionable character people, so I wouldn't rule out Newton, even though I just think Newton is going to be too much for Buffalo to ignore.

This ^ Thats why id trade anything (within slight reason) for the 1st pick.. Im talking Wake, 2 firsts, and next years second. (which how could that not get it done) Look at it from their prespective, its not a bad deal.. + they could take our first this year, and draft someone like Gabbert (trade up if need be) who projects as a franchise QB while getting a sack monster and another 1st and 2nd round pick

Roon, you're too focused on stats. It's about making plays when it matters most, you know that... Arkansas defense and special teams practically won the game and Mallett had 2 drives in the final 5 minutes to win it, and he choked. Yes, dropped pass hurt, but you can make excuses day long. The fact remains he cost his team the game.

Ryan Mallet threw a couple of balls out of bounds, and a couple into the ground. I saw four. CK claimed none. Even so, he attempted 47 passes, of which many were dropped, and threw 2 TDs, plus another that was dropped, and a pick. Hardly a terrible game. But go on with hating.

Those were poor throws. Not throwaways. On the long ball that went like six yards out of bounds he actually threw his hands up like he expected a pass interference call.

I agree it was hardly a terrible game and never claimed it was. But Mallett's shortcomings as a prospect are exactly the kind of thing that NFL defenses can and will exploit. Mercilessly.

It wasn't a game sealer but it was a bad choice at a point in the game when he needed to be safer with the ball. The difference is that Gabbert doesn't have a history of that, it was an uncharacteristic move, and he tried to make up for it with some good throws when he got the ball back, and was let down a little (similarly to Mallett). Those who have paid attention to Mallett recognized that final throw and interception. They've seen it before. They could have even predicted it. Those that follow Blaine Gabbert saw that interception and were like "whoa, that's unusual".

Another big over-arching difference is that Gabbert's receivers and offense are WAY worse than what Mallett had to work with.

You say four throwaways. 1st Half? 2nd Half? When.

Yea, Vince Young really takes the form of Fischer... that's a bs argument... some PLAYERS ARE JUST DUMB FOOTBALL PLAYERS! Mallett is clearly one and I can't believe you guys want to take him after he just choked the game away.... he could have had an INT on the drive before too!

Of course you use the biggest WTF scenario possible... NOBODY understands whats going on there so that obviously an outlier... The fact of the matter is that you are trying to completely write off the fact that Mallet is a top 3-5 QB prospect in a draft that we desperately need a QB... And to make matters worse, you give props to Cam Newton who has had one year of success!!!! Are you kidding me? Yes he is a freakish talent, we need a QB!!! You mean to tell me that you would be ok with adjusting the offense so that Cam Newton would be successful but you wouldn't for any other QB prospect?

Thats what is bugging the heck outta me. There is a reason why you put players in offenses and defenses that play to their strengths. Not many qbs can Colts offense because they arent smart enough. Not many can run the Packers offense because they aren't accurate enough. The can't run the Jets cuz... syke... i could run the Jets offense w/ my torn hamstring... lol

This ^ Thats why id trade anything (within slight reason) for the 1st pick.. Im talking Wake, 2 firsts, and next years second. (which how could that not get it done) Look at it from their prespective, its not a bad deal.. + they could take our first this year, and draft someone like Gabbert (trade up if need be) who projects as a franchise QB while getting a sack monster and another 1st and 2nd round pick

Can't imagine ANY team trading out of 1 with Luck sitting there. Even if we offer the above, you probably will see someone give a better offer (higher 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, etc) even if Carolina is willing to move the pick.

yeah but gabbert also has 15 tds in an awful defensive conference...that stuff bothers me...but i'm still a fan

i'd do anything for luck also but we aren't sniffing that guy...unfortunately

Back
Top Bottom