Sugar Bowl thread let's get a look at Mallett | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sugar Bowl thread let's get a look at Mallett

the bottom line for me is i'm taking a chance on a qb with that top pick this year...i've taken all i can stand with the positions play of late...til we fix that we aren't doing squat

so yeah i'd take a chance on mallet just like i would newton or gabbert

One last thing. Remember your QB will take the form of the guy who is coaching him. Petrino is a force the ball down the field type of coach so Ryan Mallet does the same. Our boy Chad Henne, even though he has a laser rocket arm, took the form of his coaching. So it doesn't matter who have @ qb if we aren't running the right offense next year.

That being said... I'll be stoked to have a competitive, physically impressive, confident, qb that plays the game the way Ryan Mallet does. Of course he's gotta get coached up a bit but EVERY PLAYER to enter the league needs to get coached up!!!

Who would take Newton over Mallett? I may like Newton better than some but curious where people stand. Don't think Newton has the polished passing skills yet, but I definitely think he has the arm. Obviously he's an elite athlete and close to Vick like with his legs. Not sure what all the details are on his character so I'll see what shakes out there.

Mallet will be by far the best QB Phins have had outside the great one, if only we can pull this off.

Yea, Vince Young really takes the form of Fischer... that's a bs argument... some PLAYERS ARE JUST DUMB FOOTBALL PLAYERS! Mallett is clearly one and I can't believe you guys want to take him after he just choked the game away.... he could have had an INT on the drive before too!

I don't know ck. I mean you said it yourself it's not like we can be picky at the quarterback positon.

As a long-term solution he may be the only one. I think it's safe to say that Luck and Galbert will both be gone by the time we pick. It's possible to trade up to get Galbert, but without a 2nd round pick it's not going to be easy. I would say Arizona at 5 is very possible for him.

I would stay away from both Locker and Newton and I don't believe I am in the minority. With the all the character issues revolving around this guy, I was very surprised to see that 4th quarter speech. I just have a hard timr believing a guy who doesn't along with his teammates would do that (maybe he just doesn't know his teamates like him, idk). Either way it showed leadership skills to me.

You do it if you have NO choice. Yes we do need to come away with a QB and in that sense we can't be picky. But, you choose YOUR guy...the guy YOU have belief in, and then you do what it takes to get him. Now, I'm not saying the Dolphins can just do what might be impossible to do. Getting Andrew Luck is an impossibility. But you have to make the decision, is Blaine Gabbert your guy? Is Cam Newton? Is Brandon Weeden? Is Ryan Mallett? Pat Devlin? T.J. Yates? I'm not even going to mention the Washington QB's name.

You decide which of those guys you have conviction in. You don't just say oh well so and so is a 1st rounder and so and so is a 2nd rounder and we'll stick to our value board on this one, blah blah blah...if you have conviction on Blaine Gabbert but have conviction on NONE of the others...you go up and get him. Trade what it takes. This is the QB position, the most important position in football.

Who would take Newton over Mallett? I may like Newton better than some but curious where people stand. Don't think Newton has the polished passing skills yet, but I definitely think he has the arm. Obviously he's an elite athlete and close to Vick like with his legs. Not sure what all the details are on his character so I'll see what shakes out there.

On average Newton throws 15 times and runs 30 times, thereabouts. This maybe great because he picks and choses how and when he throws, thus wisely picking up yards to his strengths. Therefore, a system must be in place that allows him to this. And if there is a system, he can be successful.

Yea, Vince Young really takes the form of Fischer... that's a bs argument... some PLAYERS ARE JUST DUMB FOOTBALL PLAYERS! Mallett is clearly one and I can't believe you guys want to take him after he just choked the game away.... he could have had an INT on the drive before too!

He could have had an easy 30 yard TD as well earlier but for the drop. But let's focus on INT. You know who else throws INTs? Warner, Big Ben, Manning.

Newton, while a runner, is also very good at the touch pass, can hit guys for 8 yards and first down. Mallett tonight was HORRIBLE at stepping up the pocket and hitting those short passes.

You do it if you have NO choice. Yes we do need to come away with a QB and in that sense we can't be picky. But, you choose YOUR guy...the guy YOU have belief in, and then you do what it takes to get him. Now, I'm not saying the Dolphins can just do what might be impossible to do. Getting Andrew Luck is an impossibility. But you have to make the decision, is Blaine Gabbert your guy? Is Cam Newton? Is Brandon Weeden? Is Ryan Mallett? Pat Devlin? T.J. Yates? I'm not even going to mention the Washington QB's name.

You decide which of those guys you have conviction in. You don't just say oh well so and so is a 1st rounder and so and so is a 2nd rounder and we'll stick to our value board on this one, blah blah blah...if you have conviction on Blaine Gabbert but have conviction on NONE of the others...you go up and get him. Trade what it takes. This is the QB position, the most important position in football.
Oh I would certainly would have no problem trading up for Gabbert. I just don't see how we can do it. Without a 2nd round pick and considering the cba agreement might not allow players to be traded for picks... that puts us in a tough spot. If I had to pick trading up for Gabbert or staying for Mallet, I would do the former with little hesitation.

newtons accuracy in the pocket or on the run is damn impressive...just wait he'lll torch the oregon defense next monday

difference is mallet was playing against the #4 pass d in the country tonight...

i've told everyone without a doubt projecting nfl qbs is by far my weakest evaluation skill...so don't take my word for anything...lol...i'm also a notorious sucker for a big arm...now other position players thats something you can depend on...ha ha

i will put my neck out there on position players just not qbs...

He could have had an easy 30 yard TD as well earlier but for the drop. But let's focus on INT. You know who else throws INTs? Warner, Big Ben, Manning.

You are quite comical, even beyond the fact that Warner no longer throws INTs being retired.

The fact that every quarterback throws INTs does not excuse INTs, or make you stop looking at them to see if they're a temporary insanity or something more insidious.

You know that, right? Or maybe you don't, given that you claimed Ryan Mallett was actually throwing passes away in this game.

Brian Rolle in interview, asked about after the blocked punt, their mentality. Answer?

"Coach called an all-out blitz and I just know we gotta get after him. I know that if you rattle him, he'll throw interceptions, and on that play we had an all out blitz and we got after him and got the interception."

Expect the NFL to keep blitzing him and blitzing him and blitzing him until he proves he can beat it.

On average Newton throws 15 times and runs 30 times, thereabouts. This maybe great because he picks and choses how and when he throws, thus wisely picking up yards to his strengths. Therefore, a system must be in place that allows him to this. And if there is a system, he can be successful.

Roon, I'm starting to think you are Mallett's mother.. It's not just about the INT. It's the decision making... He doesn't know how to throw the ball away. He does not have much escapability. He will get blitzed and throw soooo many INT's.... Those QB's you mentioned have a knack for making the clutch play when the game is on the line. Mallett does the exact opposite!!! WERE YOU EVEN WATCHING THE END OF THE GAME TONIGHT?!! OSU gave the game away...and he said no, thanks, you take it!

Back
Top Bottom