Sugar Bowl thread let's get a look at Mallett | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sugar Bowl thread let's get a look at Mallett

This isn't some valuation call. This isn't "At #5 it might be a reach, but at #15 I'm ok with it."

This is the guy we're betting the farm on, whether we're taking him at #15 or we're trading a boat load of picks and players to get up to #1.

Either way, you're making a COMMITMENT. What I have trouble with is being comfortable with THIS guy being the guy I'm betting the farm on, THIS guy being the guy I'm making the commitment to. If options are nil...I guess so...maybe...but I have a tough time seeing options being nil.

I will tell you this much: that isn't the first time Mallett has tossed an INT with the game on the line. I think if someone could teach the kid to throw a ball away, he could be good. But he has been known to crack under pressure.

Reminds me of somebody this year.. Cant put my finger on his name though... The same guy that was terrible in bowl games himself when he was in college..

fair enough...i asked for your opinions and i got them...the talent is worth a top 20 pick imo...

luck newton gabbert mallet i hope one of them is a dolphin with pick #15

so the kid doesn't account for a dropping dlineman late under pressure and you want to roast him...lol...ok

maybe if i saw that a bunch of times this year

There's a bunch of stuff worse than that. And that wasn't the 1st or 3rd questionable ball he threw tonight that could've been picked.

Reminds me of somebody this year.. Cant put my finger on his name though... The same guy that was terrible in bowl games himself when he was in college..

Mallett is still better than Henne. Mallett will actually throw towards the end zone. ;)

ok...show if hands...would you take this kid mallet with pick #15 off of what you know right now...yes or no???

i'm a yes...all the way

Not in my first 3 QB choices, but I take him if he's there and most certainly over Locker. We need a QB and he does have some elite NFL skills. Would hope he can be taught to make a few more better decisions when nothing is there. It does scare me quite a bit when you have a guy with two steps of mobility and questionable decision making. Still worth it to a Phin team that hasn't seen an ounce of QB talent in 15 years.

I will tell you this much: that isn't the first time Mallett has tossed an INT with the game on the line. I think if someone could teach the kid to throw a ball away, he could be good. But he has been known to crack under pressure.

It's going to be a tendency because at key moments is when backfield pressure is going to be at it's most dangerous....blitzes, defensive linemen rising up in the moment, etc. He doesn't handle that pressure very well because he doesn't have feet or accuracy with just his arm. He needs his feet and stance to get any kind of accuracy. Plus, he's a questionable decision-maker and sees the field questionably when pressured. And contrary to what some may say, I can't believe he actually threw the ball away more than 1 or 2 times during the game...in like 47 throws or whatever...with like 4 or 5 sacks.

on ebay tomorrow...terrelle pryors sugar bowl ring...let the bidding begin

Mallett is still better than Henne. Mallett will actually throw towards the end zone. ;)

Henne throws interceptions misplacing balls most of the time.. Which kills me. I could understand a bad read, but misplacing balls still? And I still think Henne has overthrown his WRs downfield more than he has hit them.

This isn't some valuation call. This isn't "At #5 it might be a reach, but at #15 I'm ok with it."

This is the guy we're betting the farm on, whether we're taking him at #15 or we're trading a boat load of picks and players to get up to #1.

Either way, you're making a COMMITMENT. What I have trouble with is being comfortable with THIS guy being the guy I'm betting the farm on, THIS guy being the guy I'm making the commitment to. If options are nil...I guess so...maybe...but I have a tough time seeing options being nil.
I don't know ck. I mean you said it yourself it's not like we can be picky at the quarterback positon.

As a long-term solution he may be the only one. I think it's safe to say that Luck and Gabbert will both be gone by the time we pick. It's possible to trade up to get Gabbert, but without a 2nd round pick it's not going to be easy. I would say Arizona at 5 is very possible for him.

I would stay away from both Locker and Newton and I don't believe I am in the minority. With the all the character issues revolving around this guy, I was very surprised to see that 4th quarter speech. I just have a hard time believing a guy who doesn't get along with his teammates would do that (maybe he just doesn't know his teamates like him, idk). Either way it showed leadership skills to me.

Yup, that's Mallett, all right. I watch a lot of SEC football and that game was a perfect encapsulation of his career. Some brilliant moments, peppered with an inability to make some fairly routine chain-moving short throws, ending with a heart ripping choke. I see a lot of Kerry Collins in his game. A fair amount of JaMarcus Russell, also. I have him higher than I had JaMarcus, who I always hated as a prospect relative to his hype and had as a third or fourth rounder, but there's no question Blaine Gabbert rates much higher on my board.

Not unlike Cam Newton, I still think some ambitious coach is going to fall in love with the guy and take him high. The Jimmy Clausen (who fell to 48) comparisons are there but Mallett is leaps and bounds beyond Clausen physically IMO. Much more there to build on. Clausen is an immature prick but even if you round him out he's still got to wind up to throw anything with velocity and his accuracy and decision making are scattershot.

some of you guys are so desperate for a QB, it's like a guy who just got out of jail and is willing to sleep with the first girl he finds, no matter how ugly she is.... only this time, you are betting the future on Mallett. I wouldn't touch Mallett with a 10 foot pole.

Henne throws interceptions misplacing balls most of the time.. Which kills me. I could understand a bad read, but misplacing balls still? And I still think Henne has overthrown his WRs downfield more than he has hit them.

Anyone who thinks Mallet is Henne is crazy. Mallet is awesome. Henne was never ever awesome.

Back
Top Bottom