Sugar Bowl thread let's get a look at Mallett | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sugar Bowl thread let's get a look at Mallett

Those were poor throws. Not throwaways. On the long ball that went like six yards out of bounds he actually threw his hands up like he expected a pass interference call.

I agree it was hardly a terrible game and never claimed it was. But Mallett's shortcomings as a prospect are exactly the kind of thing that NFL defenses can and will exploit. Mercilessly.

Psst...You actually coach that for certain instances. If you have a QB that isn't very mobile and may not be able to get out of the tackle box... And the play is going to crap (ex screen) you throw the ball at the players' feet or in the general area. To joe smo at home it looks like he's retarded... but the people playing know that its on purpose

Those were poor throws. Not throwaways. On the long ball that went like six yards out of bounds he actually threw his hands up like he expected a pass interference call.

I agree it was hardly a terrible game and never claimed it was. But Mallett's shortcomings as a prospect are exactly the kind of thing that NFL defenses can and will exploit. Mercilessly.

I agree with you. As I said, I believe he actually showed IMPROVEMENT in this game, over a lot of what I saw this year from him. The touch he added on those fades and back shoulder throws...pretty nifty, and not very common for what he was doing before the month's worth of layoff in bowl preparation.

But, in most of the areas where he was deficient, he was still very deficient in this game. That's all I'm saying. That pick at the end, under pressure, under duress, key moment, with the all out blitz on...we've seen that before and we've seen symptoms of the same disease pop up before in other ways, and it still popped up tonight.

It's about making plays when it matters most, you know that..

Yes. I agree 100%. It always matters, all game long. Gotta make plays, that's the bottom line, and it's not easy to come back from 28-7 cause the whole world knows that you are throwing. They came up short. (Could have done it with a little help on that throw in endzone that was dropped.)

Mallett gives you that chance and hope that you can come back from any deficit. You always have hope with this guy no matter how bad you're trailing..

probably doesn't matter anyways...sounds like sparanos coming back...which means we're screwed no matter what qb we take...lol

sad

Gator, let's look at Peyton Manning.. he had Mora sr.... was he playing like Mora? No, he was playing like Manning... He had dungy, who NEVER had enough offense to win in Tampa.... was he playing like dungy? Some great players are just great...

I'm not denying that Mallett is a top 3-5 qb prospect this year.He just isn't my guy.. His turnover potential is a huge red flag for me, I would pass.... Yes you need a QB, but let's not get crazy... I mean, It's like saying, we need a QB so we must take Brady Quinn over Patrick Willis.

One year, two years whatever.. If you dominate play and win the heisman in your first year starting, that's a good sign, no? It means you are so far better than your competition. Newton is a freakish talent with an excellent ARM. Strength and Accuracy.... Auburn would be maybe 7-5 or 8-4 without Newton... I would totally adjust the offense to suit the QB that comes in... I just don't want it to be Mallett. I don't claim to know everything about every QB prospect, but I know a dud when I see one and Mallett has a lot of Jamarcus Russell in him, in my opinion.

Psst...You actually coach that for certain instances. If you have a QB that isn't very mobile and may not be able to get out of the tackle box... And the play is going to crap (ex screen) you throw the ball at the players' feet or in the general area. To joe smo at home it looks like he's retarded... but the people playing know that its on purpose

Pssst. I'm aware of that. I know it when I see it. And Mallett didn't do it.

It wasn't an all out blitz. The person may have meant that they had that mentality to finish the game, but that last play definitely wasn't. It was a zone blitz. The purpose of a zone blitz is to have a blitzer coming from each throwing lane/gap and have someone dropping back in an area that the defense forces the hot read to. Its something that coaches use after watching film on ANY team and gameplan for. Every offensive play have your first second and third options (except for the fins) and hot routes depending on the look.

The lineman wasn't standing. Came off the ball in perfect pass rush (first two steps forward) dropped back into coverage... and drifted as the play forces the qb to a certain direction. If you look at the replay the pass was dead on to an open quick route reciever but the dlineman made a hell of a play and its was a FANTASTIC call.

Just dropping knowledge... I know that Mallett throws picks and what kind of player he is... but any qb could have made that same mistake in that situation.

the ball was in the ground too much on some short throws but i think thats a footwork issue more than anything...relying on his arm too much...can't say i really blame him sometimes for relying on that arm...i've seen him throw the ball 40 yards before on a rope with pressure in his face where he can't even step into the ball and the pass is on point...

to me you can coach that up...

It wasn't an all out blitz. The person may have meant that they had that mentality to finish the game, but that last play definitely wasn't. It was a zone blitz. The purpose of a zone blitz is to have a blitzer coming from each throwing lane/gap and have someone dropping back in an area that the defense forces the hot read to. Its something that coaches use after watching film on ANY team and gameplan for. Every offensive play have your first second and third options (except for the fins) and hot routes depending on the look.

The lineman wasn't standing. Came off the ball in perfect pass rush (first two steps forward) dropped back into coverage... and drifted as the play forces the qb to a certain direction. If you look at the replay the pass was dead on to an open quick route reciever but the dlineman made a hell of a play and its was a FANTASTIC call.

Just dropping knowledge... I know that Mallett throws picks and what kind of player he is... but any qb could have made that same mistake in that situation.

exactly...thats why i'm not gonna kill this kid for that pressure throw...they jumped his hot route...film study like you said...could happen to anyone

Gator, let's look at Peyton Manning.. he had Mora sr.... was he playing like Mora? No, he was playing like Manning... He had dungy, who NEVER had enough offense to win in Tampa.... was he playing like dungy? Some great players are just great...

I'm not denying that Mallett is a top 3-5 qb prospect this year.He just isn't my guy.. His turnover potential is a huge red flag for me, I would pass.... Yes you need a QB, but let's not get crazy... I mean, It's like saying, we need a QB so we must take Brady Quinn over Patrick Willis.

One year, two years whatever.. If you dominate play and win the heisman in your first year starting, that's a good sign, no? It means you are so far better than your competition. Newton is a freakish talent with an excellent ARM. Strength and Accuracy.... Auburn would be maybe 7-5 or 8-4 without Newton... I would totally adjust the offense to suit the QB that comes in... I just don't want it to be Mallett. I don't claim to know everything about every QB prospect, but I know a dud when I see one and Mallett has a lot of Jamarcus Russell in him, in my opinion.

I meant offensive coordinator sorry. Peyton's OC would let him go to the line with multiple plays called and make adjustments accordingly. So my example was more Henne to that old fart that sits in the booth, not captain fist pump.

Without question Cam Newton is a freakish talent, but so was Tim Tebow and Vince Young. Sure he had a hell of a season this year. And playing in the "minor leagues" he was the truth, but I just don't see it for the pros.

You have already stated the pros for Cam... Give me some of the Cons. You make him sound like HE should be the top pick in the draft no?

there's always that potential...i'm not gonna lie about that...but i think i hear that jeff george name all the time when it comes to guys with big arms as pros...

Dan marino, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner threw picks like that and relied on their arm too. What a shame they are going to HOF.

and if i was you guys and if ireland does in fact keep his job i wouldn't write off mallet with our top pick...we know they like qbs with a high # of collegiate starts and you know they like that sec competition every year that mallet has faced...

of course i wouldn't write off jake locker either considering he's a 4 year starter...unfortunately lol

ireland knows he needs to get a qb asap or he's gone so get ready...somethings coming...could be later in the draft but if these names are on the board when we get on the clock i could absolutely see it

Back
Top Bottom