Surprise Cuts of 2014 Dolphins Training Camp | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surprise Cuts of 2014 Dolphins Training Camp

Can't understand the Knowshon hate... I'd say Miller has to have a perfect camp and Moreno's knee needs to be much worse than everyone is letting on for there to even be a remote possiblity of Moreno getting the axe. If healthy Knowshon is our starter.

IMO NOWAY Dose Moreno get the axe after signing a 1 year 3Mil deal and havent even taken the field ? Yeah it would be a heck of a surprise , and would Make the Coaching Staff look Worse than keeping him and giving him a chance ..

Jalil Brown may earn a spot and lose out to a younger player with more upside. If Matthews, Binns and Hazel show well it may make trying to get a late pick for Gibson an option. The Moreno issue has been waay overblown. A scope is a very minor surgery and the Miami heat will whip him into football shape quickly. Tough to see Sims go. Its him or Egnew, that should be a good battle.

I could see Sims, but that's it from this list. Wheeler's salary hit would be significant. I could definitely see Miami picking up a cast off tight end from another team's roster. Not an impressive group of tight ends in camp with the exception of Clay.

It would be a mistake to cut R.Matthews. The kid just needs more opportunities and in my mind has something to offer a team.

Yeah I agree on Moreno. Seems like the classic case of Finheaven posters putting too much stock in OTA's. Moreno is the most productive back on our roster and can block and catch. A knee scope should be no big deal either. If he tanks in camp/ preseason maybe we can be a little worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only in pass protect. He is nowhere near Miller when it comes to play making running the ball. The shock would be if Moreno starts over Miller to start the season....but I don't see that happening honestly.

and yes the other poster was incorrect about Moreno being cut but Denver DID let him go without much of a fight after his most productive season as a pro. That is not a small fact. We will see how Lazor's offense uses who we have. We shall see.....

People continue to put Philip Wheeler in the stocks but it's Dannell Ellerbe who is being squeezed. He's the one that has been relegated to being a part-time player now that Koa Misi has been elevated to full-time. And Jelani Jenkins could push Ellerbe right out of that part-time role too.

Ellerbe is the 3rd highest paid player on the defense. He has a higher salary and cap figure than Cameron Wake. And he's now a half-time player, being pushed by a second year player for even that role.

Reality is neither player will be cut because of their guaranteed salaries. But if Miami had their druthers I'd be willing to bet Ellerbe is the guy out the door first.

Cutting Moreno would be a mistake IMO. Miller and D.Thomas may have a better year this year with a slightly improved O-Line (hopefully) but Hickey and Philbin would be dumb to simply trust them again full-force; they have to get the offense churning this year and give Lazor more weapons and functional tools to work with or Ross and fans will not be pleased. I'm betting Moreno will have multiple roles on this team, be it blocking, catching the ball, or simply adding to the RB workload.

Will Davis and Dion Sims could both be cut. Neither would shock me. Lets see how Davis gets on with another offseason and how Sims fits the new scheme. I wouldn't be confident though.
I attended the first Training Camp session this morning. I thought that Will Davis moved very well. Don't be too quick to cut him (he's a boom or bust prospect and there is big upside). Will is very athletic and he wears iridescent lime on his shoes - you can't miss #29. He also looks a little bigger and stronger. I got to briefly meet a few of the players in person in the air conditioned bubble - Binns, Thigpen, Arthur Lynch (his hands are huge) and Brandon Gibson a little later (a real gentleman - very classy guy). Tannehill and many other Offensive players put in over 45 minutes after the session just signing autographs and it was very hot. Make no error Ryan went above and beyond his duty. He appeared very comfortable in his obvious popularity.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing with Davis is he can make the splash play once in 20 snaps but for the other 19 he doesn't keep tight enough coverage on his man and routinely gives up yardage. He starts with too big a cushion and even then can't stay in the receivers hip. It's just a gut feeling of mine, but I wonder if he lacks the aggressive edge that good corners need, that "get the **** out of my yard" attitude.

Maybe he's been working on it and guys like Finnegan and Delmas are helping him put an edge to his game.

People continue to put Philip Wheeler in the stocks but it's Dannell Ellerbe who is being squeezed. He's the one that has been relegated to being a part-time player now that Koa Misi has been elevated to full-time. And Jelani Jenkins could push Ellerbe right out of that part-time role too.

Ellerbe is the 3rd highest paid player on the defense. He has a higher salary and cap figure than Cameron Wake. And he's now a half-time player, being pushed by a second year player for even that role.

Reality is neither player will be cut because of their guaranteed salaries. But if Miami had their druthers I'd be willing to bet Ellerbe is the guy out the door first.

Thank you , people bash wheeler day in and day out but somehow give ellerbee a pass for his horrible play. ellerbee makes more money and is the guy that got moved out of his position much like Martin last year

Back
Top Bottom