Surtain upset about ronnie getting #23 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surtain upset about ronnie getting #23

Surtain was great and he will be missed. Our corners were put on an island by themselves and had alot of pressure all the time. It would have been great to see how sam and Pat would have worked with more of a system Defense and LESS pressure; it would have been awesome.

Don't forget Will Poole - I think he has real potential.

Predaphin said:
He may have been the best cornerback in Miami, ever.

I would argue that Ricky was the best all around back that we've had.

It still takes a hell of a lot more than that to retire a number.

jaxdolfan said:
I would argue that Ricky was the best all around back that we've had.

It still takes a hell of a lot more than that to retire a number.

I may be wrong but I think there are only three retired numbers.

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Retired Jersey #12[/size][/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Bob Griese - [/size][/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Retired Jersey #13[/size][/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Dan Marino - [/size][/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Retired Jersey #39[/size][/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Larry Csonka - [/size][/font]

dolfanrodney said:
Although Pat was probably one of the best CB's we ever had he is not worthy of having his #23 retired. We can't just retire a jersey everytime a guy has a decent career for us, we will be out of jersey numbers in 20 years. Of the current players I see only Zach and or Jason having their numbers retired when all is said and done.

Even they have a ways to go. I'm not at all confident either of them will see their numbers retired. The ring is far more likely.

Jimmy James said:
Even they have a ways to go. I'm not at all confident either of them will see their numbers retired. The ring is far more likely.

That is a very short list as well.The Dolphins have been very conservative in giving out honors.

CrunchTime said:
That is a very short list as well.The Dolphins have been very conservative in giving out honors.

I agree. It's possible that one or both of them doesn't make that either. I think you can make a good argument that the ring can and should be opened up a bit to allow for players of their calibur. You can't make that argument for retiring numbers.

I would have like to see us trade Madison instead of Surtain but I guess Madison didn't have the market value Surtain did.

305 LoCaL VoCaL said:
I was watching sports extra early this evening on channel 6 here in miami and they had an interview with Pat Surtain they asked questins like how he felt being a chief and what was his reaction when he found out he was traded. he said one thing that hurt him the most was when he saw R. brown holding up his number, thats when it hit em he was no longer a dolphin, but he also went on to say that he respects saban and understands the situation at hand and y he had to be delt. After watching the clips of his plays and listening to the narration i almost shed a tear. IMO I feel that Surtain was one of the greatest corners not only in a fin uniform but in the league, and maby his number should be up there with Marinos and Csonkas, He will forever be remebered down here, it will be hard to see him pick of one of our passes next year i wouldnt know how to react. :cry:

Surtain's not a Dolphin anymore. F**k him.

Chuckenice said:
I would have like to see us trade Madison instead of Surtain but I guess Madison didn't have the market value Surtain did.
No. It was a cap move. Surtain freed up 5 million in cap spaces whereas Madision would take up another million in cap space. Plus Madison was better than Surtain last year.

Pericles349 said:
That's not the point, the point is what did Surtain do that even resembles what Larry and Marino did?

What exactly did Marino do? Larry Czonka...yes, he has not one, but two SB rings...that is achievement...stats mean nothing unless y9ou get the ring. Sorry brotha, can agree with you here. Marino was good, but not great!

I hope he doesn't have a personal grudge against Saban now

Chiribean said:
What exactly did Marino do? Larry Czonka...yes, he has not one, but two SB rings...that is achievement...stats mean nothing unless y9ou get the ring. Sorry brotha, can agree with you here. Marino was good, but not great!

So by your theory the only thing keeping Marino from being great is a SB ring? So Dilfer is a better QB than Marino? Youve got to be kidding me. Marino is the only reason Miami stayed on the boards for a decade. If it wasnt for Marino Miami would have been the Buccaneers of the 80's. Marino was great and will always be in the hearts of REAL fin fans.

Chiribean said:

:shakeno: It takes more than one person to win a Superbowl no matter how great the QB. so you can't ever discount what Marino did as just good because he didn't win the superbowl. that's just a silly arguement. Is Elway great? if it wasn't for terrell davis he probably would've never gotten his SB rings, without Rice/Craig/Clark would montana have gotten his?

Back
Top Bottom