Suspicion on Arrington | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Suspicion on Arrington

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Several reports expected Arrington to sign with one of the Florida teams (Jax or Mia) this weekend. But, it's pretty clear that teams are shying away from tying up millions with a player that has suspect knees.

Arrington really needs to prove he can be productive and healthy for an entire season if he wants big-time money - even though he still has tremendous potential. He could be a very solid OLB for us as both a pass rusher and run stopper.

But, if we lose him b/c another team (Bengals or Jags) overpay for his services, so be it. Even though OLB is a need - we cannot wreak havoc with our cap to get this guy in and then he flops due to injury. There's little doubt imo that he would excel in Miami's system better than the others - even though he has played for Sherm Lewis before. He certainly hasn't played in a Miami/NE type system in the NFL.

Free agency is all about risk/reward calculations and Saban really seems to be doing a very good job of not overpaying for a guy. Now, if we were $20 Million under the cap like some teams, he could offer more $$ and the risk would be dissipated somewhat. But, given our cap situation, it's wise not to overpay for players that have such risks attached. That said, if he can be fit in the cap - then the upside is worth the risk, imo.

I dont know the point here.

Saban said he wasnt planning on selling out to win now. It's logical, based on that, and considering Arrington hasnt accepted yet, that Saban is not offering him a contract that is going to kill our cap.

I think the Dolphins have to pursue Arrington. I mean he's a pro bowler and could really make our defense the best in the league. He's relatively young and would be a great replacement for Seau.
Can you imagine.........

:dolphins: #52__#54__#56:dolphins:

Nobody is going to pay him the money he wants. Everybody recognizes that Peterson was massively overcompensated and nobody else is looking to be that stupid with LaVar. If he really wants to play in Miami, he should recognize that he isn't going to get the contract he's asking for and just accept what Saban is offering.

I think its obvious that Saban isnt gonna pay LaVar the money he wants. Otherwise we would have signed him weeks ago.

espn rumor central said that they are angling him. they really want him but is not going to put the money he wants out their. it would be great to have him!

WHEN WILL HE MAKE HIM DECISION?

John Clayton on ESPNEWS said the Dolphins are trying to convince Arrington to take less $$$ because our defense system will be perfect for him.

I would say to Lavar, sign now and you can move in to your new house, your kids can make all new friends and you can get ready to become a super bowl champion.:eek:

icephinfan said:
John Clayton on ESPNEWS said the Dolphins are trying to convince Arrington to take less $$$ because our defense system will be perfect for him.

I would say to Lavar, sign now and you can move in to your new house, your kids can make all new friends and you can get ready to become a super bowl champion.:eek:

AMEN!!!!

if he signs a cheap 1 or 2 year deal and proves he can play well despite the injury, he'll get a huge contract afterwards. that's hte only way i see him getting the big money.

I don't understand how our defense is perfrect for LaVar. My understanding is that Saban's D is very complex and requires strict adherence to positional rules. Whereas Arrington has struggled with structured defenses while his success comes from his improvisational abilities.

Do I have this wrong?

cant we just sign chad brown for the league minumum and call it a day??

Bill C said:
I don't understand how our defense is perfrect for LaVar. My understanding is that Saban's D is very complex and requires strict adherence to positional rules. Whereas Arrington has struggled with structured defenses while his success comes from his improvisational abilities.

Do I have this wrong?

I think the point is that Arrington has the size, speed, and talent that fits well into a 3-4 scheme. With the master of the 3-4, Dom Capers, and particularly Arrington's old LB coach, George Edwards, mentoring him Arrington should do very well with the Dolphins. Remember, Edwards clearly got the more out of Arrington than anyone. In fact, he's never been the same since Edwards left the Redskins.

The Dolphins also have the type of coach and players that can be very helpful to a wild seed like Arrington. There will be plenty of mentors, Zach, Jason, Kevin Carter, Traylor (if he stays with the team) that are great role models and will take Arrington under their collective wings.

cchambers84td said:

id rather call it a day without signing chad brown. if we are going to sign another aging injury prone vet id rather see seau back.

cchambers84td said:

Are you serious? He's half the LB Arrington is with injuries as well. That would be an awful move IMO. I think you look to draft and work out Hodge at the position.

Back
Top Bottom