Suspicion on Arrington | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Suspicion on Arrington

Da 'Fins said:
Several reports expected Arrington to sign with one of the Florida teams (Jax or Mia) this weekend. But, it's pretty clear that teams are shying away from tying up millions with a player that has suspect knees.

Arrington really needs to prove he can be productive and healthy for an entire season if he wants big-time money - even though he still has tremendous potential. He could be a very solid OLB for us as both a pass rusher and run stopper.

But, if we lose him b/c another team (Bengals or Jags) overpay for his services, so be it. Even though OLB is a need - we cannot wreak havoc with our cap to get this guy in and then he flops due to injury. There's little doubt imo that he would excel in Miami's system better than the others - even though he has played for Sherm Lewis before. He certainly hasn't played in a Miami/NE type system in the NFL.

Free agency is all about risk/reward calculations and Saban really seems to be doing a very good job of not overpaying for a guy. Now, if we were $20 Million under the cap like some teams, he could offer more $$ and the risk would be dissipated somewhat. But, given our cap situation, it's wise not to overpay for players that have such risks attached. That said, if he can be fit in the cap - then the upside is worth the risk, imo.

Not trying to be a smart alec, but what exactly is the " suspicion" you are referring to ?? That you suspect that Saban has set himself a price for LA and won't go over it ?? Well that seems to be pretty obvious since he hasn't signed yet. Saban will be the judge of what the reward/risk value is of LA or any other guy he picks up...I thought it was too much to give up for DC (2nd round pick). Not because he is not worth a 2nd round pick but is he worth that much from a value standpoint for our team. Granted we needed a QB so the 'reward/risk' factor for acquiring DC was what Saban paid for him....
He'll decide what the reward/risk factor is for LA as well. What you and I think that is, is of no consequence...only what Saban thinks. So, if he pays the figures that are being published, he'll have thought that it was worth the risk...

miami234ever said:
Im guessing Tuesday or Wednesday because he is in Cincy on Thursday. Unless he's visiting again after he visits Cincy then I don't know.

No more traveling, stay in Miami and help us win a SUPER BOWL!!!!!

miami234ever said:
Im guessing Tuesday or Wednesday because he is in Cincy on Thursday. Unless he's visiting again after he visits Cincy then I don't know.

I think hell come back to miami after he visits nati.....he will want to compare all offers to miami..if indeed they r his favorite

Finsfalife said:
I think hell come back to miami after he visits nati.....he will want to compare all offers to miami..if indeed they r his favorite

I hope we are his favorite, and I hope he will accept Saban's offer!:dolphins:

With Thomas' cap hit surely to be lowered, if not this season then next, it seems that we would be able to take on a Peterson type contract (hopefully not quite as outrageous).

Has anyone heard the latest on Ahmad Brooks from Virginia, last I heard he was kicked out of school and was declaring for the supplemental draft. If this is the case a 3rd round pick for a possible heir to the 'throne Zach built', sounds pretty sweet to me. Of course this would mean leaving Crowder at the Will...

RB23 said:
With Thomas' cap hit surely to be lowered, if not this season then next, it seems that we would be able to take on a Peterson type contract (hopefully not quite as outrageous).

Has anyone heard the latest on Ahmad Brooks from Virginia, last I heard he was kicked out of school and was declaring for the supplemental draft. If this is the case a 3rd round pick for a possible heir to the 'throne Zach built', sounds pretty sweet to me. Of course this would mean leaving Crowder at the Will...

Good point on Thomas restructure of contract "if they do it", haven't heard any news on Brooks.

tmny99 said:
Are you serious? He's half the LB Arrington is with injuries as well. That would be an awful move IMO. I think you look to draft and work out Hodge at the position.

Yes, 6 yrs ago, Chad would have been a deal, before he went out west. The reason he's available now is he's lost his speed. Even Jr. Seau got old after 16 yrs. You can only play so long unless you are Larry Allen. He has his limits too.

I disagree. I believe that this would be a great addition, if he makes up his mind soon enough. I know he has'nt been the healthiest of players at his position, but he's one of the very best injured or not.

RICKY AND RONNIE FOR 2006

Da 'Fins said:
Several reports expected Arrington to sign with one of the Florida teams (Jax or Mia) this weekend. But, it's pretty clear that teams are shying away from tying up millions with a player that has suspect knees.

Arrington really needs to prove he can be productive and healthy for an entire season if he wants big-time money - even though he still has tremendous potential. He could be a very solid OLB for us as both a pass rusher and run stopper.
But, if we lose him b/c another team (Bengals or Jags) overpay for his services, so be it. Even though OLB is a need - we cannot wreak havoc with our cap to get this guy in and then he flops due to injury. There's little doubt imo that he would excel in Miami's system better than the others - even though he has played for Sherm Lewis before. He certainly hasn't played in a Miami/NE type system in the NFL.

Free agency is all about risk/reward calculations and Saban really seems to be doing a very good job of not overpaying for a guy. Now, if we were $20 Million under the cap like some teams, he could offer more $$ and the risk would be dissipated somewhat. But, given our cap situation, it's wise not to overpay for players that have such risks attached. That said, if he can be fit in the cap - then the upside is worth the risk, imo.

Im not so sure that Saban would overpay for anyone even if we did have boatloads of dough to spend. If he doesnt want Culpepper to have a press conference because he doesnt want to show favoritism to the rest of the team, why should he overpay for Arrington when Zach still kicks more ***?
Notice that there are alot of teams out there with lots of money yet are not doing anything in FA. He wouldnt overpay for Brees. I cant see him budging a whole lot than what was already offered. He may go more on gaurranteed money but I think it would be fair in comparison to whats on the team already and what they have accomplished.

cchambers84td said:
cant we just sign chad brown for the league minumum and call it a day??
Good idea, Lavar is overrated although he is a great athlete, he is not a great, instintive player.

NYGiantBlue said:
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but Arrington will be signing with the Giants.
Carl Banks was just on Sirius Radio and stated that he had talked to Ernie Accorsi and that Accorsi said that they were going to pass on Arrington because of the money and injury questions. Could just be a smokescreen but pretty wierd for that to come out.

#1DoLfAnOKesh said:
I think the Dolphins have to pursue Arrington. I mean he's a pro bowler and could really make our defense the best in the league. He's relatively young and would be a great replacement for Seau.
Can you imagine.........

:dolphins: #52__#54__#56:dolphins:

I think we should stay away from Arrington. There is no question he has talent, but he has NEVER played within any scheme that was played in Washington. He ALWAYS goes out there and freelances. Sometimes giving up big plays.

That said, he is talented and maybe Saban can keep him in line...so if we got him, it would have to be on the cheap and a short contract.

Unfortunately, he wants a big, long-term contract that I dont think anyone will give him. He is the one leaking those articles saying that the 2 Florida teams are dueling for him.

No one wants to pay big bucks for such a question mark.

Back
Top Bottom