Switch Montana and Dan's teams | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Switch Montana and Dan's teams

Losman7 said:
If you are talking about stats and gaudy numbers yo're right. But Kelly ran an entire offense on his own(Hull helped) got to 4 Super Bowls, And beat Marino on a regular basis.

Honestly I don't care if you compare Kelly to Marino. When the dust settled, all Marinos numbers couldn't beat Kelly.

It wasn't Marino VS Kelly. It was Miami VS Buffalo. Kelly was nowhere near the vicinity of being close to the QB Dan was. Kelly doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as MArino.
And that's my opinion (and a fact) and I'm sticking to it.

PerfectSZN said:
You are just blinded by your loyalty to the Bills on that one. Honestly, you are starting a team and must pick either Marino or Kelly (in their prime). You are telling me honestly that you take Kelly???

If he says Kelly, he is definetly blinded by loyalty.

I'll even be honest. The only QB I have ever seen that I would have to even think 2x about picking instead of Marino would be Elway. And I honestly think I still take Marino all loyalty aside.

PerfectSZN said:
You are just blinded by your loyalty to the Bills on that one. Honestly, you are starting a team and must pick either Marino or Kelly (in their prime). You are telling me honestly that you take Kelly???

Knowing what I know I'd take Marino. The guy was a great QB.

But I wouldn't mind Kelly either, the guy was a top QB in the league for year, a winner (except the big one, just like dan) and now is a HOFer.

SCall13 said:
It wasn't Marino VS Kelly. It was Miami VS Buffalo. Kelly was nowhere near the vicinity of being close to the QB Dan was. Kelly doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as MArino.
And that's my opinion (and a fact) and I'm sticking to it.

This is just stupid. Gee, I'm sorry that the Marino led Phins couldn't beat the Kelly lead Bills, but it isn't like you guys sucked. You were in it every year, and how many times did we knock you out?

Do you remeber when Kelly dove over the goal line as time expired for the victory over you guys. Thats the greatest play he ever made.

If Marino was so much better that they can't even be mentioned in the sanme sentance then he should have been able to win more games against Juim. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Montana was smart and benefitted from Walsh's system (and throwing to a guy named Rice) as many QB's after him did. He was the perfect player for that system and may not have won with another system. Marino played in a great system too, but never with a complete offense (a running back). All great QB's can win the superbowl if in the right situation. Some do not, because of their situation. However, nobody should put down a QB who clearly has demonstrated greatness because his team never won a SB. To be great is one thing, but who can ask a QB to be all 11 players (or actually all 22 players) on the field? By the way, Trent Dilfer won a superbowl (Ravens ..remember?). Shall we say that he deserves mention among the greats? If Elway had retired after 13 years with no ring would anyone say Dilfer was better than Elway and Marino? C'mon!

So if you want to compare 2 great QB's like Marino and Montana, go ahead, but the superbowl has nothing to do with who was a better player. The only way you can compare with that is to have both guys play on the same team and see how far they go, which is impossible. There are too many variables to conclude about 2 individuals based on how their 40 plus man rosters did.

That said I would take Marino as my best all time, but could not really argue with somebody naming Montana, Otto Graham, Sid Luckman, Elway, etc (but not Kelly..jeese), as long as their reasons were not that they won more superbowls than Marino. If championships are your mark, then clearly Otto was the best - oh by the way, he had a guy named Jim Brown running for him...

Losman7 said:
This is just stupid. Gee, I'm sorry that the Marino led Phins couldn't beat the Kelly lead Bills, but it isn't like you guys sucked. You were in it every year, and how many times did we knock you out?

Do you remeber when Kelly dove over the goal line as time expired for the victory over you guys. Thats the greatest play he ever made.

If Marino was so much better that they can't even be mentioned in the sanme sentance then he should have been able to win more games against Juim. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I love it when I hit a nerve. =) Thurman Thomas was by far the biggest reason the Bills beat Miami. Our offense was always pretty good (because of Dan) but our defense couldn't stop the run to save their lives. Granted Kelly did have some good games against us, but it was definetly Thomas that broke our defenses backs every time.

PerfectSZN said:
Was he really better at reading defenses or did the defense just simply have to worry more about the running game (which puts them more out of position, making it easier to hit the WO)?

I don't think Dan was that good at reading defenses. How many times did you hear the announcers say only Marino could have completed that pass. The truth was that Marino threw the pass even if the the guy was covered. I asked him once why he didn't give a better playaction fake. He said he felt he needed the extra time to read the D. Did he throw it b/c he just had that much confidence or b/c he read it wrong? Does it matter? Either way he he threw the ball to covered guys. Most often he got away with it, but sometimes he didn't. Montana made fewer mistakes. The timing of those mistakes would have determined how much success he had.

SCall13 said:
I love it when I hit a nerve. =) Thurman Thomas was by far the biggest reason the Bills beat Miami. Our offense was always pretty good (because of Dan) but our defense couldn't stop the run to save their lives. Granted Kelly did have some good games against us, but it was definetly Thomas that broke our defenses backs every time.

Yep.

rafael said:
I don't think Dan was that good at reading defenses. How many times did you hear the announcers say only Marino could have completed that pass. The truth was that Marino threw the pass even if the the guy was covered. I asked him once why he didn't give a better playaction fake. He said he felt he needed the extra time to read the D. Did he throw it b/c he just had that much confidence or b/c he read it wrong? Does it matter? Either way he he threw the ball to covered guys. Most often he got away with it, but sometimes he didn't. Montana made fewer mistakes. The timing of those mistakes would have determined how much success he had.

Marino was great at reading the defense. If he couldn't read a defense he wouldn't have had the numbers he did, he would have thrown way more INTs, and his uncanny ability to bring our team back froma deficit would not have been there. His ability to read a defense is what made him so great at the 2 minute drill. I don't know how you are coming to your conclusion that Marino couldn't read a defense well, but it makes no sense.

seriously guys, when you have more talent in your arm alone than the rest of the qb's have in there entire bodies, you dont have to read defenses exceptionally well. dan could throw the perfect pass. anytime and any place he wanted to, to any reciever on the field

Losman7 said:

I remember Bills vs. Dolphins, not Jim againt Dan. I guess my TV station never carried the one on one games. That would be a bit boring. Tell me, when the QB throws to himself, how does he...? Oh nevermind. You are right, Jim Kelly just went out there and did it all and Dan MArino was unable to stop him. Just 2 guys running around the field by themselves. Great imagination there lose man.:rofl3: :lol: :lol: :shakeno:

I asked him once why he didn't give a better playaction fake. He said he felt he needed the extra time to read the D.

Might as well not even fake it. Nobody thought, "Wow, if he hands it off to that RB, he might just break it for more than 3 yards"

SCall13 said:

Whatever, you haven't hit a nerve. It really dosen't matter at this point. Fine Marino was the best QB ever, but he couldn't beat the Bills

I'm OK with that.

Back
Top Bottom