Switch Montana and Dan's teams | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Switch Montana and Dan's teams

moot point - this really doesnt matter and its purely "what if..." so everyones going to have their baised own opinions

There is only one reason Dan is ringless and his name is Tom Olivadotti! I almost threw up and when I typed his name in, imagine what Dan might think of him.

Losman7 said:
Even if DAn had a RB would he have ever handed the ball off?

either way, the d would still have to respect the running game somewhat.

PerfectSZN said:
But do you ever think Marino would ever come out and say, MY RB STinks!

When he said it, it struck me as an honest answer. You can believe whatever you want.

Ironically, Olivadotti's best season statistically was also his last. Jimmy Johnson fired Olivadotti after a humiliating 37 - 22 defeat to the Buffalo Bills in the playoffs. More significant than the big points total, was the AFC record 341 yards that Buffalo gained on the ground. What made this a particularly unacceptable beating was the fact that Miami had lost to this same Bills team only 2 weeks earlier when the Bills totaled over 200 yards rushing. Olivadotti's game plan was not adjusted in the slightest.

He was really bad, this came from a link.
http://www.thedolphinsmakemecry.com/rod-olivadotti.html

Losman7 said:
This is just stupid. Gee, I'm sorry that the Marino led Phins couldn't beat the Kelly lead Bills, but it isn't like you guys sucked. You were in it every year, and how many times did we knock you out?

Do you remeber when Kelly dove over the goal line as time expired for the victory over you guys. Thats the greatest play he ever made.

If Marino was so much better that they can't even be mentioned in the sanme sentance then he should have been able to win more games against Juim. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

but its not just marino vs. kelly out there on the field! it was the dolphins vs. the bills. kelly's team (the bills) beat marino's team (the dolphins). if a game was determined soley based on who the qb was, then marino would have several rings -- and i highly doubt qbs such as brad johnson, trent dilfer, doug williams, etc. would have rings. it takes a great TEAM to win games. marino can't play defense, and rb, in addition to qb!

SCall13 said:
Marino was great at reading the defense. If he couldn't read a defense he wouldn't have had the numbers he did, he would have thrown way more INTs, and his uncanny ability to bring our team back froma deficit would not have been there. His ability to read a defense is what made him so great at the 2 minute drill. I don't know how you are coming to your conclusion that Marino couldn't read a defense well, but it makes no sense.

i completely agree. of all of the great tools that marino had, i honestly think his greatest was his ability to read a defense. up until jimmy johnson came to town, marino would call every play from the line. marino's ability to audible was his greatest strength -- until jj took that away (which is why he declined, imo).

Losman7 said:
You guys brought up Kelly.

I would never say that Jim was the best all-time. But I will say that he lead the Bills alot better than Marino lead the fins.

you're crazy man. so because miami's defense sucked, marino failed to lead them?! marino could not control the defense!

i don't understand the comment that it would be a close call between dan and john elway.

elway is not even close talk about a guy that had the team to win the super bowl and the system. if you look at his stats he only went over 4000 only once in his career. and never had over i think like 27 td passes in a career.

He is a good qb even though i don't like the guy but i would put him with dan or montana or even united

Losman7 said:
Yeah, Dan was a great QB, he woulda done what it took to win.

I'm not one of those people that think that SB rings is the way to define greatness in a QB. I don't think Brady is a franchise QB. I think he is a product of the system. I would compare him most favorably to Phil Simms.

It takes a lot of things falling into place to win a SB and I think Marino and Jim Kelly were much better than most of the QB's playing today.

Since 1978, only Kerry Collins has averaged fewer yards per attempt with at least 10 Super Bowl passes. Two interceptions and a lost fumble were each turned into seven San Francisco points. Elway is the only quarterback with games in the top 20 and bottom 20 of Super Bowl performances.

Dan could have had a ring for every single finger on both hands if he played for the 49ers of the 80s/90s....well maybe not every finger but I'd bet at least 6.

rafael said:
It is incontrovertible that Dan squeaked passes in to guys that were covered. He wasn't throwing it to the guy the defense dictated. What made Dan great was that he completed passes even when the D did everything right.

No question he could squeeze passes into tight places. But that has nothing to do with you saying he couldn't read a defense.

Dolphin$ said:
i don't understand the comment that it would be a close call between dan and john elway.

elway is not even close talk about a guy that had the team to win the super bowl and the system. if you look at his stats he only went over 4000 only once in his career. and never had over i think like 27 td passes in a career.

He is a good qb even though i don't like the guy but i would put him with dan or montana or even united

I don't know this united guy, but the only reason I would consider Elway even near Marino was how competitive he was and was very mobile. He kept the chains moving. He also had a hell of an arm. Nowhere near as accurate as Marino's but very strong.

He also had similar teams to Miami prior to Terrell Davis. I never thought his teams were powerhouses that made it to the SB's (the early ones)

Back
Top Bottom