Switch Montana and Dan's teams | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Switch Montana and Dan's teams

PerfectSZN said:
I'll even be honest. The only QB I have ever seen that I would have to even think 2x about picking instead of Marino would be Elway. And I honestly think I still take Marino all loyalty aside.

See ther I could at least entertain the thought and compare them. I could also compare Montana if I was running west coast. But this guy who brings up Jim Kelly cannot be taken seriously as a football fan, just a Bills fan.

dolphan north said:
See ther I could at least entertain the thought and compare them. I could also compare Montana if I was running west coast. But this guy who brings up Jim Kelly cannot be taken seriously as a football fan, just a Bills fan.

You guys brought up Kelly.

I would never say that Jim was the best all-time. But I will say that he lead the Bills alot better than Marino lead the fins.

I would never say that Jim was the best all-time. But I will say that he lead the Bills alot better than Marino lead the fins.

I respect that Jim Kelly did a "good" job and was a pretty decent QB. But the reason he "lead" the bills better than Marino (as you put it) is that he had Thurman Thomas, a slightly better O-line, oh and yeah, Bruce Smith was on your side chasing Marino.

Looking back now, I realize that you had the better team. We had the better QB but it wasn't enough.

PerfectSZN said:
I respect that Jim Kelly did a "good" job and was a pretty decent QB. But the reason he "lead" the bills better than Marino (as you put it) is that he had Thurman Thomas, a slightly better O-line, oh and yeah, Bruce Smith was on your side chasing Marino.

Looking back now, I realize that you had the better team. We had the better QB but it wasn't enough.

Good? The guy is a Hall of Famer!

How ever you slice it, after I watched Bills/Phins games back then I was happy.

Honesty Time:

I miss those days, Kelly v Marino was awsome, both teams being good is great, it hasn't ben that way in a while.

Losman7 said:
You guys brought up Kelly.

Pffft. :shakeno:

People say some crazy things. Marino led teams that were inferior to the TEAMS that Kelly played on. If Kelly would have played without Thurman THomas and a good defense, he would have never had the opportunity to choke in 4 consecutive Super Bowls. (Now you'll say at least Kelly went to 4)Kelly alone was not that great. But Marino, with whoever, was always good. Marino made people around him better. THe people around Kelly made Kelly look better. That doesn't just go for Kelly, that goes for a lot of the QBs that are considered all time greats.

I miss those days, Kelly v Marino was awsome, both teams being good is great, it hasn't ben that way in a while.

I miss them to, of course I would have wanted to go to the show!!

I do believe those times are coming back soon though. I believe we will get things straight in 2-3 yrs and I think your team will have it together by late next year. Although, I must confess... I have no idea who you guys lose after next season. If it was someone important, you might take a step back without really good drafts.

SCall13 said:
Marino was great at reading the defense. If he couldn't read a defense he wouldn't have had the numbers he did, he would have thrown way more INTs, and his uncanny ability to bring our team back froma deficit would not have been there. His ability to read a defense is what made him so great at the 2 minute drill. I don't know how you are coming to your conclusion that Marino couldn't read a defense well, but it makes no sense.

It is incontrovertible that Dan squeaked passes in to guys that were covered. He wasn't throwing it to the guy the defense dictated. What made Dan great was that he completed passes even when the D did everything right.

PerfectSZN said:
Might as well not even fake it. Nobody thought, "Wow, if he hands it off to that RB, he might just break it for more than 3 yards"

Maybe so, but that wasn't the reason Dan gave.

Sure can tell it`s June, judging by the responses on this thread. It`s a moot point, but Dolphin fans continue to pull their hair out year after year comparing Marino to Montana (that`s what this thread was initially about right, not Kelly) or Elway or Brady or whoever else that`s won a SB. Bottom line, Dan didn`t get a ring with Miami, and we`ll never know if could have won one playing on another team. He`s the greatest ever imo, but why compare him to other QBs and their teams...it doesn`t matter.

SCall13 said:
Pffft. :shakeno:

People say some crazy things. Marino led teams that were inferior to the TEAMS that Kelly played on. If Kelly would have played without Thurman THomas and a good defense, he would have never had the opportunity to choke in 4 consecutive Super Bowls. (Now you'll say at least Kelly went to 4)Kelly alone was not that great. But Marino, with whoever, was always good. Marino made people around him better. THe people around Kelly made Kelly look better. That doesn't just go for Kelly, that goes for a lot of the QBs that are considered all time greats.

Sure he had great players around him, BUT HE RAN THE ENTIRE OFFENSE. He used his weapons brilliantly.

I'm done with this worthless debate. I don't care what you guys think about Kelly. At the end of the day when you look at the stat that matters, wins/losses, Kelly has a higher winning percentage, and thats really all I care about

PerfectSZN said:
I miss them to, of course I would have wanted to go to the show!!

I do believe those times are coming back soon though. I believe we will get things straight in 2-3 yrs and I think your team will have it together by late next year. Although, I must confess... I have no idea who you guys lose after next season. If it was someone important, you might take a step back without really good drafts.

The only guy we need to sign after next year is Clements.

The year after Fletcher and milloy, but thats a ways away, alot can happen between now and then.

Our cap for next year is really good though.

He`s the greatest ever imo, but why compare him to other QBs and their teams...it doesn`t matter.

Because it is FUN and there is no FINS games on!!! Not to mention, I really do believe he would have done better than Montana. Montana was a little overrated due to his team and system. Not saying he stunk, he just wasn't the GOD they made him out to be.

PerfectSZN said:
Because it is FUN and there is no FINS games on!!! Not to mention, I really do believe he would have done better than Montana.
But you will never know if Marino would have won more than 4 Super Bowls do you, where`s the fun in that? It makes me ill knowing Marino never won a championship, the last thing I want to do is imagining him playing for the Niners, or anybody else. Joe won 4, Dan won none...where`s the justice in that, huh?
Sorry, back to the "what if" thread.

It makes me ill knowing Marino never won a championship, the last thing I want to do is imagining him playing for the Niners

Even if it meant we won a SB with someone else, I would never want to see Marino in any other uniform. Except perhaps when he thought of going to Minny (I just didn't want the Jax game to be his last). What I was really saying was to keep Marino and flip the teams. It is all make believe and we will never know. I just wanted to give respect to Marino by saying what I believe to be true, "He was the greatest of all times and deserved or deserves a SB ring.

Back
Top Bottom