Switching gears...Steroids in the NFL? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Switching gears...Steroids in the NFL?

Human Growth is the prefer steriods use by atheletes since is harder to detect.

Originally posted by CirclingWagons
but not for a prolonged period of time: Lyle Alzado
I'm not to sure that the word moderation was in his vocabulary though.

Your right about the prolonged periods though.

Originally posted by Scrappy
I think that in moderation, and under a doctor's supervision, it can be relatively safe. Keyword: relatively

Its a must, u must keep these athletes healthy regardless. Coaches don't get into this because they aren't paid to advise their players not to take it.

Jeff Zgonina is juiced for sure.

I can tell he juices.

but not for a prolonged period of time: Lyle Alzado

Prolonged use of steroids is bad, specially if used at high dosages. If the cycle is there and that and you manage to keep your strengh gains then there shouldn't be no reason you would juice. Some bodybuilders juice up to 10 steroids in a cycle at high dosages and they look like beasts.

Originally posted by minus
Human Growth is the prefer steriods use by atheletes since is harder to detect.

Sadly, Human Growth Hormones aren't enough for these animals. They have the money to pay for it of course since they are rich.

While I'm not denying that steroid use is prevalent within the NFL (at least relative to the population at large) I'd have to say it's a bit premature as well as immature to name specific players and accuse them without having even the slightest shred of evidence. The last time I checked, this was still the U.S. and the term "innocent until proven guilty" still applied (unless of course you're a foreign terrorist suspect, then your just sent to rot in Cuba.)

As someone who has done multidisciplinary-physical training since about 1992 and has taken formal (i.e. collegiate) courses on exercise physiology and nutrition, I can assure you that, in certain people, extraordinary, and often enormous, physiques can occur with proper nutrition and exercise. While steroids provide a boost there are legal (although somewhat more rigorous) ways of achieving virtually identical gains to those achieved through the use of steroids.

In future, unless you have concrete evidence to the contrary, it would be advisable to keep your opinions as to specific player’s steroid use out of the discussion; it's simply classless.

Originally posted by Cranx
While I'm not denying that steroid use is prevalent within the NFL (at least relative to the population at large) I'd have to say it's a bit premature as well as immature to name specific players and accuse them without having even the slightest shred of evidence. The last time I checked, this was still the U.S. and the term "innocent until proven guilty" still applied (unless of course you're a foreign terrorist suspect, then your just sent to rot in Cuba.)

As someone who has done multidisciplinary-physical training since about 1992 and has taken formal (i.e. collegiate) courses on exercise physiology and nutrition, I can assure you that, in certain people, extraordinary, and often enormous, physiques can occur with proper nutrition and exercise. While steroids provide a boost there are legal (although somewhat more rigorous) ways of achieving virtually identical gains to those achieved through the use of steroids.

In future, unless you have concrete evidence to the contrary, it would be advisable to keep your opinions as to specific player’s steroid use out of the discussion; it's simply classless.

That's why I posted this: "We also have to take into account that pro football teams have doctors, trainers,top-of-the line exercise equipment, and probably even nuritionists to ensure they get maximal gains in their training.These are things that have advanced over the years, so I wouldn't point to their physical improvements as totally a result of drugs."

It's pretty safe to say Alzado used them. Actually, it's a well known fact.

nice to see soem replies!Cranx I agree there are ways to get bigger and stronger w/out them but its hard for me to see soem kid coming out of college and putting on 30lbs of muscle in one summer. worse yet, coming out of High school and putting on 30llbs. of muscle in one summer.
I see quite a few kids getting picked up by major U's projected to play D-line weighing in the range of 230lbs. By the time they hit the field a year or 2 later they are a solid 250-270lbs!

the key words you used are: i"n certain people, extraordinary, and often enormous, physiques can occur with proper nutrition and exercise"

I doubt that 80 kids on one college roster fit that bill yet walk into a locker room of these same schools and you see hercules like builds all over!

Originally posted by Scrappy

That's why I posted this: "We also have to take into account that pro football teams have doctors, trainers,top-of-the line exercise equipment, and probably even nuritionists to ensure they get maximal gains in their training.These are things that have advanced over the years, so I wouldn't point to their physical improvements as totally a result of drugs."

It's pretty safe to say Alzado used them. Actually, it's a well known fact.

Of course. I'm not disputing the Alzado thing, I'm just saying that it's pretty stupid to name guys like Ricky Williams, Zach Thomas, Jr Seau, etc when the person doing so has absolutely no clue what he's talking about. If you say something about Barrett Robbins or Ty Wheatley, that would be another story altogether as they've been implicated in the use of steroids but the other guys are being slammmed simply because they're muscle bound? Come on, that's just ignorant.

Oh let me get this out of the way, btw let me know your opinion.

I think that steroids are OK IF a doctor is administering it!

C'mon a stripper on south beach can get implants, a fat boy can get his stomach stapled, Mikey jackson can have his nose cut off and skin bleached but a 30 something guy cant get test injected by a Doctor twice a month for cosmetic reasons?

Keep the replies comin'.

Originally posted by knoxpk
nice to see soem replies!Cranx I agree there are ways to get bigger and stronger w/out them but its hard for me to see soem kid coming out of college and putting on 30lbs of muscle in one summer. worse yet, coming out of High school and putting on 30llbs. of muscle in one summer.
I see quite a few kids getting picked up by major U's projected to play D-line weighing in the range of 230lbs. By the time they hit the field a year or 2 later they are a solid 250-270lbs!

the key words you used are: i"n certain people, extraordinary, and often enormous, physiques can occur with proper nutrition and exercise"

I doubt that 80 kids on one college roster fit that bill yet walk into a locker room of these same schools and you see hercules like builds all over!

I agree, thirty pounds in one summer is over the top but, I believe you're talking about the exception, not the rule. Sure, there are a lot of kids using juice to give them that extra edge, but I'd say the majority are not especially considering the fact that it has become increasingly more difficult to beat the system in this regard. All I'm saying is that we need to be cautious in this regard as some people want to label everyone who bulks, or drops body fat as a juicer.

One more example here is the fact that people's bodies react differently to different supplaments. As a person who does lifts four days a week (for strength and endurance these days, not bulk) I can personally attest to the dramatic affect creatine had on my physique. When I started my first cycle years ago in college, I literally gained 12 pounds in a matter of three weeks and, besides protein supplaments, that was all I took. Given the proper diet and a more rigorous training routine, I would likely have been able to pack on another 8-10 pounds with no additional supplamentation.

I no longer use creatine as I prefer lean body mass to size (I'm a cyclist and weight kills speed) but I wanted to offer this as a first hand example of how certain supplaments can work on certain people.

Originally posted by knoxpk
Oh let me get this out of the way, btw let me know your opinion.

I think that steroids are OK IF a doctor is administering it!

C'mon a stripper on south beach can get implants, a fat boy can get his stomach stapled, Mikey jackson can have his nose cut off and skin bleached but a 30 something guy cant get test injected by a Doctor twice a month for cosmetic reasons?

Keep the replies comin'.

While all of those procedures are damaging, steroids can have both physiological as well as psychological impacts on a person and, unless they are used under a doctor's supervision in cases where they are NECESSARY I see them in a totally different light than cosmetic surgeries.

It is always an extremely dangerous proposition to mess with drugs for cosmetic purposes as there really is no telling what kind of reaction your body is going to have to said drugs. Besides that, any doctor who prescribes 'roids for cosmetic purposes deserves to have his license yanked and his butt placed in the cooler.

I would like to eventually become a personal trainer. I'm studying the ISSA's material, the NSCA's material, and I have an ACE book on the way. While I personally believe in doing things the healthy way, I still think you make a great point knoxpk. One problem though. Steroids can give a person a real attitude problem, while Mikey's nose won't necessarily do that. (Okay, bad example) I'd be curious to see what the statistics are for death due to steroids, as compared to liposuction. They say lipo is actually a dangerous procedure.

cranx good points and I also dont think we should name drop "suspected" juicers.

Like I said, I think it should be legal to get juice if it is done by a Dr. assuming we were given to option to make it legal.

Face it with several thousand muckity mucks like us admistering not to mention athletes at all levels if it were indeed that deadly we would easily see it. I would assume that if a dr DID do it(if ti were legal) the sickness and deaths we see NOW would go down even more!

Anyhow I agree also that proper training and supplaments is a key to grow and grow well. But I still have to figure that these kids ARE getting proper training and diets in college. In fact I dont know of any college with a team that has no str/conditioning coach!

Granted some people are just freaks and some are good football players on "the juice". I dont feel one way or the other about it but its something to talk about.

another thing I need to point out and it is also what go tme wondering in the 1st place.

230lb DT in college? and that was the BIG guy back in the 80's!

Its just unusual to me to see such a huge gain in one segment of the population yet 20 years later most people look about the same as they did in the 80's(minus the hair).
:cool:

to add to that another group of athletes experienced similar gains in size, pro bodybuilders, and many of them are admitted juicers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sport's nutrition and supplamentation took off in ways previously unimagined around the late 80's to early 90's so that explains part of the reason for the growth. In addition, training has become a total and complete science as opposed to simply a hit or miss proposition.

If you take note of the timeline of the late 80's to early 90's you'll notice something that will help to explain why so quantum a leap was made then. It was at this time that the Soviet bloc was crumbling and, particularly, the Berlin Wall fell. The East Germans were fanatical about their study of the human physiology and made strides in sport's medicine, training, and supplamentation that were previously unheard of. Once the wall fell many of these scientists filtered out to the west where they were able to parlay their incredible knowledge of athletic physique and training into a lot of money (something they never received in the former easter bloc.)

That should help to clear up some of the reason for the quantum leaps in the current athlete's physique as opposed to those of athletes past.

Back
Top Bottom