T.J. Yates' Pro Day | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

T.J. Yates' Pro Day

I think the biggest impact of Johnson coming back is that teams are going to have to play Houston honestly, whether Johnson is at full strength or not. His presence alone should stop teams from bringing a safety in the box.

i don't think thats the case...in the postseason with a qb as green as yates is and with what you're seeing from them on tape tonight at least i am all about stopping the run first and foremost and when i get them in long downs and distances doubling aj and looking out for the te which is his security blanket...

limit the run you will beat the texans in the postseason...at least for this year

Teams in the playoffs will force Yates to beat them over top and prove he can throw to Andre Johnson down the field.

Thing is, he can...and he showed it right away in that first game against the Falcons. That's why I think this conservative game planning can work if Johnson comes back. He threw a great deep ball to Jacoby Jones to start out the Bengals game, but Jacoby dropped it. It was a perfect deep throw. Andre Johnson doesn't drop that ball.

Teams in the playoffs will force Yates to beat them over top and prove he can throw to Andre Johnson down the field.

Thing is, he can...and he showed it right away in that first game against the Falcons. That's why I think this conservative game planning can work if Johnson comes back. He threw a great deep ball to Jacoby Jones to start out the Bengals game, but Jacoby dropped it. It was a perfect deep throw. Andre Johnson doesn't drop that ball.

so ck...straight up...you think even with andre that texans team beats the jets or pittsburgh or baltimore if they come in the building on wildcard weekend???

so ck...straight up...you think even with andre that texans team beats the jets or pittsburgh or baltimore if they come in the building on wildcard weekend???

It depends on Wade Phillips health and the status of the defense, to be honest. A little shine has come off that defense with Wade ailing.

But yeah I think they have a style that plays well in tournament play, to a certain degree. I think they're capable of getting to the AFC Championship but that's about as far as I could see them going.

It depends on Wade Phillips health and the status of the defense, to be honest. A little shine has come off that defense with Wade ailing.

But yeah I think they have a style that plays well in tournament play, to a certain degree. I think they're capable of getting to the AFC Championship but that's about as far as I could see them going.

fair enough...i say any of those teams limit that running game which they will all sell out to do and they're done...

The Texans loss tonight is ALL on Gary Sparano, oops, I mean Gary Kubiak. I long for the day when there are no longer any pansy conservative head coaches in the NFL. TJ Yates would've won the game tonight if Kubiak had taken the leash off.

A lot easier said than done. That's the best run blocking offensive line in football and Arian Foster is an expert in picking his lanes. With that zone stuff it's never a matter of just straight up beating your man. Everything's on the move. They can stretch you to the outside, they can run the zone-in cutback to the back side, or they can bootleg off it. The effect is that linebackers and defensive linemen have to respect all three zones, creating all kinds of hesitation. The zone-stretch and bootlegs set up the zone-inside nicely. The hesitation in the linebackers watching for the back side bootleg created zone-inside lanes. Once those were exploited the bootlegs came open again.

Again I think you need an Andre Johnson for the defense to have cause to respect you deep but also because when Yates throws that beautiful deep ball of his you need a guy with skill to run under it and catch it, hurt the defense.

We'll see. Next week will be a good indication. They're going to take the long week with Andre back and really try and work on the execution of the offense, maybe open up a few more avenues in the play calling, then try and hit Tennessee with it to see if it works. If it does, that will be an encouraging sign as they head into the playoffs.

I knew this could happen. Short week, Indy flying high off its first win of the year, Texans at a low point after snapping a 7 game win streak, having already clinched the division, traveling on a short week to a hostile environment where they've never won in 10 tries...let's just say I put my money where my mouth was and I'm pretty happy about this outcome.

Since this is a Yates thread I'll comment on Yates. What I'll say is, 13 of 16 for 132 yards, 8.3 yards per attempt, on interceptions...he wasn't bad. I don't see criticism there. Save the criticism for the coaching staff. They played a "bad team" game plan today and it back fired on them. When you're playing a bad team you figure that you're better at executing than they are, and so all you have to do is execute normal, conservative plays...and eventually you'll win the game because the other team can't execute. The Texans had no desire to call anything that could have opened the offense up. I don't know how much of that you blame on Yates. The coaching staff is calling games like they just can't wait for Andre Johnson to come back healthy. That's the reality of the situation.

And that defensive meltdown on the final drive...you've gotta get hold of your players if you're Gary Kubiak. Unlike Mike Mayock, I thought ALL of the calls on that drive were justified, even the one where Watt dropped Orlovsky at his feet. The Texans are going to ask for that penalty to be reviewed and the review is going to come back saying it was a justified call because Watt grabbed onto Orlovsky's feet while he was on the ground and continued to put pressure on his legs even after the throw, trying to bring him down. You can get cute with camera angles and try and claim Watt was blocked into the legs, yadda yadda yadda, but at that moment when Watt had his legs and Orlovsky had thrown the ball, Watt was still trying to bring him down by the legs. He committed a violation and he was called for it. The other calls were spot on as well and they gave the Colts the game.

Next week the Texans get Andre Johnson back, and they'll have had a nice long week to get some install in there and work on some more advanced passing with Yates, work on opening some things up. Expect them to come at the Titans with a fresh approach, a more aggressive game plan, and to start executing how they expect to execute in the playoffs.

If Henne had a game like Yates did last night most people, including you, would have been tearing him a new one. It seems you left out Yates' turnover in your "not bad" stats. I'm not sold on Yates and I'm not sure how anyone could be after only 5 games, 3TD, 3INT, 6 fumbles, and a 180 YPG passing average. Hell, in his last two games against 2 of the worst teams in the NFL he has 0 TD passes and 3 turnovers.

Andre Johnson coming back does nothing but help Yates and that Hou offense.

Hell he gives them a weapon capable of taking a game over.

If Henne had a game like Yates did last night most people, including you, would have been tearing him a new one. It seems you left out Yates' turnover in your "not bad" stats. I'm not sold on Yates and I'm not sure how anyone could be after only 5 games, 3TD, 3INT, 6 fumbles, and a 180 YPG passing average. Hell, in his last two games against 2 of the worst teams in the NFL he has 0 TD passes and 3 turnovers.

Yates is a mid round rookie.

It's not like Yates carried the team in the win, he threw 20 passes. Are you going to toot your horn every time Yates does the slightest thing in the NFL? Where were you the last 3 weeks when they were on a 3 game losing streak and he wasn't doing crap. Wade Phillips has been the biggest reason this team is still winning without Matt Schaub, lets not kid ourselves. No Wade Phillips the last 3 weeks and it was 3 straight losses.

Good for T.J. Yates. Don't take anything away from him. I think he will get his *** kicked next week, but for a late round pick who cares?

I will say this...Miami would have beaten a T.J. Yates led team today OR would have gone to Denver and beaten the Broncos. The Fins were the 4th best team in the NFL when the season ended. Just cannot start 0-7 to say the least.

It's not like Yates carried the team in the win, he threw 20 passes. Are you going to toot your horn every time Yates does the slightest thing in the NFL? Where were you the last 3 weeks when they were on a 3 game losing streak and he wasn't doing crap. Wade Phillips has been the biggest reason this team is still winning without Matt Schaub, lets not kid ourselves. No Wade Phillips the last 3 weeks and it was 3 straight losses.

He just won a PLAYOFF game, which many people insisted he couldn't do. So yeah, I'm gonna bring it up.

Where was I the last three weeks? I've been here the whole time. I talked plenty about Yates after the Colys loss. He'll I even predicted the Colts loss. And yeah, you can ignorantly hang the Week 17 loss on him if you want. But those that pay attention know Yates was only in for about one drive, and it was an 80+ yard TD drive, then he was pulled with a banged shoulder because the Texans didn't care about the outcome of the came (hence going for two from like 14 yards out after penalty instead of kicking the extra point to go into overtime).

A rookie 5th round pick just won a playoff game and you don't expect the first guy to have been talking him up extensively at a time most everyone believed him a camp arm at best, to mention it? Are you new to message boards?

Alright ck toot your horn away. It gets tiring after a while. You weren't the only one that liked Yates though, there were others here as well. Personally I think Yates is average and I don't think he's better than Matt Moore so he wouldn't have benefited us in any way.

Keep tootin that horn though.

Back
Top Bottom