T.O. said freshman Tua reminded him of Steve Young | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

T.O. said freshman Tua reminded him of Steve Young

NYPhinzFan

Scout Team
Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted, but a cool 2 minute clip of Terrell Owens recounting his impression of catching passes from Tua as a true freshman.

He said he hit every single throw and he said "this guy can start in the league right now".

I personally believe That got in his own head in his last few starts this season. Once he settles in and starts playing loose, he'll be what the Dolphins expected him to be.

Not sure if this was posted, but a cool 2 minute clip of Terrell Owens recounting his impression of catching passes from Tua as a true freshman.

He said he hit every single throw and he said "this guy can start in the league right now".

I personally believe That got in his own head in his last few starts this season. Once he settles in and starts playing loose, he'll be what the Dolphins expected him to be.

I don't have much faith right now in the team developing Tua. Results matter, and it is better that we all wait to see what the Team is going to do. Picking a WR in the first round as I previously said doesn't have a high upside for teams. Only 8 WR's taken in the first round since 2000 became All-Pro (first or second team), and 2 of them as returners (Ted Ginn being one of them). As much as Smith would be a nice pick, the team would be better off trading down. If Smith somehow lands on our lap then maybe, but there are other players in other positions that we would benefit more from. When we drafted Ted Ginn Jr. there were so many players available that we could have picked instead. We could have picked Patrick Willis (pro bowl, DPY), or just about anyone but him. His pick didn't improve the offense, and sent many people packing. If we really care about our offense we need to gather whatever we can through free agency, and build from there.

I don't have much faith right now in the team developing Tua. Results matter, and it is better that we all wait to see what the Team is going to do. Picking a WR in the first round as I previously said doesn't have a high upside for teams. Only 8 WR's taken in the first round since 2000 became All-Pro (first or second team), and 2 of them as returners (Ted Ginn being one of them). As much as Smith would be a nice pick, the team would be better off trading down. If Smith somehow lands on our lap then maybe, but there are other players in other positions that we would benefit more from. When we drafted Ted Ginn Jr. there were so many players available that we could have picked instead. We could have picked Patrick Willis (pro bowl, DPY), or just about anyone but him. His pick didn't improve the offense, and sent many people packing. If we really care about our offense we need to gather whatever we can through free agency, and build from there.
You're really going to say "results matter" when Tua had 9 starts as a rookie and actually posted decent rookie numbers? Not all rookies go all Herbert their rookie year. We haven't even seen if this staff can develop him yet... and as far as bringing up Ginn, dude that was 14 years ago, completely different FO, staff, etc. It has ZERO relevance to 2021.

You're really going to say "results matter" when Tua had 9 starts as a rookie and actually posted decent rookie numbers? Not all rookies go all Herbert their rookie year. We haven't even seen if this staff can develop him yet... and as far as bringing up Ginn, dude that was 14 years ago, completely different FO, staff, etc. It has ZERO relevance to 2021.
It has a lot of relevance if we are going to discuss picking up a wide receiver in the first round. Did you not read the stat I posted? Or read at all? Different free agency, or the same free agency the stat itself applies to all franchises that have picked a wide receiver in the first round. I actually got the stat wrong, it is 9 receivers out of 77 1st round picks since 2000. And only one of them as punt returner, not 2. I understand the results argument you are making, and you are right, but as you said, we haven't seen if this staff can develop him yet so there are more question marks right now than anything. If that wasn't the case then you wouldn't be seeing so many dumb rumors flying around from Armando, or guys like Omar Kelly.

Look at the last 4 WRs drafted in the top ten that came from the SEC. Mike Evans, Julio Jones, AJ Green, and Amari Cooper. SEC WRs drafted in the first round have an insanely high hit rate.

I'm not big on Smith at all. Chase is a monster. Smith is pretty much just fast. NFL he won't get near separation he does in college. Chase imo is more pro material

Look at the last 4 WRs drafted in the top ten that came from the SEC. Mike Evans, Julio Jones, AJ Green, and Amari Cooper. SEC WRs drafted in the first round have an insanely high hit rate.
Out of 77 receivers only 9 of them became all pro, and one of them as a punt returner. With Quarterbacks if it matters to you, only less than half drafted in the 1st round get to throw over 24 td's and 4k yards.

I'm not big on Smith at all. Chase is a monster. Smith is pretty much just fast. NFL he won't get near separation he does in college. Chase imo is more pro material

I could only hope for his success where ever he goes. This is a passing league after all. Tyreek could have been drafted a lot higher if it weren't for his domestic abuse case, but he ran a 4.29 at the combine. You don't see him getting separation all the time do you?

I decided to take a look at every first round WR selected since 2010 just to see how they panned out:
2010 - Demaryius Thomas (22) - Hit
2010 - Dez Bryant (24) - Hit
2011 - AJ Green (4) - Hit
2011 - Julio Jones (6) - Hit
2011 - Jonathan Baldwin (26) - Miss
2012 - Justin Blackmon (5) - Miss
2012 - Michael Floyd (13) - Miss
2012 - Kendall Wright (20) - Miss
2012 - AJ Jenkins (30) - Miss
2013 - Tavon Austin (8) - Miss
2013 - DeAndre Hopkins (27) - Hit
2014 - Sammy Watkins (4) - Miss (productive but not 4th overall productive)
2014 - Mike Evans (7) - Hit
2014 - Odell Beckham Jr (12) - Hit
2014 - Brandin Cooks (20) - Hit
2014 - Kelvin Benjamin (28) - Miss
2015 - Amari Cooper (4) - Hit
2015 - Kevin White (7) - Miss
2015 - Devante Parker (14) - 50/50 on this one
2015 - Nelson Agholor (20) - 50/50 on this one
2015 - Breshad Perriman (26) - Miss
2015 - Phillip Dorsett (29) - Miss
2016 - Corey Coleman (15) - Miss
2016 - Will Fuller (21) - 50/50 on this one - beast when healthy but can't stay healthy
2016 - Josh Doctson (22) - Miss
2016 - Laquon Treadwell (23) - Miss
2017 - Corey Davis (5) - Miss
2017 - Mike Williams (7) - Too early but looks promising if he can stay healthy
2017 - John Ross (9) - Miss
2018 - DJ Moore (24) - Hit
2018 - Calvin Ridley (26) - Hit
2019 - Marquise Brown (25) - Too early
2019 - N'Keal Harry (32) - Too early
2020 - Henry Ruggs (12) - Too early
2020 - Jerry Jeudy (15) - Too early but looks very promising
2020 - CeeDee Lamb (17) - Too early but looks very promising
2020 - Jalen Raegor (21) - Too early
2020 - Justin Jefferson (22) - Early but looks like a massive steal
2020 - Brandon Aiyuk (25) - Too early

Summary:
Hit - 11
Miss - 16
50/50 - 3
Early but looks like a hit - 4
Early and could go either way - 5

Now since this discussion revolves more around top 10 WRs (Chase and Smith) let's look closer at those picks:
AJ Green - Was one of the best receivers in the NFL in his prime
Julio Jones - Has been one of the best receivers in the NFL since he came in
Justin Blackmon - Off-field issues are what caused him to bust
Tavon Austin - This was considered a bad pick at the time, everyone knew Austin was a gadget player and shouldn't have gone this high
Sammy Watkins - Miss but managed to become a productive #2 WR
Mike Evans - One of the best receivers in the NFL
Amari Cooper - Arguably one of the best receivers in the NFL (lots of mouths to feed in Dallas so stats will suffer)
Kevin White - Injuries are the main thing that ruined Kevin White
Corey Davis - Miss (may be following Watkins path to become a productive #2 WR)
Mike Williams - Incomplete (Looks to be a solid player but injuries have derailed him)
John Ross- This was considered a terrible pick at the time and was one of the favorites to bust

Summary for top 10 picks:
Top receiver in the NFL - 4 (Green, Jones, Evans, Cooper)
Look to be solid #2's - 2 (Watkins, Davis)
Terrible picks at the time that proved to be terrible - 2 (Austin, Ross)
Bust due to injuries/off-field issues - 2 (Blackmon, White)
Incomplete - 1 (Williams)

So in the last 10 years, 11 WR's have gone in the top 10 and 4 of them have turned out to be some of the best in the NFL, 2 look to be solid #2's who will have long careers, 2 were huge reaches at the time and ended up being a miss, 2 never really had a chance due to injuries/suspensions and 1 is incomplete (imo). You also have to look at the draft itself, for example 2020 had no top 10 receivers but that's because it's considered one of the deepest WR drafts of all time and you could definitely argue that if you move some of those WR's to the 2012 or 2017 drafts they end up going top 10.

I see your point that many productive WR's are drafted in Rounds 2 or later but so are a ton of receivers that never pan out. Chase and Smith are two of the best WR prospects since Green and Julio came out and if we want to see what we have with Tua, I'd much rather surround him with top prospects who are much less likely to bust. There's no guarantee that they pan out of course, but if we pass on some of these guys and wait until the later rounds to grab skill positions, there's much more risk that we would be sending Tua out there with a very lackluster supporting cast that isn't much better than the 2020 group he had. We want to see what we have with Tua, let's surround him with top-end talent that he can grow with and see what he can do!!

I’m looking forward to seeing how improved Tua is from a physical standpoint next season. Hopefully my theory is correct. I don’t know that Tua will have the wheels Steve Young had but I’m expecting a dramatic improvement. I also think getting his core strength back will greatly improve his accuracy which wasn’t bad as rookie anyway.

I’m looking forward to seeing how improved Tua is from a physical standpoint next season. Hopefully my theory is correct. I don’t know that Tua will have the wheels Steve Young had but I’m expecting a dramatic improvement. I also think getting his core strength back will greatly improve his accuracy which wasn’t bad as rookie anyway.

Its going to be huge that he can work on his body from a growth standpoint instead of a rehab standpoint.

I'm hoping that whomever we get as OC will stick around for a few years. I'd really like that continuity. Tua is the kind of guy I expect will end up knowing everything about the offense if he's given a couple of years in the same system. I see that as very beneficial for young QB development.

Back
Top Bottom