T.O. said freshman Tua reminded him of Steve Young | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

T.O. said freshman Tua reminded him of Steve Young

They are call draft steals. We can find our guy outside the 1st round.
So, no names of players that would be better suited for our team? No positions even?

I guess, I just feel like if you are so adamant against a highly touted receiver and speaking out how there are better positions/players we could draft- you should maybe have an idea of who or what?

So, no names of players that would be better suited for our team? No positions even?

I guess, I just feel like if you are so adamant against a highly touted receiver and speaking out how there are better positions/players we could draft- you should maybe have an idea of who or what?
Travis we all know what names are probably going to be picked in the first round at this point. Devonte Smith, Chase, Waddle, Marshall etc. If you ask me, Terrence Marshall will be a stud in this league. All the names people keep mentioning will be drafted in the first round. Back in the 2003 draft people were debating in between who was the better receiver, Johnson, or Charles Rogers. Penn State also had Bryant Johnson, Florida had Jacobs, and FSU had Boldin. All the receivers that I mentioned here were drafted in the 1st round except Boldin and Jacobs. Jacobs was chosen before Boldin. Out of that group that was supposably strong, only two of them ended up having pro bowl careers, and one of them was drafted in the 2nd round. Marshall Jr. would be your Boldin in this draft, except more physically gifted. Hope this all makes sense to you, I know you watch that draft too. If we can land Marshall in the 2nd round that would be a steal.

It has a lot of relevance if we are going to discuss picking up a wide receiver in the first round. Did you not read the stat I posted? Or read at all? Different free agency, or the same free agency the stat itself applies to all franchises that have picked a wide receiver in the first round. I actually got the stat wrong, it is 9 receivers out of 77 1st round picks since 2000. And only one of them as punt returner, not 2. I understand the results argument you are making, and you are right, but as you said, we haven't seen if this staff can develop him yet so there are more question marks right now than anything. If that wasn't the case then you wouldn't be seeing so many dumb rumors flying around from Armando, or guys like Omar Kelly.
9 of 77 is more than a 10% hit rate on all pro. Nevermind that its a ridiculous way to qualify success, now do the 2nd round, 3rd round and beyond see what kind of rate you get out of these...

9 of 77 is more than a 10% hit rate on all pro. Nevermind that its a ridiculous way to qualify success, now do the 2nd round, 3rd round and beyond see what kind of rate you get out of these...
You don't have to agree with me. We are using an upper ceiling here, or are you expecting to draft a player in the 1st round to return punts or play special teams? And I also did indicate 8 of them went all pro as a wide receiver, and one as a punt returner so that is about at the 10 pct mark. The whole point is that the success rate in the 1st round is very low. Whether you feel satisfied with the stat or not it doesn't really matter.

Travis we all know what names are probably going to be picked in the first round at this point. Devonte Smith, Chase, Waddle, Marshall etc. If you ask me, Terrence Marshall will be a stud in this league. All the names people keep mentioning will be drafted in the first round. Back in the 2003 draft people were debating in between who was the better receiver, Johnson, or Charles Rogers. Penn State also had Bryant Johnson, Florida had Jacobs, and FSU had Boldin. All the receivers that I mentioned here were drafted in the 1st round except Boldin and Jacobs. Jacobs was chosen before Boldin. Out of that group that was supposably strong, only two of them ended up having pro bowl careers, and one of them was drafted in the 2nd round. Marshall Jr. would be your Boldin in this draft, except more physically gifted. Hope this all makes sense to you, I know you watch that draft too. If we can land Marshall in the 2nd round that would be a steal.
Okay, so the question is- who do you think we should draft rather than a wide receiver?

and yes, they bust as 1st rounders, as do all positions. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pick one.

also- I’m down for drafting one in the second or third round too. Double down.

we NEED playmakers

You don't have to agree with me. We are using an upper ceiling here, or are you expecting to draft a player in the 1st round to return punts or play special teams? And I also did indicate 8 of them went all pro as a wide receiver, and one as a punt returner so that is about at the 10 pct mark. The whole point is that the success rate in the 1st round is very low. Whether you feel satisfied with the stat or not it doesn't really matter.
All Im saying is the hit rate for all pro is better in the first than in the 2nd, the second better than the 3rd and so on... This also applies to WRs, QBs, Ts, Gs and whichever position you want to bring up. Better players go earlier on average, mistakes are made but over 20 years, it all evens out and better players go earlier. So really if all your going to do is say 10% is not alot in the 1st round without comparing it to other rounds or other position groups, you're just wasting everyone's time as its completely useless...

All Im saying is the hit rate for all pro is better in the first than in the 2nd, the second better than the 3rd and so on... This also applies to WRs, QBs, Ts, Gs and whichever position you want to bring up. Better players go earlier on average, mistakes are made but over 20 years, it all evens out and better players go earlier. So really if all your going to do is say 10% is not alot in the 1st round without comparing it to other rounds or other position groups, you're just wasting everyone's time as its completely useless...
Right.

who knows which thread it was but someone compared 1st round OL too, and sure it may hit a little higher, but there are still massive busts of players drafted high too. At. Every. Position.

Right.

who knows which thread it was but someone compared 1st round OL too, and sure it may hit a little higher, but there are still massive busts of players drafted high too. At. Every. Position.
Yes, and all pro is just a bad metric to use IMO... I mean analysing 20 years of football yields you 20 players(40 if you include 2nd team), or data points. This is just not enough to make anything but a fun fact.

Okay, so the question is- who do you think we should draft rather than a wide receiver?

and yes, they bust as 1st rounders, as do all positions. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pick one.

also- I’m down for drafting one in the second or third round too. Double down.

we NEED playmakers

What positions do you think we should fill in the 1st round? Do we need to draft a wide receiver in the first round? If Terrence Marshall jr is still available in the 2nd round we shouldn't hesitate to pick him regardless if we picked a wide receiver in the 1st round or not.

What positions do you think we should fill in the 1st round? Do we need to draft a wide receiver in the first round? If Terrence Marshall jr is still available in the 2nd round we shouldn't hesitate to pick him regardless if we picked a wide receiver in the 1st round or not.
You are the one who is adamant to not draft a wr, why won’t you answer what your plan is instead?

I would say we need to draft a wr in the first with A pick. You have to try for that top talent. Otherwise, bpa within reason that fits. Parsons for example would be cool with me too, as long as we get a playmaker too

You can twist and screw every stat you can, but one thing for sure is that not all first round prospects end up being successful in the NFL. And we can measure success by performance. We dont' expect a 1st round pick to be a career 3rd down receiver, or punt returner. That stat only focuses on first round picks, we are not discussing 2nd round picks, or anyone picked in any round but the first round.

I agree on Marshall

would probably eventually take over for Parker and/or Preston Williams

You are the one who is adamant to not draft a wr, why won’t you answer what your plan is instead?

I would say we need to draft a wr in the first with A pick. You have to try for that top talent. Otherwise, bpa within reason that fits. Parsons for example would be cool with me too, as long as we get a playmaker too
We have a lot more holes to fill in than people think. If we can walk away from this draft filling most of them then that would be a win.

You can twist and screw every stat you can, but one thing for sure is that not all first round prospects end up being successful in the NFL. And we can measure success by performance. We dont' expect a 1st round pick to be a career 3rd down receiver, or punt returner. That stat only focuses on first round picks, we are not discussing 2nd round picks, or anyone picked in any round but the first round.
Im not twisting and screwing lol! You're argument is that Fins shouldnt draft a WR in the 1st round because the all-pro rate is only 10%... What if its lower in the 2nd round, and subsequently the 3rd and so on? WRs are now just an undraftable position in the NFL? And here's a crazy thought, what if... Its the exact same thing for every position groups? What do we do with our draft picks then?

Out of 77 receivers only 9 of them became all pro, and one of them as a punt returner. With Quarterbacks if it matters to you, only less than half drafted in the 1st round get to throw over 24 td's and 4k yards.

Why use All Pro as the standard for WR's but not for QBs? If your going to say only 9 WR's became an all pro out of 77 drafted then you should also point out how many QB's became All Pro as well.

The answer is 8 by the way. 8 QB's drafted in the 1st round since 2000 have become 1st or 2nd team All Pro's. Well Mitch Trubisky did become the Nickelodeon Valuable Player in 2021 for what its worth.

Back
Top Bottom