Tale of two Skylar's | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tale of two Skylar's

Also, I have to imagine Buffalo is going to stack against the run and make Skylar throw and beat them that way.
It's easy to say we are going to/we need to run the ball, but Buffalo will load to stop it. (If they don't, they should all be fired)
I think things will be open because of that.
I also think Buffalo expects to score 30 or so on us. They will stack the run and say Screw it, maybe Hill and Waddle pop a couple, we'll take that chance, because in the end, a 3rd string back up rookie just won't be able to keep up. When he tries to match point for point, he'll make mistakes and that's when things will go lopsided.

Imagine if we make the Superbowl and play the Eagles. That would be ironic.

Nathan Peterman was a preseason star too.

That’s why those games don’t count.

Yes, he definitely looked better against the Vikes!

Yeah those are some solid highlights and man i miss having Cracraft in there as well. He was alot better with those timing routes but still missed some. Even that long Waddle reception was thrown late imo, he had him open up right over the middle but waited and had to throw it a little higher because of the defender

If your highlight reel consists of some wild ass throws (one of those even appeared to slip out of his hand and was spinning almost upright through the air), you might not have very many actual highlights. The other thing to give consideration is how many of these highlight throws are to wiiiide open receivers. Defenses appeared to be playing zone with a large amount of room. It certainly wasn't first string NFL defenders.

Just chalk it up to 4th quarter preseason football.

I have not held back on my objective criticism of Skylar Thompson and his inability to be even a functional NFL QB. It has been ugly (to this point) and I will leave it at that. I like many were very high on him after his performance in the preseason. I have stated that this was against lesser talent and vanilla defenses, HOWEVER after going back and watching is preseason highlights, I see a drastically different QB than I do in his regular season play.

I mean watch this!

You see a QB throwing in rhythm accurately and confidently and taking a few chances to let his guy makes plays. It is in stark contrast to what he looks like now. You also see a QB who immediately knows when to run when it opens up. This leads me to believe one or 2 things:

1, he was playing in the preseason loose and not wasting his opportunity to make the squad. Now that he has made it, he is now scared of losing it . Or, 2.....the coaching staff has told him to play it very safe, don't throw it unless wide open, and don't run because we are down to our 3rd string QB in fear of injury.

If it is the 2nd, that sucks and needs to be corrected immediately!

The kid has shown he can obviously throw on time to where it is supposed to go and run and use his legs effectively. So why the change? It is more than just better competition and defensive game plans. What ever it is, I hope it gets fixed immediately and we see more of the preseason Skylar attitude against Buffalo or else it will not be pretty for him or this team!

WOW, where did that guy go? :shrug:

People say it's the jump from pre-season to the regular season. It's not that simple.

It's more the jump from pre-season to playing the best passing defense in the league TWICE with limited reps with the starters.

He's a rookie 7th round pick.

That being said, he should just wing it all over the place, we have nothing to lose. Break out every gadget play.
At the very least, make Buffalo go crazy.
Nothing to lose here as we are supposed to lose. The officiating will continue to be biased to the point of incredulity. Roll him out early, throw a deep ball to Hill or Waddle. If it’s an obvious PI but not called, we will know. Then make the game as boring as possible to give the network the middle finger.

If you cherry pick throws from Jets game like the Waddle out or the Hill sideline throw, it is clear that arm talent is not the issue. The scouting report for the draft mentions challenges with anticipation and with going through the progression.

Nothing to lose here as we are supposed to lose. The officiating will continue to be biased to the point of incredulity. Roll him out early, throw a deep ball to Hill or Waddle. If it’s an obvious PI but not called, we will know. Then make the game as boring as possible to give the network the middle finger.
Geez. What an outlook Eeyore.

What frustrates me is his slowness to react. Maybe he can improve but compared to Tua he looks slow.

I’m sure he’s just nervous. There’s a lot on the line now. I would love to just see him play loose and let them fly. He needs to take chances or else this will be ugly

I’m sure he’s just nervous. There’s a lot on the line now. I would love to just see him play loose and let them fly. He needs to take chances or else this will be ugly
He got us into the playoffs, theres nothing on the line now, nobody expects us to win, that should take some pressure off of him

I have not held back on my objective criticism of Skylar Thompson and his inability to be even a functional NFL QB. It has been ugly (to this point) and I will leave it at that. I like many were very high on him after his performance in the preseason. I have stated that this was against lesser talent and vanilla defenses, HOWEVER after going back and watching is preseason highlights, I see a drastically different QB than I do in his regular season play.

I mean watch this!

You see a QB throwing in rhythm accurately and confidently and taking a few chances to let his guy makes plays. It is in stark contrast to what he looks like now. You also see a QB who immediately knows when to run when it opens up. This leads me to believe one or 2 things:

1, he was playing in the preseason loose and not wasting his opportunity to make the squad. Now that he has made it, he is now scared of losing it . Or, 2.....the coaching staff has told him to play it very safe, don't throw it unless wide open, and don't run because we are down to our 3rd string QB in fear of injury.

If it is the 2nd, that sucks and needs to be corrected immediately!

The kid has shown he can obviously throw on time to where it is supposed to go and run and use his legs effectively. So why the change? It is more than just better competition and defensive game plans. What ever it is, I hope it gets fixed immediately and we see more of the preseason Skylar attitude against Buffalo or else it will not be pretty for him or this team!

Nice write up. IMO is was number 2. And it was the best strategy given the situation, This week we will open it up a bit more unless we somehow get a lead and try to run out the clock by running and going conservative on pass plays. I’ll take an ugly win over a pretty stat filled loss any day!

Back
Top Bottom