Tale of two Skylar's | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tale of two Skylar's

I have not held back on my objective criticism of Skylar Thompson and his inability to be even a functional NFL QB. It has been ugly (to this point) and I will leave it at that. I like many were very high on him after his performance in the preseason. I have stated that this was against lesser talent and vanilla defenses, HOWEVER after going back and watching is preseason highlights, I see a drastically different QB than I do in his regular season play.

I mean watch this!

You see a QB throwing in rhythm accurately and confidently and taking a few chances to let his guy makes plays. It is in stark contrast to what he looks like now. You also see a QB who immediately knows when to run when it opens up. This leads me to believe one or 2 things:

1, he was playing in the preseason loose and not wasting his opportunity to make the squad. Now that he has made it, he is now scared of losing it . Or, 2.....the coaching staff has told him to play it very safe, don't throw it unless wide open, and don't run because we are down to our 3rd string QB in fear of injury.

If it is the 2nd, that sucks and needs to be corrected immediately!

The kid has shown he can obviously throw on time to where it is supposed to go and run and use his legs effectively. So why the change? It is more than just better competition and defensive game plans. What ever it is, I hope it gets fixed immediately and we see more of the preseason Skylar attitude against Buffalo or else it will not be pretty for him or this team!

Skylar's future with the Dolphins - pick just one:
1) Good
2) Better
3) Best
4) None of the above fit my "Lemming-lite" lack thinking.

He stinks under pressure. Hopefully he’ll get better over the next few years if he remains the Dolphins backup.

Skylar has arm talent watched jets tape. He had Hill and Waddle open a fair few times and Did not go and went with conservative play.
We won't get away with last week punt contest with field goals. I prefer he has a real crack now nothing to lose.

Yes, he definitely looked better against the Vikes!

There is a huge difference in the way the secondary played in this game vs both the pats and jets.

The pats and jets both emulated the chargers with sticky man to man and a lot of holding.

I don’t know that the bills have that kind of personnel in the secondary.

But the team better be ready for press man, because a competent DC will mix two looks: 1) stack the box, play press man and bring pressure 2) bend but don’t break deep cover two to take away the big plays. And, he will disguise both looks 10 different ways presnap.

I just watched this same exact highlight reel last night. I watched every minute of preseason. I remember thinking Skylar looked really sharp and was hoping we didn’t try to stash him on the PS cuz he probably wouldn’t clear waivers.

Obviously the talent level he was going up against in the preseason was far inferior to what he’s faced in the regular season and what he will face on Sunday. But he still showed some flashes and for a very late round rookie he has played well overall.

I’m hoping with the added starting reps in practice and the continuity of being the starter from one week to the next, maybe the light comes back on for him in a big way on Sunday. If he plays turnover free football like he did last week we may have a shot.

Skylar's future with the Dolphins - pick just one:
1) Good
2) Better
3) Best
4) None of the above fit my "Lemming-lite" lack thinking.

Dolphins need to get a REAL back up next season. It's VERY LIKELY Tua is going to get hurt again.

That back-up needs to be a quailty starter.

You had me at preseason then I knew the thread was over for me ✌️

Dolphins need to get a REAL back up next season. It's VERY LIKELY Tua is going to get hurt again.

That back-up needs to be a quailty starter.
I don’t see that as a Venn diagram with any overlaps.

Who would be available that is willing to be a backup? Marriota? Ryan?

We thought that was Teddy this year, but this offense doesn’t seem to fit him.

Tannehill when he gets cut? Joking.

Actually Matt Ryan might work. He thrived in this offense.

I can’t think of who that person might be.

I don’t see that as a Venn diagram with any overlaps.

Who would be available that is willing to be a backup? Marriota? Ryan?

We thought that was Teddy this year, but this offense doesn’t seem to fit him.

Tannehill when he gets cut? Joking.

Actually Matt Ryan might work. He thrived in this offense.

I can’t think of who that person might be.
?????
Talking just to hear themselves talk.

Back
Top Bottom