Tannehill During 2016 Win Streak Vs Ajayi "carrying Him"? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill During 2016 Win Streak Vs Ajayi "carrying Him"?

Two of Ajayi's 200 yard games were in this set of highlights.

That's my quarterback... sniff.....

Man watching these highlights makes you giddy at the thought of Tanne finally having a real TE at his deposal. Look at what he was able to do with Grey and the other "TE-Jones" that we had on the roster.

BTW, The strike to Kenny Still towards the back of the EZ from 1000 miles away for a TD during the SD game is unreal! Study the aerial shot at 4min mark...

Dare God i hope the OL is 1000x better. Tanne took some nasty hits..

Last edited:
Man watching these highlights makes you giddy at the thought of Tanne finally having a real TE at his deposal. Look at what he was able to do with Grey and the other "TE-Jones" that we had on the roster.

BTW, The strike to Kenny Still towards the back of the EZ from 1000 miles away for a TD during the SD game is unreal! Study the aerial shot at 4min mark...

Dare God i hope the OL is 1000x better. Tanne took some nasty hits..

The arm talent is elite.

In fact, Matt Moore outplayed Tannehill in 2016...

Miami on 3rd down with Tannehill:

52 of 149 = 34.9%

Miami on 4th down with Tannehill:

0 of 4 = 0%

Miami wins under Tannehill:

Cleveland (OT) = Worst

San Francisco = 2nd Worst

L.A. Rams = 5th Worst

NY Jets = 6th Worst (tie)

SD Chargers = 6th Worst (tie)

Bills = 10th Worst (tie) - Ajayi 214 yards, 1 TD

Cardinals = 13th Worst (left in 3rd quarter, Moore led Miami to GWD)

Steelers = 26th Worst (tie) - Ajayi 204 yards, 2 TD

Tannehill QB stats overall = 261 of 389 (67.1%), 2995 yards (7.7 YPA), 19 TD 12 INT = 93.5 QB rating

Tannehill QB rating vs teams with non-losing record = 128 of 200, 1429 yards, 4 TD 8 INT = 79.44%

Miami PPG under Tannehill = 21.61

Sack % = every 13.41 pass attempts

Tannehill’s opponents record vs teams beat = 35-77 (.312) if including AZ = 42-85-1 (.333)

Miami on 3rd down with Moore:

23 of 51 = 45.1%

Miami on 4th down with Moore:

2 of 4 = 50%

Moore QB stats overall = 84 of 123 (68.29%), 1010 yards (8.21 YPA), 9 TD 4 INT (includes Pitt) = 104.05 QB rating

Moore QB rating vs teams with non-losing record = 53 of 70, 494 yards, 3 TD 2 INT = 96.96

Miami PPG under Moore = 24 (includes Pitt in playoff), 27.33 without Pitt

Sacks = every 20.5 pass attempts (includes Pitt in playoff) every 87 pass attempts without Pitt

Moore’s opponents record vs teams beat = 12-20 (.375)

Lost all credibility with the first line, "Moore outplayed Tannehill". Show me with film, not out of context lists of statistics.

"losing records" also don't matter, what matters is the level of play from the defense he faced, the match ups, the throws and reads etc. Example, I'm pretty sure the rams defense was waaaay better than their defense. I'm also 100 percent certain Tannehill demonstrated elite play in the patriots game we lost that year too. search on youtube for "every RT dropback" and tell me with film how Moore is better.

Like Arron Rodgers, you mean try to carry his team but get injured?

IMHO Tom Brady is the only QB in the league that consistently carries his team. The rest of the names that get added are wrong.
because the pats don't win without him? wrong.

because the pats don't win without him? wrong.

They wouldn’t win consistently. They went 11-5 and MISSED the playoffs with Matt Cassel and an all star team in 2008 (16-0 the year before) and very weak schedule (covered at great lengths on here as we won the division that year). Brady wins without Gronk or without Edelman and he was sacked more than the Miami QB’s we’re in 2017 and he’s REALLY GOOD at avoiding sacks. I hate the guy and want to see him go down, especially at the hands of Miami, but he’s in a league of his own with the current NFL QB’s.

The true colors will come out in Philly. It will be interesting to see if the loss of Blount will diminish the running game in Philly. Blount is a solid back and pick up tough yards between the tackles. Ajay did that one year and then decided to go Madden mode most of the time whick left a lot of yards on the field.

As is the case around here, people cherry pick things to put Tannehill on a pedestal he has never earned. As if his 7 game run should be proof positive of his pending greatness.

Tannehill and the Miami offense had their best statistical season during the RT era under Philbin in 2014.

People can make their case for Tannehill but why the slice and dice to do it? It's always cherry picking and zero context. Instead it's just fluff year after year waiting for the guy to attain a level of consistency. Oh well TC and PS can't get here soon enough, as the football world goes on and we continue to debate a 7th year veteran QB.

Boats and hoes yall!

giphy (4).gif

So you're saying the guy is capable of great QB play even under a crappy head coach? Unfortunately our defense capitulated that year going from top ten to near bottom in the latter half of the season ironically enough after losing a shootout with Denver and Gase as their OC.

Of course Tannehill benefited to some extent from Ajayi's 200 yard games and more importantly, the threat of those occurring. Not any different than Russell Wilson benefitting from the Beast Mode and Goff this year benefitting from the threat of Todd Gurley. For those QBs, the RBs kept the defenses honest.

OTOH, IMO it was a symbiotic relationship. Let's not forget that in 2016, Tannehill was the 2nd or 3rd most accurate long ball thrower and had the 4th best QBR from that rare clean pocket, that did occur occasionally. And his arm kept the defenses spread enabling Ajayi to do his thing too. Lamar Miller benefited also as he never quite replicated his 2014 season lining up in the backfield with Tannehill. So there's that too.

Is anyone tired of typing the same stuff on the daily about Ryan or the running game.

God Training Camp can’t come soon enough.

Is anyone tired of typing the same stuff on the daily about Ryan or the running game.

God Training Camp can’t come soon enough.

At the risk of ruffling some feathers, I'll just say that I think some people who only talk about the QB incessantly probably don't know enough about football to discuss other aspects of the team. For instance, some of these guys not saying anything about our acquisition of Robert Quinn -- good trade? bad trade? Will he fit our scheme? etc. -- because they have never even seen him play football.

Hell, I'm not convinced these guys even watch Dolphins games.

I think if Tannehill's knee holds up, he'll have a good season. I don't know what else to say at this point. Please, knee, hold up?

Here's what needs to be know about Tannehill's play in 2016. When playing against bottom of the barrel teams he played well. When he faced stiff competition he played, well, like Tannehill.

The bottom 10 teams in 2016 - (Teams Miami beat led by Tannehill in bold)

1. Cleveland Browns
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. Chicago Bears
4. Jacksonville Jaguars
5. Los Angeles Rams
6. New York Jets
7. Los Angeles Chargers
8. Carolina Panthers
9. Cincinnati Bengals
10. Buffalo Bills

Tannehill was 8-5 as a starter and 7-5 in games he started and finished.

Five of the wins were against teams in the bottom 7 in the league.

The win against the 10th worst team in the league (Buffalo) was benefited by Ajayi finished 28 rushes, 214 yards and 1 TD.

The "one" win Miami had under Tannehill against a winning team (Pittsburgh) Ajayi finished with 25 rushes, 204 yards and 2 TD. Tannehill was an efficient 24 of 32, 252 yards, 0 TD, 0 int.

The win against another team with a losing record (Arizona) was Tannehill's best game of the season. Understanding the context, the Cardinals defense had fallen apart in the second half of the season particularly after the Honey-badger went down with an injury and missed the Dolphins game. Arizona was in the middle of an 8 game skid in which the defense was giving up over 30ppg. Moore also was credited with a GWD after the Cardinals tied the game.

Tannehill numbers against teams with losing records:

133-200, 1566 yards, 15 TD, 4 int, 106.79 QB rating

Tannehill numbers against teams with non-losing records:

128-189, 1429 yards, 4 TD, 8 int, 79.44 QB rating (most of the positive numbers were put up against NE in the second half after NE amassed a 31-3 lead laying off receivers and the Pittsburgh game with Ajayi rushing for 204 yards)

Miami had an easy schedule that year and I won't deny that but just to play devil's advocate, Tannehill clearly started hitting his stride after the Pitt game, numbers aside and just using the eye-test you could tell he had become more comfortable with the offense and that the confidence was there. We have no idea what would have happened if Tannehill played those teams in the second half of the season when Miami was rolling rather than at the beginning when they were learning how to play under Gase. Secondly, we have suffered for years where our quarterbacks would play poorly against both bad teams and good teams and now we show that the last time our qb played he absolutely dominated those bad teams, its a bad thing? I would expect his stats to not be as good against the top teams as they are against the bottom teams. I agree his numbers against those top teams need to improve and I am hoping he does this year but to say hes bad because he throttled bad teams is a poor argument. We should be worried if he played bad against those bad teams, not if he played out of his mind. Thirdly, like another poster said those teams as a whole were bad, but many of those defenses were actually solid/average and Tanny ripped them apart.

The season turned when Ajayi stepped it up against the Steelers, but it was really a great mix that year.

A lot of different people stepped up to win ball games for us. DVP stepped up vs the Rams. Drake had a kickoff return against Buffalo I think that put us up late in the game. Even Kiko had a pick six that clinched the SD victory, which was a huge win for us. Truly a great season.

Back
Top Bottom