Tannehill VS Tua Year 1 | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill VS Tua Year 1

His biggest flaw (and all QBs have flaws) is that he is stays with plays too long. He sticks in the pocket in an effort to make plays. IMO, that is not the fatal flaw that so many want to make it out to be. The same is true for many other QBs (Wilson, Watson, Mahomes, among others). The benefit of that is some huge plays. Wilson's whole career has been about trading sacks for big plays.

For years he was blamed for the sacks in Miami. Last season he was sacked 24 times (which is on the low end of the league) while playing behind a below average pass blocking OL. Does he get credit for that?

Roethlisberger stays in the pocket too long....Tannehill doesn't know how to move within the pocket. It is a flaw and one he has never been able to get past in his career. With the Titans hes had a combination of a smarter coaching staff that recognizes this as a flaw and adjusts accordingly and the most feared rushing attack in the game.

I don't think there's too much value in trying to compare the two players. They're so different. Tannehill didn't look like a QB when he stepped on the field and the hope was always that the phins could find someone that would mold him into one. That hope slowly faded as the years passed on he showed the same tendencies. Tua looks like a natural at the position and I think it will be a lot easier to figure out if hes going to be a success as a starting QB. If what we saw last year was a completely healed and physically fit Tua then hes probably going to have a tough road ahead. If he shows up moving better and putting more zip on the ball the only thing he'll have to overcome is the mental aspect of the game....the talent is there.

*Deep breath*

Here are two statements that I fully believe to be true:

1) No QB in the history of the NFL ever had a college-to-NFL trajectory like Tannehill - because of his positional change and being drafted in the first round.

2) No QB in the history of the NFL ever had a college-to-NFL trajectory like Tua - because of his type of injury and being drafted in the first round.

Tannehill does not have good pocket awareness, but he does have very good accuracy. The point is that every QB has strengths and weaknesses. The fact is that Tannehill has proven that he can produce at a top 5 level with in a system that does a better job of supporting his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses. Anybody who can only see his weaknesses is blinded by their own bias.

Tannehill does not have good pocket awareness, but he does have very good accuracy. The point is that every QB has strengths and weaknesses. The fact is that Tannehill has proven that he can produce at a top 5 level with in a system that does a better job of supporting his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses. Anybody who can only see his weaknesses is blinded by their own bias.
It absolutely goes both ways.

RT has a damn good "arm", and is a tough SOB.

Tannehill did not know Buffalo was in the AFC East.

He was unaware of the the Teams in the AFC East his Rookie Year. He was given the Job, Matt Moore had beat him in camp.

I was living in Austin at the time, my friends were Aggies and would drive to every AM Game. They were right he always chokes in big games. Still does…

Tua Fins Up 🐬

He was unaware of the the Teams in the AFC East his Rookie Year. He was given the Job, Matt Moore had beat him in camp.

I was living in Austin at the time, my friends were Aggies and would drive to every AM Game. They were right he always chokes in big games. Still does…

Tua Fins Up 🐬
Not sure what the first two sentences have to dovwith anything.

As for the rest, Garrard was slated to be the "bridge" starter that year, and Moore was never a consideration. Once DG went down, and looking to the future, it made sense to go with the rookie, IMO.

That's more a matter of philosophy, than the names on the jerseys.

With what?

If you believe RT (and I like the guy) has a good pocket awareness, you are wearing the blinders of biased fan.

His "issues" with pocket awareness are overblown. I'd rate it no worse than average.

What you actually wrote was "Tannehill does not know how to move within the pocket." IMO, this is false. I can shows you many, many examples of him doing it. Here is one:

Watch what Tannehill does at the top of his drop on this 91 yard TD pass. A subtle move back and to his left of just a couple of feet gives him enough room to get off a all world throw to AJ Brown.

What I see a a guy that is slow to pull the ball down and scramble. If he does that on the play above, the 91 yard TD doesn't happen. It is all give and take.

Tua Fins Up 🐬

This is inaccurate.

Not sure what the first two sentences have to dovwith anything.

As for the rest, Garrard was slated to be the "bridge" starter that year, and Moore was never a consideration. Once DG went down, and looking to the future, it made sense to go with the rookie, IMO.

That's more a matter of philosophy, than the names on the jerseys.
3. But here are my big questions. Why didn't he perform better in big games? Why was Aggie so disappointing under Tannehill? Why could RGIII elevate Baylor, Weeden take OSU to the BCS and Tannehill not even get Aggie to play to their potential? In fact, why was Aggie the most disappointing team in the country (initial ranking vs. final ranking)?

Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma Aggie goes into the lockerroom trailing 13-10 and gets the ball to start the half. In the next 10 minutes of football, Tannehill goes 3-10, throws 2 interceptions, and the game goes from 13-10 to 41-10 in those 10 minutes. Game over.

Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma St. Tannehill plays well in the first half and Aggie takes a 20-3 lead into the lockerroom. 3 Tannehill interceptions just kill their chances. Weeden leads a comeback, on the road. Tannehill chokes at home. Tannehill 3 INTs and BTW Weeden goes 47-60, 438 yds 2 TDs.

Texas A&M vs. Texas This is the biggest game in Aggie history. Aggie feels like Texas has forced them to the SEC. When Aggie tries to keep the rivalry going, Texas tells them to pound salt. Texas has a putrid offense that is built for Friday nights. Texas has 16 freshmen that will log minutes. Aggie faithful sense the victory, and they make plans for "the eternal scoreboard". Enter Ryan Tannehill. After Texas does their part by picking up 7 yards in the entire first quarter and Texas A&M goes up 13-0, Tannehill leads Texas to the victory. 20-49, 224 yds 2 TDs, 3 INTs, with one of those INTs going for 6. Literally the only way Texas wins is if Aggie chokes it away and they do.

So to wrap it up - stay away from Tannehill. That collar gets tight when the game is on the line. In the Big XII - he is called "1 Read Ryan". If you take that 1st read away and make him adjust - he throws the pick. With Aggie rated in the top 8 in most preseason polls, in their 3 biggest games, all 3 choked away.

His "issues" with pocket awareness are overblown. I'd rate it no worse than average.

What you actually wrote was "Tannehill does not know how to move within the pocket." IMO, this is false. I can shows you many, many examples of him doing it. Here is one:

Watch what Tannehill does at the top of his drop on this 91 yard TD pass. A subtle move back and to his left of just a couple of feet gives him enough room to get off a all world throw to AJ Brown.

What I see a a guy that is slow to pull the ball down and scramble. If he does that on the play above, the 91 yard TD doesn't happen. It is all give and take.

I wrote no such thing. You are confusing posters maybe?

I watched the guy, every game he played. His innate pocket game was below average.

It got a bit better over time, and he also learned to throw it away quicker, mitigating the issue, but still not "good".

Why are you taking this personally? It's a fairly high concensus of those of us who watched RT over the years, including ardent supporters, that it is the truth.

Back
Top Bottom