*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

There is nothing wrong with comparing portions of careers if there is a valid reason (e.g. first few years of both QBs careers, similar seasons with respect to supporting cast, situations (sacks), etc). Makes no sense to cherry pick seasons, but it makes no sense to compare the play of a 12 year veteran and a 3 year veteran either. It makes no sense to compare the W/L records of a QB playing with the #1 defense and #1 running game to a QB with crap for a supporting cast, but people do it.
And sacks are also a function of the QB. Yes RT took a crapload if them. I commend him for his resilience. However some of these sacks were just purely on him and his inability to get the ball out.

And sacks are also a function of the QB. Yes RT took a crapload if them. I commend him for his resilience. However some of these sacks were just purely on him and his inability to get the ball out.

Some of EVERY QBs sacks are on them. Ryan is responsible for fewer of his sacks than almost any other QB. This has been analyzed to death by football outsiders and other sites. Tannehill was responsible for a very low percentage of his sacks.

Some of EVERY QBs sacks are on them. Ryan is responsible for fewer of his sacks than almost any other QB. This has been analyzed to death by football outsiders and other sites. Tannehill was responsible for a very low percentage of his sacks.
Football Outsiders you say? Isn’t that the site that ranks QBs by using advanced statistics such as Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement (DYAR)?

Tannehill has ranked 25-26-12-25-26 from 2016-2012 in reverse order.

Come on, this is not even close to being true. Here is an article from SI just a year ago that ranked the Dolphins backup QB situation #2 in the league - https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/15/ranking-nfl-backup-quarterbacks

I don't agree with that high of a ranking but review that list and tell me again that no other teams are more complacent. Please..... I think you are dramatically over rating the state of backup QBs in the NFL.

I don’t think I am overstating the situation at all. I think Miami once again is undervaluing the position after getting spanked for it a year ago, both on the field and in the pocketbook

This list was a Matt Moore love letter because of his performance when Tannehill went down. The fact that not only does Gase not trust him here but no team is interested in him as a starter, let alone a backup, carries more weight than this list.

I am looking at the list, and none of those teams have the issue where their main QB is coming off a major injury with no contingency plan. Indy even traded a first round WR in his second year for Brissett.

Its one thing in 2017, but after having gone what we went through and still no action . . . Its negligence at its finest.

kdawg- just a lot of nonsense with no real thought. instead if sniping about the way management is handling it- tell us YOUR plan.

Succinctly and CONCRETELY. with real names. Who and What and When management should have brought in for plan B.

I know right now you dont have one and wont respond accirdingly. more wishy washy sniping with no REAL alternatives.

go ahead, shock me with a concrete plan.

Oh I’m sorry . . . Because I don’t jive with your Nascar comparison of Tannehill and your certainity that he will come back better than ever . . . It makes me clueless with no real thought?

Your concrete plan is “Tannehill will be top 10 for the next 5 years” . . . Why? Because you said so.

Pot meet Kettle

My alternative for this offseason was to AT minimum utilize a mid round pick, rounds 3 or 4, where we had 3 picks, on a QB. Add some talent to the position and give Gase a quality secondary option to develop behind Ryan and give us some contingency if Ryan has a setback. Rudolph or Lauletta would of done fine.

I have stated this already yet you continue to barrage me by calling my posts nonsense without thought.

I have actually put a ton of thought into this, which is more than I can say for you.

That is Gase's decision because he has faith in Fales, not Brock.
Gase is sold that Fales can be a good QB in his system. I'm sure he sold that idea up the chain as well.
If Brock wins the backup QB competition; that will be a huge oversight by Gase because Fales wasn't what he thought he was.

I mean i actually don’t mind Fales here. Sucks that he isn’t PS eligible but I am also not opposed to carrying 3 quarterbacks either, so if he were to outplay the rookie and win the backup that is fine.

People think I want to draft a QB to surplant Tannehill and save our season . . . That is absolute nonsense.

I absolutely want Tannehill to return and dominate, but that fact doesn’t stop me from wanting to add talent to the QB position with the issues we have gone through in the past year.

No. Of course not. How many times do I need to type "Roethlisberger is better than Tannehill"? That is at least the third time in this conversation. The only question is how much? The end result (i.e. offense efficiency, points scored, team record, playoff appearances, etc) clearly says that the Steelers >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dolphins. IMO, there is still plenty of room for debate for how much of that is QB and how much is the rest of the team, coaching staff, etc.

IMO, if you put a young Tannehill in place of a young Roethlisberger, there'd be very little difference between the two teams. Roethlisberger was simply not asked to do very much.

In his third season, Roethlisberger's pass attempts went way up (from under 300 in his first two years to 469). The result was a passer rating of 75 and a record of 7-8 despite having a top 10 defense and running game. That is worse than Tannehill's rookie year.

The later Roethlisberger has proven to be a much more effective passer and an ability to be a focal point of a very good team. I would love for Tannehill to have the same chance to demonstrate that. I have seen nothing in Tannehill's play that would suggest he cannot. Would he be as effective Roethlisberger? Don't know. Certainly wouldn't guarantee that he would because he hasn't done it, Roethlisberger deserves the benefit of the doubt and the nod in his favor.

The only thing I objected to is the idea that there is no room for that discussion. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Let me add that I enjoy the back and forth with a knowledgable poster like you. We can disagree without being disagreeable.

So basically you think Tannehill can still become a hall of famer like Ben Roethlisberger? Cool story bro. Tannehill isn't bad but you're definitely reaching

Last edited:
okay kdawg954, so you're upset because the Dolphins chose to strengthen the team instead of taking a flyer on a rookie 3rd or 4th round QB. (as if that qb would make a difference if THill goes down).

Obviously the QB that Gase believes can succeed THill was not there, and he went with a veteran that might be able to win a game or two if our QB is out for a few weeks.

Sad that you actually "spent a lot of time" thinking up that plan, and thanks be that much smarter people are actually making decisions.

by the way, it's telling that you disagree with my NASCAR example. A good qb with a lousy team aint going anywhere of import, nor is a good driver with a lousy car. sorry, but that's the way it is, and most of us get that.

okay kdawg954, so you're upset because the Dolphins chose to strengthen the team instead of taking a flyer on a rookie 3rd or 4th round QB. (as if that qb would make a difference if THill goes down).

Obviously the QB that Gase believes can succeed THill was not there, and he went with a veteran that might be able to win a game or two if our QB is out for a few weeks.

Sad that you actually "spent a lot of time" thinking up that plan, and thanks be that much smarter people are actually making decisions.

Smarter people chose Brock Osweiler. To be wrong is one thing. To be a condescending dickbag while doing it, well ...

I am looking at the list, and none of those teams have the issue where their main QB is coming off a major injury with no contingency plan. Indy even traded a first round WR in his second year for Brissett.

Its one thing in 2017, but after having gone what we went through and still no action . . . Its negligence at its finest.

Indy's contingency plan is to roll out the 4-11 Brissett and that's okay with you? Ha ha. At least be fair. The Houston Texans contingency plan is Brandon Weeden. The Packers contingency plan is Brett Hundley.

There's three. They all went through it in 2017 as well.

by the way, it's telling that you disagree with my NASCAR example. A good qb with a lousy team aint going anywhere of import, nor is a good driver with a lousy car. sorry, but that's the way it is, and most of us get that.

While Gase, Tannenbaum, Grier, Parcells, Ireland, etc. are certainly much smarter football minds than I could ever be . . . .this organization hasn’t been to an AFC championship game in 25 years and has not won a playoff game in 17 years . . . And those “smarts” these guys have had, have not led to success in the win/loss column, so the decision making has been extremely questionable at best and horrendous in actuality.

Not having your “QB guru coach” attempt to develop a QB with a mid round pick in the draft behind Ryan . . . AFTER 3 drafts . . . Is just a poor philosophy, especially with Ryan having not completed either of the last two seasons.

I am sorry if you cannot grasp that concept.

Indy's contingency plan is to roll out the 4-11 Brissett and that's okay with you? Ha ha. At least be fair. The Houston Texans contingency plan is Brandon Weeden. The Packers contingency plan is Brett Hundley.

There's three. They all went through it in 2017 as well.

I think all 3 are in clearly better QB spots than Miami. Brissett was pretty damn decent last year. Scoffing at “his 4-11 record” is like scoffing at Tannehills 30-39 record after 69 games like its all on the QB.

While Hundley struggled, he’s still a drafted QB who is being groomed behind Rodgers and they added Kizer as well, who is also a young QB prospect that was highly drafted. But then again Green bay has ALWAYS gotten “it” when it comes to this position.

Houston just drafted Watson top 11 last year and their first pick wasn’t until the 3rd round. There needs to be some context.

And to counter your SI article: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...e-index-rating-all-32-teams-depth-chart-draft

They ranked Miami’s QB depth chart 28, only in front of the 4 teams that drafted a QB top 10 this year . . . .and honestly I would at minimum put Cleveland in front of Miami with Tyrod/Mayfield.

Last edited:
I think all 3 are in clearly better QB spots than Miami. Brissett was pretty damn decent last year. Scoffing at “his 4-11 record” is like scoffing at Tannehills 30-39 record after 69 games like its all on the QB.

Weren't you the one who brought up "last year's results" as it relates to backup QB readiness to lead a team? I'm merely giving you the results from other teams in 2017 that have stood pat despite have a major injury concern with their starting QB.

While Hundley struggled, he’s still a drafted QB who is being groomed behind Rodgers and they added Kizer as well, who is also a young QB prospect that was highly drafted. But then again Green bay has ALWAYS gotten “it” when it comes to this position.

LOL. Both Osweiler and Fales were drafted QBs.

Houston just drafted Watson top 11 last year and their first pick wasn’t until the 3rd round. There needs to be some context.

Or excuses. Isn't Miami's context that they needed to fill other holes via the draft?

And to counter your SI article: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...e-index-rating-all-32-teams-depth-chart-draft

They ranked Miami’s QB depth chart 28, only in front of the 4 teams that drafted a QB top 10 this year.

So is the issue that Miami has no contingency plan or that you just don't like it?

As has already been said by another poster. 90% of the teams in the league are dead in the water if their starter goes down. The only teams that aren't have a strong enough team to play well with a lesser QB (e.g. Philly, Minn). Isn't that what Miami is (and should) be doing?[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom