Tannehill's Trade Value | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill's Trade Value

The Florida Panthers just traded the worst player on their roster -- a guy who is statistically one of the very worst defensemen in the entire league -- for a 3rd round draft pick AND a competent player. And actually reduced salary in the process.

There is always a market for a player with physical talent and a history of good play. Always. If Miami doesn't get a good pick or player for Tannehill, then that's a failure of the front office.

The Florida Panthers just traded the worst player on their roster -- a guy who is statistically one of the very worst defensemen in the entire league -- for a 3rd round draft pick AND a competent player. And actually reduced salary in the process.

There is always a market for a player with physical talent and a history of good play. Always. If Miami doesn't get a good pick or player for Tannehill, then that's a failure of the front office.
Great, go get him for his superior passer rating and big throw percentage.

Might be able to get a pack of Fruit Stripe gum that lasts longer than 30 seconds for Tannehill...I'd be all over that trade.

Highly doubtful that any team will trade for him considering the contract. Tannehill's chance to prove himself without any doubt was this season. It didn't happen. My guess is that most teams probably see Tannehill as a backup QB at this point in his career. No team is trading for a backup QB making 26 mil a year.

I don't know hockey but in the NFL you don't get a "good pick or player" for a crappy one.

Tannehill has nothing more than marginal physical talent for NFL standards and a history of really mediocre play so not sure what you are getting at otherwise.

Any front office that watches film on Tannehill, and then decides to trade for him and his contract...would actually be worse than our front office.

Precisely. Do you want those people making any type of important decision?

The decision makers atop the organization or athletic department are most vital of all. When Lou Saban quit the Canes unexpectedly after the 1978 season, Miami was going nowhere. There had been talk of dropping football. But fortunately Howard Schnellenberger was available locally and still wanted to be a head coach. The combination of factors led to his hire, and birth of a monster program out of nowhere. I never pretended it would last, that it would maintain levels like Notre Dame or Alabama or USC or Oklahoma. But I'm so thrilled it actually played out that way in the prime of my lifetime. Once Schnellenberger left in a huff, it didn't have to continue other than the Canes were sharp enough and attractive enough to lure Jimmy Johnson.

As I posted a few years ago, if I were in that Dolphins war room and interviewing prospective head coaches, I would immediately get rid of anyone who praised Ryan Tannehill and said we can thrive with him. Just the opposite. The one guy who should get the job is the coaching candidate who is sharp enough and brave enough to tell everyone in the room that none of them can survive Ryan Tannehill, including Stephen Ross himself.

A guy like Ross who has enjoyed success at every stage of his life can't imagine why he can't fix the Dolphins. The answer is not entirely Ryan Tannehill but Ryan Tannehill is fully symbolic. Poor decision making instincts and priorities lead to Ryan Tannehill.

Great, go get him for his superior passer rating and big throw percentage.

Someone will be on the phone for him. I think a deal's going to be swung before the league year even starts and will be reported by back channels the same way the Alex Smith trade was last season.

We would probably be looking at a 3rd or 4th round pick since we would be eating almost half of his $26m salary next year. At $14m a year, he would be worth it to a team looking for a stop gap at QB.

I’m interested to see what we do, having $25m tied up in two players not on the the roster (Suh and Tannehill) would be a huge burden to Gase or as sellin point to any coach would we would be looking at if we move on. I would prefer us keeping Tannehill on the roster and drafting a QB early to compete in camp with him.

Someone will be on the phone for him. I think a deal's going to be swung before the league year even starts and will be reported by back channels the same way the Alex Smith trade was last season.

JDW, I appreciate your optimism, but I just don’t see it. Did you watch the past SEVERAL weeks? Tannehill is just a deer in headlights out there. He looks lost. This is more than Gase’s inane play calling. Much of the scoring this year were gadget plays, broken plays, or set up by the defense. I think almost 2 years of no play time just wasted his skills and reactions to where he is simply no longer a viable starter in this league.

He will be released due to his contract, as his future is most likely a backup in this league.

Back
Top Bottom