Targets at #18 | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Targets at #18

I have always maintained that I want my QB's best attribute to be throwing the ball.

I am all for using Hurts in a "slash" wildcat wr/rb role but he is not yet willing to go for that.
I agree, although the NFL is changing. We are seeing coaches get a lot out of these athletic quarterbacks. In a sense, while they are developing in other ways. There were a lot of scouts who didn't view Lamar Jackson as a quarterback. Now, he is probably top 5 in the league.

As to Hurts, I think he would be open to that role early in his career if it meant playing time and helping the team.

My gut tells me Herbert is the guy for Miami. If Tua and Herbert are there at #5, I'm not convinced Miami takes Tua. I know that would make a lot of fans angry if it went down like that, but from the standpoint of people paying the checks that would be somewhat understandable.

Now if Herbert is gone and Tua is there, who knows? That hip injury makes it a tough decision.

I still have my doubts long tern on Lamar Jackson.

I expect him to break down physically and once he loses some agility it will be over.

And Jalen Hurts is NOT Lamar jackson.

It would be very interesting if Miami is given the choice between Tua/Herbert.Not to mention Love/Hurts/Eason/Fromm.

They may not want to make that call since you open yourself up to second guessing for YEARS.They might prefer the choice to be made for them.

Look at Chicago, they are going to get sh*t for as long as Mahomes and Watson are good.

I am not sure what I would do in that position. Tua has more upside and is a better prospect, but does that outweigh the obvious durability concerns.

I am leaning Tua but if push comes to shove I am not sure I would go with the safer Herbert.

I think if I feel his hip is not going to be an issue going forward I go Tua.But you still have to worry about his inability to stay healthy behind a pretty stout OL in the SEC.

I still have my doubts long tern on Lamar Jackson.

I expect him to break down physically and once he loses some agility it will be over.

And Jalen Hurts is NOT Lamar jackson.
I've also thought that about Lamar Jackson.

It would be very interesting if Miami is given the choice between Tua/Herbert.Not to mention Love/Hurts/Eason/Fromm.

They may not want to make that call since you open yourself up to second guessing for YEARS.They might prefer the choice to be made for them.

Look at Chicago, they are going to get sh*t for as long as Mahomes and Watson are good.

I am not sure what I would do in that position. Tua has more upside and is a better prospect, but does that outweigh the obvious durability concerns.

I am leaning Tua but if push comes to shove I am not sure I would go with the safer Herbert.

I think if I feel his hip is not going to be an issue going forward I go Tua.But you still have to worry about his inability to stay healthy behind a pretty stout OL in the SEC.
It's completely different when you are writing the checks. Easy to say that Tua is better. I think 90 percent of fans would probably agree.

But, you make a good point. Miami might rather have another team decide between the two.

Grier has shown a bad tendency to "play it safe". Flores has called more "non-safe" plays in one year than I recall in the past decade. Tua isn't dumb and has to understand that he has the rest of his career to win the "big game". Not like he only has 3 years to bring Bama a title. Plus, nothing like getting hurt to make you see the light and realize you aren't Superman..

You take the injury risk and draft Tua. Flores will make it clear to him that he has to "throw the ball away" and "live to play another down". In fact I think Tua already knows that. The NFL loves to protect their QB's. Tua is good enough with his arm that we don't need him to use his legs.

Sign at least one stop gap tackle like Peters! And for God's sake draft a (slot) WR that excels at getting separation on shorter routes. Ditto on a RB that can run between the tackles, pick up the blitz, and catch the ball. A better FB and an in-line TE wouldn't hurt either.

Forget "edge rusher". I don't think that is the type Flores wants. I think he covets a Bruce Smith type who can set the edge, contain the run, and murder the QB. Heck I'll settle for a Jared Allen/Howie Long clone.

I must admit that Lamar Jackson did much better than I ever thought he would, and improved quite a bit from year 1 to year 2 in Baltimore.

But he is just not good enough throwing the ball. Without his threat to run he would be a disaster back there. And yes I know he brings that threat with him so it is there but I just don't ever see him developing enough as a passer to be able to succeed with out it.

And again, Jalen Hurts is not in his league as an athlete. I am not sure who is really.

Best case scenario for Hurts is he is Tyrod Taylor.

It's completely different when you are writing the checks. Easy to say that Tua is better. I think 90 percent of fans would probably agree.

But, you make a good point. Miami might rather have another team decide between the two.

It would be easier if we knew how Miami felt about Tua vs Herbert but not surprisingly they are not sharing at the moment.

They may like Herbert better than a healthy Tua for all we know. Or not like either of them. Or prefer to develop Love. Or like Jake Fromm's intangibles.Or Eason's arm.

:shrug:

This assumes the Fins go QB at 5. Unless a blue chip player falls to #18, I have no problem trading all the way out of the first round. Would rather have multiple day 2 picks than #18.

It would be easier if we knew how Miami felt about Tua vs Herbert but not surprisingly they are not sharing at the moment.

They may like Herbert better than a healthy Tua for all we know. Or not like either of them. Or prefer to develop Love. Or like Jake Fromm's intangibles.Or Eason's arm.

:shrug:
They certainly are keeping it tight lipped, which is good.

This is not the easiest quarterback class either.

They certainly are keeping it tight lipped, which is good.

This is not the easiest quarterback class either.
Very true! There are several different archetype QBs here. What STYLE of QB does Flores want. Does he want a Brady type, pocket QB? I sure hope so.

Very true! There are several different archetype QBs here. What STYLE of QB does Flores want. Does he want a Brady type, pocket QB? I sure hope so.
I want a quarterback who can do everything, like Russell Wilson, Pat Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers etc.

I must admit that Lamar Jackson did much better than I ever thought he would, and improved quite a bit from year 1 to year 2 in Baltimore.

But he is just not good enough throwing the ball. Without his threat to run he would be a disaster back there. And yes I know he brings that threat with him so it is there but I just don't ever see him developing enough as a passer to be able to succeed with out it.

And again, Jalen Hurts is not in his league as an athlete. I am not sure who is really.

Best case scenario for Hurts is he is Tyrod Taylor.
Is that best case or his floor? I do think that is a good comparison.

Back
Top Bottom