Targets at #18 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Targets at #18

I would run the card up for Thomas at 18 and then celebrate for absolutely stealing.

Long arms are such a benefit for tackles, allowing them to always punch first and stall the defender. If he was weak and didn't use him arms/hands well, then maybe i could see the problem. But the guy is good.

so would Miami

I have Hurts and Love in the same range but like Hurts better. Feel like there are enough offenses that fit his skillset, and while his slow trigger scares me, his overall ability and character are enough for me to like his chances. Love has the quicker trigger and bigger arm, but he's a lot more erratic, and his feet aren't particularly talented.

Hurts reminds me some of Prescott, in that both players were very efficient passers despite having some worrying tendencies and slow triggers. By protecting the ball, throwing accurately downfield, and using their legs to buy time and pick up 1st downs, they're able to compensate for some of the windows they see too late.

I would also bet on Hurts's character and ability to improve. I still think he comes with enough questions to keep him out of my Top 20, and I would guess the NFL will agree, but it just takes one team, and I do think he'll play well in an offense that uses a lot of play action and moves him around a lot.

This is like wanting to make sure a girl doesn't have any pimples on her butt before you date her.
I don’t see it with Hurts. He just doesn’t do anything well enough for me. You can’t build an offensive scheme around him because he isn’t a dynamic enough a runner as Lamar Jackson. He isn’t elusive as a Kyler Murray. Average arm strength.
I see him as a backup but I see Jeremiah and others comparing him to Dak Presott. Not for me.

I don’t see it with Hurts. He just doesn’t do anything well enough for me. You can’t build an offensive scheme around him because he isn’t a dynamic enough a runner as Lamar Jackson. He isn’t elusive as a Kyler Murray. Average arm strength.
I see him as a backup but I see Jeremiah and others comparing him to Dak Presott. Not for me.

I totally understand people not liking him. He has real questions/limitations. Just depends on how you value what.

Those edge names look hideous. After Chase Young there's simply too big of a drop off to consider mid first round. I may not like Young's test scores but logically he's going to make plays given his guile, and production rate with the Buckeyes after being a premier recruit.

With those two later first round picks I think offensive tackle and wide receiver make the most sense, given the layout of this draft. Maybe skip receiver at 26 if Winfield is still there. He could add smarts and toughness.

I would be thrilled with Tua and then Love but I realize that isn't going to happen. We're probably a decade away from multiple high round quarterbacks being accepted as proper strategy.

If Miami really wants to get it right idk why they don't do this with 3 first rounders this year..

I felt that way when Hurts was with Alabama. There was such a dramatic difference when Tua took over there.

But I think he improved in Oklahoma. Granted, I think the coaching staff there did a good job of utilizing his strengths and limiting his weaknesses. Which is what good coaches do.

I don't know. There are certainly positives to work with. He's not the athlete that Lamar Jackson is (who is), but he's a plus athlete. NFL evaluators like his leadership and team attitude. His arm strength isn't bad.

I've read that his floor is Tyrod Taylor with some comparing him to Dak Prescott.

That could be worth a look if Miami misses on other quarterback targets.

As much as I love all the picks we have, I think it is so important to move up from 18 and get one of the big 4 OT's.

For me looking at our roster and who fits best, I would rank them like this:

With Tua - Wills Wirfs Becton Thomas

With Herbert/Love - Becton Wirfs Wills Thomas

I'm not sold on Josh Jones or Austin Jackson - and I don't want to half *** this rebuild

Chaisson is like high school prospect in the NBA draft. Very young, tons of athleticism and tantalizing upside. Just wish there was more to be seen. Basically, just one year.

I doubt we pick at 18, we'll either move up for one of the top 4 tackles or trade back, imo. It's a tricky spot to project for us. Our need for Edge and CB has gone thanks to FA, we could use a safety and a nose on D but that's about it. We need that tackle so if we do stay at 18, think it will be Josh Jones, many think that's over drafting him, I'm not on that train personally and think if we wait till 26 he'll be gone. We could even go C with Ruiz or Cushenberry. I think we come out of round one with at least a QB and an Olineman, at 26 I think we'll take Dobbins, which is overdrafting but we won't want to miss out on him, I feel. So for round round one if we stay where we are, I think we will draft: Tua, Jones and Dobbins if they are available.

Last edited:
I felt that way when Hurts was with Alabama. There was such a dramatic difference when Tua took over there.

But I think he improved in Oklahoma. Granted, I think the coaching staff there did a good job of utilizing his strengths and limiting his weaknesses. Which is what good coaches do.

I don't know. There are certainly positives to work with. He's not the athlete that Lamar Jackson is (who is), but he's a plus athlete. NFL evaluators like his leadership and team attitude. His arm strength isn't bad.

I've read that his floor is Tyrod Taylor with some comparing him to Dak Prescott.

That could be worth a look if Miami misses on other quarterback targets.

A lot of things matter more than athleticism to the QB position, but most of the best QB's to enter the league since 2010 are great athletes - Newton, Luck, Wilson, Wentz, Mahomes, Watson are all at least very good athletes, and most are elite. Lamar Jackson didn't test, but I think most would agree that he would have tested elite. Josh Allen and Drew Lock have significant issues, but their physical tools have enabled them to make plays.

A smart coach will highlight the athleticism of guys like Hurts and Herbert. It's a weapon in the bag. That doesn't mean a ton of read/option. It means using play action, moving the pocket, getting the QB to the edge to put defenders in binds, etc.. It also means that when the D shuts down throwing lanes, the QB can still make critical plays with his legs.

Mekhi Becton
Derrick Brown
Wirfs
Isaah Simmons
Andrew Thomas
Henry Ruggs
Chaisson
Jeudy
Xavier Mckinney
Joe Burrow
Tua
Chase Young
Wills

Hopefully one of these is there at 18

Last edited:
I don’t think jalen hurts plays that test twitchy. And he misses way too many things be it throws or processing even for me to ever endorse it.

I’d be very disappointed if Miami burned a first 2 day pick on that.

As much as I love all the picks we have, I think it is so important to move up from 18 and get one of the big 4 OT's.

For me looking at our roster and who fits best, I would rank them like this:

With Tua - Wills Wirfs Becton Thomas

With Herbert/Love - Becton Wirfs Wills Thomas

I'm not sold on Josh Jones or Austin Jackson - and I don't want to half *** this rebuild
I could see Miami feeling the exact same way. Recent history shows us that good offensive tackles are drafted quickly.

Not sure how many have the potential to be instant starters. A trade up there makes sense, especially if Miami doesn't move up for a quarterback.

Chaisson is like high school prospect in the NBA draft. Very young, tons of athleticism and tantalizing upside. Just wish there was more to be seen. Basically, just one year.
I am so unsure on the pass rushers from this draft. Chaisson definitely jumps out in games as a playmaker, but he's been injury prone. Espenesa didn't score well on traits that measure explosion at the combine. At the very least, I think he'll be a good run stopper and edge setter. Does Miami gamble on a player like Chaisson at #18?

I have always maintained that I want my QB's best attribute to be throwing the ball.

I am all for using Hurts in a "slash" wildcat wr/rb role but he is not yet willing to go for that.

Back
Top Bottom