Targets at #18 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Targets at #18

Good original post SF-
I would add Chaisson as likely Top 20 given his athleticism and freakish bend.
Ruiz as a possible top 20 given lack of depth in FA and Draft at center spot.

Agree Jones or Jackson given the position and their ideal body types. They both have tremendous upside.
Personally, I wouldn't mind Jackson at #18 for Miami. I don't think it's a big stretch at that spot, as I've seen him rated somewhere in the 20's by different former scouts.

I am not a fan of this wide receiver class any longer, nor of the defensive backs. A lot of them did not test in categories. I do not have Lamb and Higgins and Jefferson on my radar any longer.

To me there are only 5 wide receivers worth drafting in this class with high certainty of production:
#1 wide receivers, boundary: Pittman Jr. and Denzel Mims
#2 wide receivers, jack of all trades: Jeudy and Ruggs
Claypool as #2 boundary wideout.

I would not be interested in anyone else. And I would rank them in the order of 40 times:

1. Ruggs
2. Mims
3. Claypool
4. Jeudy
5. Pittman

Last edited:
Ruiz is a legit option at 26. Really good player, young, good size and athleticism. He shouldn't have any issue anchoring. I'd prefer to get Cushenberry or Hennessy later, because I think both can be quality starters, but if Miamo went Tua, Thomas, Ruiz, I wouldn't be mad at all.

The way this particular draft breaks, if I didn't get Reagor at 18 or Jefferson at 26, I'd probably kick WR down to the 3rd Round. At 39, Mims and Ruggs will be gone, and the other guys I like a lot (Bryan Edwards and Tyler Johnson) should be there in the 3rd or 4th. I'd prefer to add one of Reagor, Jefferson, or Mims at 18 or 26, depending on what happens with the OT's, and then see if Edwards or Johnson make it to Day 3. Around that, there's still room to add OT's, a Safety, a C, and a RB.
Depends how things break- at #56 I would love to pickup one of top 5 RBs. The decision will come down to maneuvering the board between 39 and 56. I’m not adverse to trading a RD5 to get my player.
My goal is some combo of OT, C, RB, WR, FS
At #70 maybe a KJ Hill who I can plug in at Slot stater Day 1

Personally, I wouldn't mind Jackson at #18 for Miami. I don't think it's a big stretch at that spot, as I've seen him rated somewhere in the 20's by different former scouts.
I get your point but figure I can hold at #26 and take Jones, Jackson or Niang.
Keep in mind Jags, Vikes, Eagles, Saints are not taking an OT.

I get your point but figure I can hold at #26 and take Jones, Jackson or Niang.
Keep in mind Jags, Vikes, Eagles, Saints are not taking an OT.
Possibly, but you risk them not being there. When the run starts, which is going to be early for those top OT's, other teams can trade up as well.

If Miami ends up with Tua instead of Herbert or Love, then I think it will be easier to find that RT spot.

Possibly, but you risk them not being there. When the run starts, which is going to be early for those top OT's, other teams can trade up as well.

If Miami ends up with Tua instead of Herbert or Love, then I think it will be easier to find that RT spot.
Yep it’s definitely a need position. I wouldn’t mind moving up from 26 to 22-24 with a Rd 5. The key to winning the draft will be maneuvering the board given we have 18,26,39,56,70.
Use the Rd 5 picks to work the board.
End up with 5 starters. Exciting times!

Yep it’s definitely a need position. I wouldn’t mind moving up from 26 to 22-24 with a Rd 5. The key to winning the draft will be maneuvering the board given we have 18,26,39,56,70.
Use the Rd 5 picks to work the board.
End up with 5 starters. Exciting times!
Really, I think it depends on how Miami grades the offensive tackles. How many are legitimate NFL starters? Could be more than I think, in which case you can wait a little longer.

Agree with using picks wisely and trading up an down. Target 4-5 starters that you want and Miami has the draft capital to make it happen.

What's your view on Hurts? Personally, I think he's pretty close to Love. Obviously not the arm talent, but he has some nice skills to work with.

I could see Jackson and Jones going faster than expected, simply on the law of supply and demand. That OT position might be harder for Miami to fill than expected. A trade up is an option, but then you've got to factor in how much better a Thomas is than Jackson, plus an additional pick. Might take that #39 in addition to #18.

I have Hurts and Love in the same range but like Hurts better. Feel like there are enough offenses that fit his skillset, and while his slow trigger scares me, his overall ability and character are enough for me to like his chances. Love has the quicker trigger and bigger arm, but he's a lot more erratic, and his feet aren't particularly talented.

Hurts reminds me some of Prescott, in that both players were very efficient passers despite having some worrying tendencies and slow triggers. By protecting the ball, throwing accurately downfield, and using their legs to buy time and pick up 1st downs, they're able to compensate for some of the windows they see too late.

I would also bet on Hurts's character and ability to improve. I still think he comes with enough questions to keep him out of my Top 20, and I would guess the NFL will agree, but it just takes one team, and I do think he'll play well in an offense that uses a lot of play action and moves him around a lot.

I am not a fan of this wide receiver class any longer, nor of the defensive backs. A lot of them did not test in categories. I do not have Lamb and Higgins and Jefferson on my radar any longer.

To me there are only 5 wide receivers worth drafting in this class with high certainty of production:
#1 wide receivers, boundary: Pittman Jr. and Denzel Mims
#2 wide receivers, jack of all trades: Jeudy and Ruggs
Claypool as #2 boundary wideout.

I would not be interested in anyone else. And I would rank them in the order of 40 times:

1. Ruggs
2. Mims
3. Claypool
4. Jeudy
5. Pittman

This is like wanting to make sure a girl doesn't have any pimples on her butt before you date her.

I have Hurts and Love in the same range but like Hurts better. Feel like there are enough offenses that fit his skillset, and while his slow trigger scares me, his overall ability and character are enough for me to like his chances. Love has the quicker trigger and bigger arm, but he's a lot more erratic, and his feet aren't particularly talented.

Hurts reminds me some of Prescott, in that both players were very efficient passers despite having some worrying tendencies and slow triggers. By protecting the ball, throwing accurately downfield, and using their legs to buy time and pick up 1st downs, they're able to compensate for some of the windows they see too late.

I would also bet on Hurts's character and ability to improve. I still think he comes with enough questions to keep him out of my Top 20, and I would guess the NFL will agree, but it just takes one team, and I do think he'll play well in an offense that uses a lot of play action and moves him around a lot.

This is like wanting to make sure a girl doesn't have any pimples on her butt before you date her.
Good analysis. I like Hurts. I do think he needs the right system fit, but he's someone who should give a team a win on those quarterback sneaks and get out of the pocket when things break down.

Agree, he had areas to work on. Doesn't seem to use his eyes well and doesn't see the play develop as quickly as some others. Clearly, Alabama was a much better team with Tua as an example.

I like that Hurts was productive at two major colleges.

Do you think he'd fit with Miami now that Chan Gailey is offensive coordinator?

Good analysis. I like Hurts. I do think he needs the right system fit, but he's someone who should give a team a win on those quarterback sneaks and get out of the pocket when things break down.

Agree, he had areas to work on. Doesn't seem to use his eyes well and doesn't see the play develop as quickly as some others. Clearly, Alabama was a much better team with Tua as an example.

I like that Hurts was productive at two major colleges.

Do you think he'd fit with Miami now that Chan Gailey is offensive coordinator?

I do think he'd fit, but I'd hope Miami could get Tua. Tanking for an OT at 5 and Jalen Hurts at 18 or 26 would be less than ideal.

I do think he'd fit, but I'd hope Miami could get Tua. Tanking for an OT at 5 and Jalen Hurts at 18 or 26 would be less than ideal.
Totally agree. No question Alabama was next level with Tua. The difference there was easy to see from Hurts to Tua.

But if Washington really does take Tua, then we are comparing Herbert, Love and Hurts or waiting until 2021.

Hurts and Love to me are too rich in the top 20. Saying that, I realize quarterbacks get pushed up.

I am leaning Austin Jackson, just because I think he is the only LT worth drafting high and there won't be any left tackles worth drafting later.
I kind of feel the same way. Depends on who else is there, surprise players that drop etc.

But tanking for a 6-0 QB with injury issues is the way to go?

Always a risk.

But....
For the team that took the risk on a 6-foot QB with a shoulder injury issue.....the Saints are doing pretty well.
For the team that took the physically imposing QB with a big arm.....the Dolphins are still looking for a QB many years later.

Tua's hip scares the hell out of me. I won't lie about that. But Tua the QB is really freaking good. Take away the injury concerns and he goes #1.

Back
Top Bottom