Texas Vs Ohio State | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Texas Vs Ohio State

sean taylor ran for 45 TDs his senior year in high school. guess what? he's not a runningback. and guess what? vince young isn't a quarterback. young has no accuracy whatsoever. can't wait to see OSU destroy him :)

HysterikiLL said:
Heres a few stats for the doubters of Vince's passing ability. Just for those who make case that he is "the worst quarterback in recent years".

- #1 Prospect in the nation coming out of high school

You can't say someone was the #1 prospect coming out of HS unless ever single solitary rating system had him at #1...which I'm sure they didn't. Top 5 maybe, but not #1. BTW, how does this back up his passing ability?

HysterikiLL said:
- At Madison HS, in his junior and senior seasons combined -- completed 205-of-359 passes for 3, 854 yards and 51 TDs (only four INTs). Sure this is HS Football but an awful quarterback doesn't throw 51:4 at any level.

High school really has no bearing on his throwing ability against college players, much less in the NFL

HysterikiLL said:
- Most accurate passer in first two years starting in UT history. Ninteenth in NCAA history.

Probably because he only threw 379 passes...total! Oh and if we're bring up passing stats, lets talk about his 2003 QB rating of 82.2 and how it fell to 79.9 in 2004

HysterikiLL said:
- Has led Texas to points on 107-of-the-220 drives (49%) he has directed.

And i'm sure Cedric Benson had nothing to do with any of those drives did he?

HysterikiLL said:
- Averages 12.1 Yards per completion. Matt Leinart averages 12.3 despite having some of the top receivers at his disposal the last few years.

I'd like to know where you got this stat, because it's false. Last year he only averaged 7.4...

HysterikiLL said:
- Sure Leinart threw many more passes (in relation to INT point), but my point was that Young did not need to throw that many passes. He CAN run, and it seems because of that, people are drawn to make the common misjudgement that he can't pass well.

Once again, we aren't talking about his running ability. No one on here has said he couldn't run. Let me ask you this; if Vince Young couldn't run, say he was a pocket passer with the same arm, would he be playing QB for Texas? Or for any other school for that matter? Answer: No. He'd be lining up at WR or DB...like he will be in the NFL. (See Jammal Lords)

ima have to lean on with the Aggie here, hey man u guys will hand it to us this year in Norman. :cry:

AggieFin21 said:
Leinart: 18/24 332yds. 3-1
Young: 13/17 173yds. 3-1

Leinart had more completions that Young had passes. And yes, you're going to come back at me with "Well they are a different type of QB". Ok, I'll give you the fact that Young ran for 50yds. and another TD, but once again, we aren't talking about Young's running ability. That seems to be the only arguement for him being a "stud" QB. You never hear about Young's great passing ability. Why is that?

Actually, the ratio of Leinart's completions to Youngs passes have nothing to do with style. If you watched the game, you would have known Vince only took two snaps in the second half and was then taken out of the game.

Technically, if you double the stats Vince had at half time, he would've had far better passing numbers than Matt.

AggieFin21 said:
You can't say someone was the #1 prospect coming out of HS unless ever single solitary rating system had him at #1...which I'm sure they didn't. Top 5 maybe, but not #1. BTW, how does this back up his passing ability?

Actually, he was rated #1 overall by The Sporting News, Rivals.com, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Sports Digest and won the MVP in the All-American Bowl to top it off.

And this was in relation to whoever made the comment about him being the worst quarterback in recent years. The fact of the matter is that if he was so horrible of a quarterback, he just wouldn'tve garnered so much acolade.

AggieFin21 said:
High school really has no bearing on his throwing ability against college players, much less in the NFL

He was also without Collegiate receivers and blockers in high school..

AggieFin21 said:
Probably because he only threw 379 passes...total! Oh and if we're bring up passing stats, lets talk about his 2003 QB rating of 82.2 and how it fell to 79.9 in 2004

It doesn't matter how many passes he threw, a percent is an average, not a quantitative sum.

AggieFin21 said:
And i'm sure Cedric Benson had nothing to do with any of those drives did he?

What has that got to do with anything? OF COURSE Vince can't win the game by himself. He needs a team around him, but that goes without saying for ANY quarterback. The fact was that Vince was the quarterback on those drives, period. It doesn't really matter who did what, he was the guy working the cogs.

AggieFin21 said:
I'd like to know where you got this stat, because it's false. Last year he only averaged 7.4...

"has completed 232-of-393 passes (59.0%) for 3,004 yards" -- http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=106

EDIT: I'll take that one on the chin. I did the math wrong, but I used the same equation for Matt, so regardless of the 12 or 7 per completion, the margin between Matt and Vince is still the same. The point still stands valid.

AggieFin21 said:
Once again, we aren't talking about his running ability. No one on here has said he couldn't run. Let me ask you this; if Vince Young couldn't run, say he was a pocket passer with the same arm, would he be playing QB for Texas? Or for any other school for that matter? Answer: No. He'd be lining up at WR or DB...like he will be in the NFL. (See Jammal Lords)

Once again, you disregarded the fact that I made this a separate point. This specific point has NOTHING to do with his passing ability, but a mere illustration of why he doesn't have to pass the ball every down. :shakeno:

Ah, I love college hostility.

HysterikiLL said:
Actually, he was rated #1 overall by The Sporting News, Rivals.com, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Sports Digest and won the MVP in the All-American Bowl to top it off.

I stand corrected on this one. Well played.

HysterikiLL said:
He was also without Collegiate receivers and blockers in high school.

Don't play my own arguement against me...smart @$$...

HysterikiLL said:
It doesn't matter how many passes he threw, a percent is an average, not a quantitative sum.

How can you say that? If he threw more passes and continued his current level of play (which is not to say he wouldn't get better), don't you think his % would have gone down? I think so...

HysterikiLL said:
What has that got to do with anything? OF COURSE Vince can't win the game by himself. He needs a team around him, but that goes without saying for ANY quarterback. The fact was that Vince was the quarterback on those drives, period. It doesn't really matter who did what, he was the guy working the cogs.

Well then what's the point of this arguement? Then it's just the same as saying any QB leads his team to a TD drive whenever they score.

HysterikiLL said:
"has completed 232-of-393 passes (59.0%) for 3,004 yards" -- http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=106 -- You do the math.

YPA comes from all passes thrown, not just completed ones. Therefore you divide his total yds. (3,004) by total passes (393) and get 7.7 YPA. Check his career stats page and you'll see UT & Mack Brown think the same thing.

HysterikiLL said:
Ah, I love college hostility.

Me too, you stupid Longhorn....:D

all you gotta know about how QBs are ranked outta high school is that brock berlin was the #1 player in the country coming out of HS. nuff said...

HysterikiLL said:
It seems there are a lot more Buckeye fans here than Longhorn fans but I think most of us agree that this will be a very good game. I admit, Ginn Jr. is an everywhere man and I'm a big A.J. Hawk fan but Texas are going to kindly crush these guys into smitherines.

:) Where are my Texas people at?

Also, here is a great link giving a breakdown of the corps. http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/Preview/BigGameBreakdown_Texas_OhioState.htm
No matter who wins, crush will not be used in the headlines. Texas is on the road and they aren't playing La Lafayette.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Young in a Fins jersey next year. I like the "new" style of QB. The Michael Vick style QB!
The Michael Vick style QB....A QB who can't pass worth a crap but can run....no thanks!

LtDan said:
Hurricanes!!:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: ....0-1 they are ya hear!!

Well it's good that they get their only loss of the year out of the way early. Gives us plenty of time to rebound & climb the rankings in time for the Rose Bowl vs USC.

SMadison29 said:
Well it's good that they get their only loss of the year out of the way early. Gives us plenty of time to rebound & climb the rankings in time for the Rose Bowl vs USC.
The offense better pick it up or it won't be your only loss

LtDan said:
No matter who wins, crush will not be used in the headlines. Texas is on the road and they aren't playing La Lafayette.

It's going to be a great game either way. If not for two great teams, then for me, who will likely have to go into hiding if Vince Young doesn't throw a word-winning performance :lol: .

If Ohio State do win this game, I'll tip them to take it to USC at the end of the road, but both teams will still be in the hunt regardless of win.

Now back to the heated debate!

First up, I'll admit that Vince Young isn't god. Yet. The problem with Vince is that he's highly inconsistent. He can play very well one week and then the next week he'll bomb. It also has no real bearing of consistency on who he's playing -- He can be a stud against a good team and then flop against a horrible team. But he's still young, and I think people have been quick to close their minds before giving him a chance.

Now this season he's equipped with arguably the best Offensive Line in college football. Realistically, four of these guys could go in the draft. Scott and Blalock potentially in the first round. With these guts more developed, Vince should be given plenty of pocket time to assert his passes before choosing the run. Expect for passing on a more consistent basis and less running this season from Vince, IMO.

But last season was his Sophomore season. Aggie, sure -- He threw a 12:11 TD:INT ratio last season, but look at Reggie McNeal's sophomore season -- 8:7, ran fewer yards, poorer completion rating, sacked more times. Yet he went on to improve considerably in his Junior season. All I'm saying is expect that from Vince this season.

Boy I can't wait for this weekend. Phins opener and this great game. I can't wait to see A.J. Hawk try to penetrate that concrete O. Line. Lets hope he's the only A.J. we see this weekend ;)

Back
Top Bottom