The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 155 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread

Well add Papelbon and Schilling too to the injured list. I have never seen so many guys so down in short time. Hopefully Papelbon's injury isn't too serious, maybe getting all of those 6 out saves caught up to his young arm. Anyway hopefully he gets healthy fast.

I dont know if the 6 out saves have anything to do with it, wasnt he a starter coming up at one point? Im sure he is used to logging the innings up.

I hope he is treated correctly and recovers fast, cancer is never good

Alex44 said:
I dont know if the 6 out saves have anything to do with it, wasnt he a starter coming up at one point? Im sure he is used to logging the innings up.

Yes Papelbon was a starter the past couple of years but when you ask a guy to pitch almost 2 innings days in a row because no one in the pen can get an out it puts a lot of strain on the arm, no matter what. Just look at Rivera who's use to just pitching out of the pen. He's got a strained forearm and isn't going to pitch a lot from now to the playoffs. It could happen to any pitcher at any time.

And even though Papelbon has been a starter in the minors they babied him a lot and never let him throw a lot of innings so it's not like he's used to pitching a full 200 inning plus MLB season

Kyle Snyder looked pretty strong last night.. Could he be our new Bronson Arroyo..
\
\

Arroyo update.. 1-5 with an ERA over 5.00 since July 1st..

GreenMonster said:
Kyle Snyder looked pretty strong last night.. Could he be our new Bronson Arroyo..
\
\

Arroyo update.. 1-5 with an ERA over 5.00 since July 1st..

I wonder what those numbers would be if he wasn't pitching against Triple A teams all year?

Listen I love Arroyo but he's nothing more than a 4th pitcher at best. Yes he could have helped the Sox this year when they were throwing out Johnson, Synder, etc. But he wouldn't have been the difference between them being a playoff team or not.

Ray Finkle said:
I wonder what those numbers would be if he wasn't pitching against Triple A teams all year?

Listen I love Arroyo but he's nothing more than a 4th pitcher at best. Yes he could have helped the Sox this year when they were throwing out Johnson, Synder, etc. But he wouldn't have been the difference between them being a playoff team or not.

I don't have a Bronson Arroyo altar in my closet, but who would you prefer among Arroyo, Jason Johnson, Kason Gabbard, Kyle Snyder, Lenny DiNardo, or David Pauley?

I was impressed with the signing of Arroyo to such a friendly deal. A guy with a rubber arm who can start or relieve and pretty much be solid (hell, he can apparently hit a lick, too) for such a small price is a boon in today's MLB. Do the Red Sox make the playoffs with Arroyo? I don't know, but their staff would be that much better, which would put them that much closer.

RWhitney014 said:
I don't have a Bronson Arroyo altar in my closet, but who would you prefer among Arroyo, Jason Johnson, Kason Gabbard, Kyle Snyder, Lenny DiNardo, or David Pauley?

I was impressed with the signing of Arroyo to such a friendly deal. A guy with a rubber arm who can start or relieve and pretty much be solid (hell, he can apparently hit a lick, too) for such a small price is a boon in today's MLB. Do the Red Sox make the playoffs with Arroyo? I don't know, but their staff would be that much better, which would put them that much closer.

Arroyo is no question better than the names mentioned above but he is what he is. A 4th starter at best. Arroyo isn't the difference between the Sox making the playoffs or not this year especially with all the injuries the Sox had to deal with the past few weeks. If Arroyo was with the Sox he'd probably be 10 and 8 with an ERA of 4.50. Sure the Sox would maybe be 2 games closer to the Yankees and a game closer in the WC but what difference would it make? At the beginning of the year Arroyo was 7th on the rotation depth list behind Schilling, Beckett, Wakefield, Wells, Clement, and Papelbon. Maybe the Sox should have took injuries into consideration and the closer's role but I didn't have a problem with the trade in March nor do I have a problem with it now. People are clearly overrating Arroyo.

Again people fail to see how Wily Mo Pena helped carry the Sox in the beginning of the season with Ortiz when no one else was really hitting and always in late July when the team started to die. People knocked Pena because he strikes out a ton and couldn't get a base but he's having a career high in both BA (.300) and OBP (.345) which is over 30 points from his career OBP. Clearly having Ron Jackson, Sox hitting coach, along with Ortiz is helping out this young powerhouse. If Wily Mo didn't break his wrist diving for a fly ball he would probably have close to 30 home runs. People forget that this Sox trade was for the future not just one year. Wily Mo is still a work in progess and although he strikes out a ton (most power hitters do anyway so it's not a big deal) he's eye at the plate has improved much much better. At the beginning of the year I posted comparisons between Ortiz at 24 and Pena with this BA, HRs and OBP and the numbers were pretty similar. I'm not saying Pena will become the next Ortiz but it was worth noting. Again the guy is only 24 years old not everyone at 24 can be Pujols, Wright or Cabrera.

The Red Sox made the right move trading Arroyo IMO, you can easily replace a #4 pitcher in the offseason, but how often do you get a young player with a huge bat and lots of potential?

It's tougher to find a fourth starter with a rubber arm nowadays then it is to find a power hitting outfielder who strikes out a lot but that's just my opinion!

Alex44 said:
The Red Sox made the right move trading Arroyo IMO, you can easily replace a #4 pitcher in the offseason, but how often do you get a young player with a huge bat and lots of potential?

The biggest problem in the Red Sox farm system right now is an OF with power. Wily Mo is that guy. If he wasn't signed to a major league contract by the Yankees and rushed to the big leagues by the Reds he'd still be in the minors because the guy does need some work. Plus who's going to play RF next year when the Sox (hopefully) don't resign Nixon? Oh they have Wily Mo now. It was made for the future not just a 1 year move.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
It's tougher to find a fourth starter with a rubber arm nowadays then it is to find a power hitting outfielder who strikes out a lot but that's just my opinion!

It is tougher to find pitching than hitting that's true. But the majority power hitting outfielders, and power hitters in general, strike out a lot so it's not that big of a deal. Again Wily Mo is learning how to hit and use the strike zone instead of going up at the plate and swinging at everything, this year is proof based on his BA and OBP.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:

I agree, especially when you've got the wallets the Red Sox have. And lord forbid they have a spot for a guy like David Murphy to take when he comes up for good.

Seriously, there are tons of power-hitting OFs coming up in this FA market, marquee guys like Carlos Lee and Alfonso Soriano to solid vets like Shannon Stewart and Cliff Floyd to under-the-radar guys like David Dellucci and Jose Guillen.

RWhitney014 said:
I agree, especially when you've got the wallets the Red Sox have. And lord forbid they have a spot for a guy like David Murphy to take when he comes up for good.

Seriously, there are tons of power-hitting OFs coming up in this FA market, marquee guys like Carlos Lee and Alfonso Soriano to solid vets like Shannon Stewart and Cliff Floyd to under-the-radar guys like David Dellucci and Jose Guillen.

Let Murphy play before you kill him. He's had 1 MLB game under his belt, who knows what he can do. People killed Melky Cabrera after a weekend (me included) and now look at what he's doing. Baseball is a funny game. Plus Murphy might be the Marlins' CFer next year (as rumors had been going around).

The other guys you named I'd stay way away from them. Soriano is a very good hitter, a top hitter, but the other guys like Carlos Lee, Shannon Stewart, Cliff Floyd? No thank you, I'll stick with Wily Mo and Murphy.

Ray Finkle said:
The biggest problem in the Red Sox farm system right now is an OF with power. Wily Mo is that guy. If he wasn't signed to a major league contract by the Yankees and rushed to the big leagues by the Reds he'd still be in the minors because the guy does need some work. Plus who's going to play RF next year when the Sox (hopefully) don't resign Nixon? Oh they have Wily Mo now. It was made for the future not just a 1 year move.

Agreed, the Sox knew what you getting with Arroyo and with Wily Mo it could be much much more..

Dear god I wouldn't resign Nixon for 1 million bucks.. Always hurt, not a #5 hitter, not worth half of what he will ask for..

GreenMonster said:
Agreed, the Sox knew what you getting with Arroyo and with Wily Mo it could be much much more..

Dear god I wouldn't resign Nixon for 1 million bucks.. Always hurt, not a #5 hitter, not worth half of what he will ask for..

It's crazy how all non-Sox fans are killing the Sox for the Arroyo/Pena deal. It's like we never saw Arroyo pitch in the past 3 years with the Sox and the people killing the deal have just seen him pitch the first 2 months of the 2006 season with the Reds.

Unbelieveble.

Back
Top Bottom