The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 154 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread

Ray Finkle said:
The season ended yesterday for the Red Sox, granted they were out of it for weeks before. Whatever happens between now and Oct for the Sox doesn't matter to me. What matters is the long term health for both Ortiz and Lester, not just baseball wise but everyday wise for them.

Even though Papi kills the Yankees I am glad everything checked out OK with him and he should be back in your line-up by next week. I don't take any joy in seeing players have heart problems or anything of the sort, so I'm glad he's checked out OK and can resume not only a normal life but his baseball season/career!

My thought are with Lester. Regardless whether he has cancer or not it must be a scare just to have that word brought up during a stay in the hospital. I hope everything works out for him OK also and that he goes on to have the career he was on the road to having before this scare (we can only hope it's just that)!

Wells has been traded. He's cleaning out his locker now. No word on which team but all signs point to SD for their catching prospect.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Even though Papi kills the Yankees I am glad everything checked out OK with him and he should be back in your line-up by next week. I don't take any joy in seeing players have heart problems or anything of the sort, so I'm glad he's checked out OK and can resume not only a normal life but his baseball season/career!

My thought are with Lester. Regardless whether he has cancer or not it must be a scare just to have that word brought up during a stay in the hospital. I hope everything works out for him OK also and that he goes on to have the career he was on the road to having before this scare (we can only hope it's just that)!

I agree. I never take pleasure in any player on any team getting hurt, whether its a broken bone or worse. Hopefully both guys will be ok. There is talk Ortiz will play as early as Saturday.

Ray Finkle said:
Can this year just be over yet?

According to the Boston Herald, Jon Lester has been undergoing an array of exams in Boston for internal medical issues, including cancer.

Now it's past the point at which even we can joke about Boston's injury situation. The Red Sox can't discuss it, but Lester was diagnosed with enlarged lymph nodes, according to the Herald's sources. Such a symptom can be caused by an array of issues, from infections to cancer. The Red Sox had hoped his upper back issues were a minor problem caused by a recent car accident.

Hopefully this is nothing. A 22 year old kid should not have to have cancer. Thoughts and prayers are with him.

Jesus.

Hopefully it is just like a strep throat or something.

"According to ESPNews, David Wells has been traded to the Padres.

Catching George Kottaras has been involved in the Wells rumors, but as of yet, there's been no word about what the Red Sox are getting in return."

Kottaras is a 22 year old catcher, SD's 2nd best prospect. Good trade if he's involved in the deal. Catching is one of the Sox weakness in the minors, so maybe he's the future of the Sox.
pixel-1.gif
pixel-1.gif
pixel-1.gif
left_corner_bt_player_news-1.gif
pixel-1.gif

George Kottaras it is.. Good deal for the Sox we get something for basically nothing since Wells wasn't gonna be in our plans next year.. Guy isn't hitting at triple A yet, but has been ranked by some ahead of Barfield.. I like this move to replace Shoppach who has only been ok himself in 80+ AB's for the Tribe..

FinsNYanksFan13 said:

Hmmm... let's see no Ortiz, Manny, V-tek, Wily Mo, Lester, Nixon, Wells and in their place Hinske, Carlos Pena, Javy Lopez (both of them), a bunch of Double A players, Kyle Synder, etc.

That's the reason why the towel is thrown in. The Red Sox don't have the pitching but reguardless even if they did they still couldn't win with the line up they have without Manny and Ortiz.

Right now the only thing cheaper at Fenway Park then a ticket is a David Wells jeresy.

Update on Jon Lester:

Jon Lester has been diagnosed with a treatable form of anaplastic large cell lymphoma and will begin treatment within the coming week.

Here's the link: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/09/lester_update_1.html

Jon is in my thoughts and prayers, hopefully everything turns out alright and he gets healthy fast. I really like this kid, such a shame. But the key is it's treatable so that's good news at least. And it was caught early.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Excellent news on Lester.

It's treatable and he's at MGH, one of the best hospitals in the world. They'll take good care of him.

thats good to hear.

MKeveny said:
thats good to hear.

Yeah, its excellent to hear that it can be treated. However, it's still just a terrible situation.. he's only 22 years old. Him and his family will be in my prayers.

And the news just continues to get worse...

Jonathan Papelbon had to leave the game tonight after throwing 11 pitches due to pain in his right shoulder. The injury definitely didn't look good, you could see him immediately in pain after throwing the pitch. I'm sure we'll know alot more about the situation tomorrow after he's closely examined, but even Tito let on that it was serious while adressing the media after the game.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Excellent news on Lester.

It's treatable and he's at MGH, one of the best hospitals in the world. They'll take good care of him.

I agree with the second part, but a diagnosis of cancer in any way, shape, or form is not excellent news. I know you're not trying to minimize the situation. I just hope he recovers and can continue his career. A friend of mine is 17 and has had cancer three separate times. She is a living inspiration, and if she can get through it, I know Lester can. Every baseball fan is rooting for him now.

Secondly, on Kottaras, you guys got a great deal. Wells truly is in the twilight of his career, and at 43 does not factor into any future plans. Kottaras is a very good receiver who happens to get on base at about a .380 clip for his career in the minors. Some power should develop...you guys picked up for successor for Varitek for a 43 year-old, beer-bellied wash-up. I'd say it's a good deal.

RWhitney014 said:
I agree with the second part, but a diagnosis of cancer in any way, shape, or form is not excellent news.

Yeah I should have probably clarified that, my mistake.. the excellent news was in reference to the fact that it's treatable. Obviously being diagnosed with cancer (especially at his age) is tragic.

Back
Top Bottom