The 2006 Tampa Bay Devil Rays Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2006 Tampa Bay Devil Rays Thread

Hey if the D-Rays ever got good pitching other than Kazmir and possibly Edwin Jackson and their rookie closer Osvella (spelling?) they would ve very tough to beat. I love their young players like Crawford, Cantu and Gomez. I think Delmon Young a lot.

Their main knock has to be their front office. They always seem like they don't have a clue. Not trading Lugo for Marte was puzzling. If I were Tampa Bay I would trade Huff and some of their other veterans like Lguo for a couple of nice prospects kind of like what the Marlins are doing now. Tampa Bay won't be able to get the big name Free Agents because of the money the Sox, Yankees, Jays and O's spend, but if they can build up their farm and keep developing their talent they can be a very good team in a few years.

Ray Finkle said:
Hey if the D-Rays ever got good pitching other than Kazmir and possibly Edwin Jackson and their rookie closer Osvella (spelling?) they would ve very tough to beat. I love their young players like Crawford, Cantu and Gomez. I think Delmon Young a lot.

Their main knock has to be their front office. They always seem like they don't have a clue. Not trading Lugo for Marte was puzzling. If I were Tampa Bay I would trade Huff and some of their other veterans like Lguo for a couple of nice prospects kind of like what the Marlins are doing now. Tampa Bay won't be able to get the big name Free Agents because of the money the Sox, Yankees, Jays and O's spend, but if they can build up their farm and keep developing their talent they can be a very good team in a few years.

Its Orvella and Gomes.

But yea, Edwin Jackson had a couple dominate outings in spring, he also got lit up once. I like him as another good arm to go with Kazmir though.

Yea our Front office has had problems in the past with trades and signings. We are headed in the right direction though. As far as trading Lugo for Marte. there are mixed reports out there, some are reporting that Lugo for Marte was never entertained by the Braves(because they wanted Renteria), or the Sox(because they wanted Crisp. There is also reports it was only a matter of time before his elbow would require Tommy John surgery, which isnt horrible for a hitter, but still another bump in the road for young kid.

Its only a matter of time before Lugo and Huff are traded to make room for BJ and Delmon. I hope we trade them for a quality big leaguer and not a prospect. We have to many prospects already.

Nappy Roots said:
Its Orvella and Gomes.

But yea, Edwin Jackson had a couple dominate outings in spring, he also got lit up once. I like him as another good arm to go with Kazmir though.

Yea our Front office has had problems in the past with trades and signings. We are headed in the right direction though. As far as trading Lugo for Marte. there are mixed reports out there, some are reporting that Lugo for Marte was never entertained by the Braves(because they wanted Renteria), or the Sox(because they wanted Crisp. There is also reports it was only a matter of time before his elbow would require Tommy John surgery, which isnt horrible for a hitter, but still another bump in the road for young kid.

Its only a matter of time before Lugo and Huff are traded to make room for BJ and Delmon. I hope we trade them for a quality big leaguer and not a prospect. We have to many prospects already.

My fault on the spellings. I knew it was Gomes but I put the z on the end for some reason.

I think the Rays do have a good future, they have a very good line up. I think the Rays could get some quality players for Huff and Lugo especially in July at the trading deadline. I think the only way for the Rays to be competitive agains the rest of the AL is to build up their farm because unless they totally outspend for a player they will have a tough time getting the above average to great free agents to sign there (at least for the time being).

BTW, some good news. In todays ST game agaisnt the Pirates, Edwin Jackson started for the fourth time this spring.

his line - 5 IP 1 Hits 2 BB 4 Ks 0 Runs

his stats this spring - 4 starts - 13.1 IP 7 hits 6 runs(all coming in 1 bad start) 5 BBs 9 Ks

Nappy Roots said:
BTW, some good news. In todays ST game agaisnt the Pirates, Edwin Jackson started for the fourth time this spring.

his stats this spring - 4 starts - 13.1 IP 7 hits 6 runs(all coming in 1 bad start) 5 BBs 9 Ks

I saw Jackson pitch 2 years ago in the minors when he was with the Dodgers, the kid was lights out. I am very surprised he hasn't pitched well in the majors when he got the chance but he does have a ton of potential still. Him and Kazmir couldbe a good 1-2 combo for years to come.

Ray Finkle said:
My fault on the spellings. I knew it was Gomes but I put the z on the end for some reason.

I think the Rays do have a good future, they have a very good line up. I think the Rays could get some quality players for Huff and Lugo especially in July at the trading deadline. I think the only way for the Rays to be competitive agains the rest of the AL is to build up their farm because unless they totally outspend for a player they will have a tough time getting the above average to great free agents to sign there (at least for the time being).

while i agree we wont be able to get top free agents, we have the farm system, and tradeable pieces to aquire good major league players. With Kazmir, Jackson probably in the rotation this year, we have 2 very good starters on their way for the 2007 season. Jeff Neiman(if he can stay healthy), and Jason Hammel. pair that with a guy in Seth McClung who i think will have a break out year this year, and we should have 5 quality, young arms, who can throw 95, and be good pitchers.

people may laugh, but if we dont screw stuff up, we SHOULD be competeing for a wild card spot in 07.

Nappy Roots said:
while i agree we wont be able to get top free agents, we have the farm system, and tradeable pieces to aquire good major league players. With Kazmir, Jackson probably in the rotation this year, we have 2 very good starters on their way for the 2007 season. Jeff Neiman(if he can stay healthy), and Jason Hammel. pair that with a guy in Seth McClung who i think will have a break out year this year, and we should have 5 quality, young arms, who can throw 95, and be good pitchers.

people may laugh, but if we dont screw stuff up, we SHOULD be competeing for a wild card spot in 07.

I forgot about McClung. That kid can throw the baseball. Hey count on as one of the non-Devil Ray fans to not laughing at the D-Rays being good and competing for a wild card spot. I think they have the line up to do it, once their young pitchers learn how to pitch at a major league level they could be very very good. Hell I might even say that the Rays could end the season in 4th place this year beating out the O's. A lot of people underestimate the Rays but it's not like they're a bad team like the Royals. They just have a bunch of kids learning how to play in the major leagues.

Ray Finkle said:
I forgot about McClung. That kid can throw the baseball. Hey count on as one of the non-Devil Ray fans to not laughing at the D-Rays being good and competing for a wild card spot. I think they have the line up to do it, once their young pitchers learn how to pitch at a major league level they could be very very good. Hell I might even say that the Rays could end the season in 4th place this year beating out the O's. A lot of people underestimate the Rays but it's not like they're a bad team like the Royals. They just have a bunch of kids learning how to play in the major leagues.

yea, the Rays get a bad rap like they are one the worst team in the bigs or something. Even last year when we lost 95 games. we were .500 at home. just shows how young we are, its tough for 7 22 year olds to go to Yankee stadium, Fenway park, etc.

Nappy Roots said:

Nice! Come on kid, we need ya!

Nappy Roots said:
yea, the Rays get a bad rap like they are one the worst team in the bigs or something. Even last year when we lost 95 games. we were .500 at home. just shows how young we are, its tough for 7 22 year olds to go to Yankee stadium, Fenway park, etc.

Didn't we have the best second half out of any ball club?

culpepper2chambers said:
idk............ im really bored...but devil rays should be pretty good....battle for fourth between orioles and rays.

At this point I'm hoping for a .500+ season. I really think it's doable.

Back
Top Bottom