The 2006 Tampa Bay Devil Rays Thread | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2006 Tampa Bay Devil Rays Thread

Some bad news in todays ST game.

Devil Rays pitcher Shinji Mori suffered a dislocated right shoulder during a Monday outing at the team's Minor League complex

Mori had been nursing a sore right shoulder since being scratched from his first outing of the spring on March 3. He was making his first appearance in a game and had just delivered his third pitch when he fell to the ground in pain.

"Shinji dislocated his shoulder on the pitch, and they took him out, " said Devil Rays manager Joe Maddon. "I guess it eventually popped back in."
Mori will have an MRI to examine the extent of the damage.

In January, Tampa Bay signed Mori to a two-year deal, worth approximately $1.5 million, with a club option for another two years.

The 31-year-old right-hander arrived in camp as one of the favorites to fill the closer role left vacant by the trade of Danys Baez to the Dodgers.
Mori's chances of opening the season as the team's closer now seem finished. The closing duties likely will come down to a committee that includes Chad Orvella, Chad Harville, Shawn Camp, Jesus Colome and Dan Miceli.

And a update to this story is worse

appears hes out for the year with a serious injury that usually forces pitchers to retire from. a shame. we finally do something in Free agency and he never even pitches an inning in ST for us. Our bullpen may be in some trouble right now. :boohoo:

A season-ending injury to reliever Shinji Mori tempered Tampa Bay’s optimism about Edwin Jackson’s strong outing.

Mori’s spring debut ended Monday when he tore the labrum in his right shoulder on his third pitch in a minor league game. A five-time All-Star with the Seibu Lions of Japan’s Pacific League, Mori signed a $1.4 million, two-year contract with the Devil Rays in January. He had been sidelined since the beginning of March because of soreness in his pitching shoulder.

‘‘It’s definitely frustrating. He was someone we were looking to to give us a different look out of the bullpen,’’ Devil Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman said.

‘‘Pitchers experience injuries all the time. It’s part of our business and a risk that we have to weigh in signing any pitcher. I’m confident he’s going to work hard and rehab hard to get back fully healthy. I think we’ll see him pitch in a Devil Rays uniform.’’

Mori said through a translator that it felt like he dislocated his shoulder when he threw the pitch. An MRI determined the labrum was torn, and Friedman said it’s an injury that typically sidelines a player for at least 12 months.

‘‘They diagnosed it as an acute injury, something that happened on that pitch,’’ Friedman said.

Mori said the injury was unrelated to the soreness that kept him out of spring training games.

‘‘It’s two totally different things,’’ he said. ‘‘There was nothing wrong until I got injured.’’

King Nate said:
How good was he, Nappy?

no one knows, hes never pitched in the Majors. But he would of made the team, which means he was better than a reliever that will make it now.

Nappy Roots said:
no one knows, hes never pitched in the Majors. But he would of made the team, which means he was better than a reliever that will make it now.

That's a shame. :boohoo:

Nappy Roots said:
fight? what happend, i missed it.

Red Sox were playing the Rays yesterday and Julian Taveras was pitching and hit Joey Gatheright. Later in the inning, Joey was running home and Taveras was covering the plate Joey spiked Taveras so Taveras got mad and punched him right in the face. Here are some pictures:

BDD_jt_fight_327_a-1.jpg

BDD_jt_fight_327-1.jpg

Here's a blog from Edes on the fight:
"Gathright placed his hand on Tavarez's left knee and attempted to push it away, at which point Tavarez ****ed his right fist. Gathright was still on one knee when Tavarez threw a roundhouse right, catching Gathright in the area of his chin and knocking his batting helmet off. Tavarez can then be seen pulling back his arm and throwing another punch, which appeared to glance off Gathright's shoulder... "-- Gordon Edes, Extra Bases

My opinion is that Taveras is a first class headcase and idioit. Stupid thing to do even if he is on my team.

Back
Top Bottom