The 2007 Mets Thread | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2007 Mets Thread

reguardless of him bein a pain in the butt, i still want him on our staff.

And here's some pieces of one on Milledge from the NY Times...it loks like Lastings was busting his tail this offseason. Thats good news for those of us who arent in the Shawn Green fan club....which is most met fans.

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla., Feb. 19 — Willie Randolph eyed the 20 or so reporters encircling him in the dugout and, with a sigh, prepared for what he considered inevitable.

“Come on, give me the first Milledge negative question,” Randolph said. “Come on, throw it at me. I know you can’t wait.”

Milledge showed up looking great. He had packed on 13 pounds of muscle after lifting weights and giving up red meat, and he said all the right things. The Mets had asked Milledge to play winter ball, but they eventually reached an understanding that it might be better if he rested. He seems committed to work hard and challenge Shawn Green for the right fielder’s job. He resolved to take more responsibility for his actions.

“When you’re young, you don’t know what’s out there,” Milledge said. “You don’t know how to handle certain things. I learned about being a man.”

Some notes from the NY Times blog: http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/mets/

"The most intense 15 minutes of the morning came during live batting practice, when Ambiorix Burgos faced the quartet of Lastings Milledge, Ben Johnson, Damion Easley and Endy Chavez.
In a match-up of the best bat speed vs. the hardest fastball, Milledge led off against Burgos. He broke his bat on a high-90s fastball. “Cheese!†Milledge said.
The next pitch, Milledge got jammed and hit a weak grounder toward second base. Even wearing batting gloves, Milledge needed another minute or so for his hands to recover before stepping back in. No one else put a ball in play against Burgos until Milledge’s next time up, when he roped a liner into left field. On Easley’s second go-through, he hit a weak grounder.
There were times when Burgos signaled that he was throwing a fastball, but still, no one could hit it."

"Philip Humber spent about six weeks with top outfield prospect Carlos Gomez at Class AA Binghamton last season and came away thinking that “aside from Jose Reyes, he’s the best athlete I’ve ever seen.â€Â
“He’d do something every day that would make your jaw drop,†Humber said. “Whether it was an unbelievable throw or stealing a base he had no business stealing. It was incredible.â€Â
After a slow start at Binghamton, Gomez surged with an 18-game hitting streak in July, when he batted .441, to finish the season hitting .281. For the season, He batted .421 with runners in scoring position and finished second in the Eastern League with 41 steals.
The 21-year-old Gomez found another way to impress Humber on Tuesday during the vertical leap portion of the physical exam. Humber’s was a rather respectable 33 inches. Gomez reached 37."

And here's some pieces of one on Milledge from the NY Times...it loks like Lastings was busting his tail this offseason. Thats good news for those of us who arent in the Shawn Green fan club....which is most met fans.

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla., Feb. 19  Willie Randolph eyed the 20 or so reporters encircling him in the dugout and, with a sigh, prepared for what he considered inevitable.

“Come on, give me the first Milledge negative question,†Randolph said. “Come on, throw it at me. I know you can’t wait.â€Â

Milledge showed up looking great. He had packed on 13 pounds of muscle after lifting weights and giving up red meat, and he said all the right things. The Mets had asked Milledge to play winter ball, but they eventually reached an understanding that it might be better if he rested. He seems committed to work hard and challenge Shawn Green for the right fielder’s job. He resolved to take more responsibility for his actions.

“When you’re young, you don’t know what’s out there,†Milledge said. “You don’t know how to handle certain things. I learned about being a man.â€Â

Given Willie's love for veterans, Green will get every chance to win that job. But man, I really hope Milledge is ready to take it from him. Green is so slow that he's practically growing roots in right field. With Green in RF and Alou in LF, Beltran's going to have to cover a TON of ground.

(Man, that Cameron for Nady trade just looks worse every day.)

Given Willie's love for veterans, Green will get every chance to win that job. But man, I really hope Milledge is ready to take it from him. Green is so slow that he's practically growing roots in right field. With Green in RF and Alou in LF, Beltran's going to have to cover a TON of ground.

Maybe not the Nady for Oliver Perez trade though.

Cant agree wih you on nady/cameron. Nady kills lefties and that hurt us down the stretch. Then dealing Nady we got Hernandez and Perez who were instrumental down the stretch. Cameron is overrated trash. All his Hr's are solo's with the team down by 3 or more runs. I loved the Nady Cameron trade since nady is a better player at a fraction of the cost and I like it more every day.

Milledge is going to have to earn that spot and i hope he does cause I cant stand green. He and alou were the 2 worst in zone rating in the entire NL but at least alou can hit. He kills LHP and actually was having one of his better years last year...

Maybe not the Nady for Oliver Perez trade though.

No, that I don't regret.

Boik14 said:
Cant agree wih you on nady/cameron. Nady kills lefties and that hurt us down the stretch. Then dealing Nady we got Hernandez and Perez who were instrumental down the stretch. Cameron is overrated trash. All his Hr's are solo's with the team down by 3 or more runs. I loved the Nady Cameron trade since nady is a better player at a fraction of the cost and I like it more every day.

Milledge is going to have to earn that spot and i hope he does cause I cant stand green. He and alou were the 2 worst in zone rating in the entire NL but at least alou can hit. He kills LHP and actually was having one of his better years last year...

Here's the problem though: Nady was white-hot for the first 6 weeks, and then fell off a cliff. Fact is, he's a subpar hitter (for a corner OF/1B) whose only real value is that he can play all three OF positions and 1B (once upon a time, he could play 3B, but that skill appears to be gone). If he's an everyday starter, as opposed to a supersub, he's a liability. His best use would have been subbing for Delgado against tough lefties and platooning with Green in RF and replacing him for defensive purposes late in the game. Of course, Green was acquired after Nady was traded, but that's besides the point.

As for Cameron, a look at his stats shows that you're incorrect. Over the last three years, his OPS is .819 (nearly identical left/right splits). With runners on, it goes up to .863. With men on and 2 out, it's .868. With runners in scoring position, it jumps to .873. And with runners in scoring position and 2 out, it's .879.

So he gets better with runners on, and better still with runners on and 2 out.

Cameron's excellent range would have allowed Beltran to shade more toward LF and help Alou, and as for money, at $7M, he's cheaper than Alou and Green. Moreover, while he may not slaughter left handed pitching like Alou does, he's a balanced enough player to stay in the lineup regularly. Nady only looked better during his hot start to the season. Aside from that, Cameron's a better hitter by any measure.

No, that I don't regret.

Here's the problem though: Nady was white-hot for the first 6 weeks, and then fell off a cliff. Fact is, he's a subpar hitter (for a corner OF/1B) whose only real value is that he can play all three OF positions and 1B (once upon a time, he could play 3B, but that skill appears to be gone). If he's an everyday starter, as opposed to a supersub, he's a liability. His best use would have been subbing for Delgado against tough lefties and platooning with Green in RF and replacing him for defensive purposes late in the game. Of course, Green was acquired after Nady was traded, but that's besides the point.

As for Cameron, a look at his stats shows that you're incorrect. Over the last three years, his OPS is .819 (nearly identical left/right splits). With runners on, it goes up to .863. With men on and 2 out, it's .868. With runners in scoring position, it jumps to .873. And with runners in scoring position and 2 out, it's .879.

So he gets better with runners on, and better still with runners on and 2 out.

Cameron's excellent range would have allowed Beltran to shade more toward LF and help Alou, and as for money, at $7M, he's cheaper than Alou and Green. Moreover, while he may not slaughter left handed pitching like Alou does, he's a balanced enough player to stay in the lineup regularly. Nady only looked better during his hot start to the season. Aside from that, Cameron's a better hitter by any measure.
Actually hes less expensive then green cause we're only paying 5.5 of green's 9m this year cause zona is kickin in money.

You talk aboy Cameron's OPS but i wasnt referring to his OPS. I said all his homers seem to come in situations where its down by 3 runs or more...i cant find the stat to bear this out but id bet a nice some of money its over 40%.

As far as Cameron's stats you bring up the good well heres the bad:
Hes a career k per game player.
250 BA is about his standard
career 342 obp/789 ops nothing great.
His career OBP puts him to low to bat leadoff so hes really by default a 7/8 hitter whereas nady being a better contact guy and a better rbi guy is a better 6/7 hitter...
One anaomaly I noticed with Cameron: He always has his best year in his first year in a new place. His first season with CWS, Seattle, NYM were his best. TBD: SD. Cincy he only played 1 year there.

Nady presented a better upside at a fraction of the cost. Cameron was also coming off an injury. Theres not an ounce of legitimacy that Cameron is a betetr offensive player because you cant judge him as a CF with Beltran already playing there. Hes got to be judged as a corner OF cause thats where he was playing with NYM.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3331

http://blogs.nydailynews.com/mets/

David Wright slugs it out with Jimmy Rollins...this could get ugly for teh Phils folks...

“If that’s Jimmy’s way of motivating the team, then that’s his choice,” David Wright said. “That’s something you’re not going to find around here. We don’t need any motivation. We go out there and we’re going to take care of business. We have the type of veteran leadership that isn’t going to talk about it. We’re going to go out there and back it up.”

Wagner working on a splitter: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/ar...d=1810275&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym

The good side of this is just think how many of those 1300 pitches were 96-98 mph fastballs...I think its a good thing Wagners adding another pitch to his repitiore as long as he has confidence when throwing it and can command it well enough get it over the plate consistenly then it should really help his arm strength and get to October without getting tired like he said he did last season.

There can be little doubt how much this pitch has done already for many HOF pitchers so we'll see if it can have the same effect for wagner by this time next year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastball

"Wagner is working on developing a split-finger fastball, a pitch designed to complement his normal four-seam fastball and, more to the point, enable him to reach the end of the season -- whenever that might be -- with fuel still in his tank.

When Wagner told Peterson that he wanted to get back to being the old Billy, Peterson suggested developing a two-seam fastball to give hitters a different, sinking look.

Wagner worked with that suggestion during the offseason, his index and middle fingers aligning with the stitches on either side of the ball's sweet spot.

He had thrown 1,242 pitches in 70 regular-season appearances before facing the Dodgers in the National League Division Series, and by the time he took on the Cardinals, Wagner had thrown another 58 -- 1,300 pitches for No. 13, more than he had thrown in all but one his previous 10 seasons.

His experimental pitchers sunk, as desired.

But when Wagner almost inadvertently spread his fingers wider, a sharper break resulted from the modified split.

"It's not a great, big break," Wagner said on Wednesday, after completing the first official full-team workout.

That made the new pitch an official part of Wagner's second Mets camp.

"It's not like some of the big ones," he said. "But I've been working on it in side seasons, and it's been pretty good. It's something different for me, and I pretty much know where it's going."

"I wanted something I could throw early in the count and maybe get a ground ball and maybe throw a few less pitches," Wagner said. "I'm getting too old to be just throwing full-bore all the time.

"But don't worry -- I'll get it up there."

Omar on Fernando Martinez and Carlos :http://blogs.nydailynews.com/mets/

On Martinez:

Is the fact he's doing it at 18 more impressive?

"You’re talking about a kid that would be a senior in high school right now. Maybe even a junior. To be able to do what he’s doing – his hitting ability, just how he handles himself as a person, maturity, he’s a special player."

Will he start in Double-A?

"We’ll see how he goes. He’ll try to make the Double-A team. We weren’t afraid to challenge him last year. We won’t be afraid to challenge him this year."

Will he and Gomez mostly play center field in the minors this year, or would you move them to the corners in preparation for their likely role in the majors?

"It doesn’t matter. They might rotate. They might play center field. We did that with Juan Gonzalez and Sammy Sosa. They played center field and then we switched them around."

On Gomez:

What strikes you about him?

"You’re talking about a player that has great physical ability. He’s got speed. He’s got an arm. He’s got youth. He’s aggressive. He plays the game in a style that I like to think the Mets are about – we’re about stealing bases and aggressive baseball."

Do you see him as a leadoff hitter?

"I don’t know. I couldn’t tell you he’s going to be that. Just because he has speed, that doesn’t mean he’s a leadoff hitter. He has power potential, too. He can be so many different things because of his ability. As long as he’s in the lineup, I don’t care where he hits."

god, i wish we could fast foward 3 years to have fernando and carlos on this years team.

Back
Top Bottom