The 2007 Mets Thread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2007 Mets Thread

:lol:

But, but...he's Chan Ho Park. :ninja:

And hey, Jack's died before. Then he came back to life. Granted, he didn't wait three days and move a big-*** stone all by himself for full dramatic effect or anything, but still, he has died.

Good point, however killing Jack Bauer just makes him angry.

The main reason why Jack didn't wait three days is because in his own words, "THERE'S NO TIME!"

Ok back to baseball, but I will admit those Chan Ho Park fact list is pretty funny. Props for using the ninja guy too. :lol:

31. Chan Ho Park fought Jack Bauer to a draw in a 3-hour steel cage death match.

32. Chan Ho Park is Korean for "Cy Young".

33. Chan Ho Park has a beer named after him in Saudi Arabia.

34. Chan Ho Park was the love child of Sandy Koufax and Marilyn Monroe.

35. Chan Ho Park can make your head explode by staring at it.

36. Chan Ho Park once struck out three batters with one pitch.

37. Chan Ho Park will assassinate Kim Jong Il tomorrow...or run an ultra-marathon. He hasn't decided yet.

38. Jessica Simpson left Nick Lachey for Chan Ho Park.

39. Chan Ho Park is wanted in 68 countries, but not Canada, Peru or Panama.

40. Chan Ho Park can belch the entire alphabet at once.

41. Chan Ho Park defies the laws of physics.

42. Chan Ho Park got this party started.

43. Chan Ho Park holds a Nobel Peace Prize for "wickedest fastball".

44. At around 3 pm, when you're getting tired at work, Chan Ho Park sneaks in and messes with your stuff.

45. Chan Ho Park has a Coke and a smile.
Very nice Phunwin....anyone else want to give it a shot/

We need something to hold us over until the season starts :lol:

I was still waiting for more into way draft picks don't help you win the World Series.. This was news to me..

I was still waiting for more into way draft picks don't help you win the World Series.. This was news to me..

yeah, how many minor leaguers did the Yankees draft and trade away to help them win????

That's just a silly argument.

Draft picks a very important to a team.

yeah, how many minor leaguers did the Yankees draft and trade away to help them win????

That's just a silly argument.

Draft picks a very important to a team.

It really isn't. If drafting is so important how come the Oakland A's never win anything??? They draft well.

The teams that win spend money!!! Period!! Sure, they also mix in some guys they drafted, but in MLB you BUY players that help you win!!!!! Without money you can't win. You can draft great till the cows come home, it means nothing if you don't have money!!!!!!

We can argue this in circles all day, I was willing to let it go. I ain't changing anyones mind here. And you aren't changing mine. But if you wanna keep going on this, then let's go!!!!

I digress from the argument but imo a farm system is very important but personally I prefer talent heavy over depth. Theres only so many spots on a MLB roster so depth does you more good in trading but you have to give a few players to do anything significant. However, I like a talent heavy top group that can be built around by FA...just like the NYY did and the Mets are doing.

Look at the similarities:
NYY early 90's: Posada, Jeter, Bernie, Gerald Williams, Petitte, Mo, Roberto Kelly...
NYM now: Wright, Reyes, Pelfrey, Humber, Heilman, Milledge....granted there are some "maybe's" in there but still the premise is the same

Wouldnt let me copy/paste anything but if you have access to scout its a great read on Carlos Gomez. ETA is 2008 and they compare his work ethic to willie mays. He should project out just short of Carlos Beltran with the type of power and speed he has.

http://mets.scout.com/2/618866.html

I just got my mets email (free service, sign up on the mets site if you want it)

Dear Mets Fans:

Our quest for a championship begins this week as pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training. All of us at the Mets are determined to build upon last year's success - an MLB-best 97 wins and the National League East title.

We like our blend of young talent, veterans, power, speed, and athleticism as we head into what will be a competitive camp. Carlos Delgado, David Wright, Jose Reyes, and Paul Lo Duca anchor our star-studded infield with Carlos Beltran, Shawn Green, and Moises Alou in the outfield. We think that these guys and those coming off the bench playing as a team combine for one of the most potent, dynamic, and exciting lineups in baseball.

We feel we have more quality arms and depth on our staff than we have had in many, many years going into Spring Training. Proven winners Tom Glavine and "El Duque" Orlando Hernandez lead the starters. After showing a lot during the playoffs last year, we have good reason to believe that John Maine and Oliver Perez can continue to contribute for us this year. We feel that homegrown Mike Pelfrey and Philip Humber are legitimate big league prospects who will compete for a spot with Chan Ho Park, Jorge Sosa, Aaron Sele, Alay Soler, and Jason Vargas. The addition of Ambiorix Burgos and Scott Schoeneweis strengthens our N.L.- leading bullpen. We expect even more quality performances from Aaron Heilman, Pedro Feliciano, and Duaner Sanchez to set up closer Billy Wagner.

Manager Willie Randolph's leadership has created the most unique clubhouse and team environment in all of baseball. We expect the team to continue to thrive under his guidance.

Our entire organization is excited about the upcoming season. The abrupt conclusion to last season makes us even more driven in our goal of winning a World Championship for the greatest fans in sports. We thank you for your loyal support and look forward to seeing you back at Shea for more thrills, fun, and celebrations.

Best,

Omar Minaya
Executive VP of Baseball Operations & General Manager
New York Mets

Mets claimed RHP Marcos Carvajal off waivers from the Devil Rays.
Carvajal is a bigger loss for the Rays than either of the two prospects the team actually traded for Jae-Kuk Ryu. The 22-year-old had a 3.86 ERA and a 69/39 K/BB ratio in 72 1/3 IP for Double-A Montgomery last season and a 2.19 ERA in 37 innings in Venezuela over the winter. While he hasn't made as much progress as hoped since spending 2005 in the majors with the Rockies as a Rule 5 pick, he still could be a fine short reliever in time. The Mets will have him begin the year in Double- or Triple-A.

Metsblog.com basically calls hm a similar pitcher to heilman with a hotter fastball.

Dave Lennon of Newsday:

Quote:
"I’ve been vocal that I want to stay here and they know that and the people in New York know that," Lo Duca said. " I’d love to stay here and I’ll leave it at that. This is the last year of my contract and I’m just going to play like it’s any other year.Obviously you don’t want to be talking during the season, but whatever happens, happens."

GM Omar Minaya said today that he intends to sit down with Lo Duca's agent at some point during spring training to talk about an extension, but it seems more likely to happen to later in the season, if at all.

Hopefully something gets done...even though C's can go downhill quickly im all for a series of one year extensions since we have a more then adequate backup in castro

Buy or sell Heilman is traded by the deadline because everyone is sick of his complaining?

Hes arbitration eligible next year but he isnt UFA until 2010.

From the Daily News

Quote:
Yes, Aaron Heilman asked again. No, he's not going to get a look as a starting pitcher this spring.
"I haven't given up," Heilman said yesterday, a day after arriving from his home in Chicago. "I'll still do everything I can to pursue that - until I don't feel I can be an effective starter."

"I've got to come in and still do a job and help this team win," said Heilman, who made a team-high 74 relief appearances in '06. "Unfortunately, I can't have a lot of say in what my role is. I can just try to control the things I can - which is my performance when I'm out there. I'll just go out there and have another good year and help the team win."

"It looks like we're going to be pretty solid," Heilman said about the bullpen. "I think it will be similar to what it was last year. It wasn't one guy going out there every day. Everybody was able to take the ball and lean on each other. I think that's a big part of having an effective bullpen."

Buy or sell Heilman is traded by the deadline because everyone is sick of his complaining?

Hes arbitration eligible next year but he isnt UFA until 2010.

Sell. I think it's a vicious cycle: if the team needs a starting pitcher, it means the bullpen is probably being overworked, which means they won't trade Heilman. However, if the starters are in good shape, it means they don't need to make a move, which means they won't trade Heilman.

Moreover, on a team that's got a lot of expensive players, a top-notch relief pitcher who works cheap is a good guy to keep around. So I think Heilman stays unless the Mets can include him in a package for a legit #1 or #2 starter.

Sell. I think it's a vicious cycle: if the team needs a starting pitcher, it means the bullpen is probably being overworked, which means they won't trade Heilman. However, if the starters are in good shape, it means they don't need to make a move, which means they won't trade Heilman.

Moreover, on a team that's got a lot of expensive players, a top-notch relief pitcher who works cheap is a good guy to keep around. So I think Heilman stays unless the Mets can include him in a package for a legit #1 or #2 starter.
For the record I agree, I just want to see what everyone else thinks....

Heilman isn't going anywhere unless he brings back a Roy Oswalt type pitcher in a trade. I think the Mets will hold onto him.

I read today that Heliman is pissed because he didn't get one of the 12 assigned parking spot at the Mets ST site. I'm starting to get the impressing that this guy is becoming a pain in the butt.

Back
Top Bottom