The #3 pick has too much value to simply pick a player | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The #3 pick has too much value to simply pick a player

Never count out something completely unexpected in the draft with a Jones, Chucky, even Jacksonville has the capitol to trade back up into the top twenty or higher for whoever to go with Lawrence. Could be wild or the draft is so deep everybody can just chill and get somebody they like. I think it’s just the modern way that coaches get on the hot seat really fast and have that incentive to mortgage the future if it means winning now.

The days of the Jimmy Johnson Draft Value Chart are over. It is unrealistic to get most of the value of a higher pick these days because of the rookie wage scale basically making a mistake at QB affordable, plus the salary cap these days. But, in general, I agree that we will probably get more value trading down for a team who wants a QB.

To trade down and get decent value ... you need a trade partner. That means if the Jet's are open to a trade ... they're going to get the sweet deal and we may not even get any legitimate offers worth considering. But if the Jets stand pat and draft Sewell, then our pick suddenly becomes a hot item!

I highly doubt the Jags trade out of the #1 pick unless its to us at #3 to get Justin Fields (very unlikely, but his coach was Urban Meyer), or to the Texans in a trade for Watson. And honestly, I think there's still a 99% chance the Jags use the pick and select Trevor Lawrence. So, this pick will be all about the #2 QB, which I believe will probably be Zack Wilson of BYU. He hasn't started as many games as people would like, and he didn't play in a particularly strong conference, but the ability is obvious, and he'll probably be the second QB taken. Both Justin Fields and Trey Lance are going to have some scouts falling in love with them ... but likely not nearly as many as Wilson, who is more of a sure thing.

Our best case scenario is the Jets taking Sewell and trading back to a QB hungry team. But ... both a trade partner and what the Jets do with their pick are out of our hands.

If Grier managed a trade to #1 to just auction the pick because the Jags didn't want to trade down beyond #3 he would instantly become my hero. What could we get from teams under us to take Sunshine? I also have no clue where the Jets would be left in the middle of this. The Jags can't be 100% they're getting Fields at #3 because of them. Doubt it's happening but nice scenario. Maybe we could package Tua +3 for Lawrence, Jags pick Sewell,Lol! I mean I guess at this point I would do it. I would probably ask for a 3rd as kick back, though.

My trade would be to NE at 15 with our 18th pick to grab Pitts if still available, give them a 3rd and 6th. I stand pat at 3 and run up to the podium for Smith. Then I try to get back into the late part of the 1st for Harris. Give Tua Smith, Pitts and Harris and let them grow together!

Nobody is talking about Dallas coveting Sewell to protect Dak, but I could see Jerry Jones wanting to protect his quarterback. He’s seen his last two pounded out of the league, one permanently.

On February 20, 2017, Odrick was released by the Jaguars
On July 25, 2017, the Dolphins placed Misi on injured reserve with a neck injury

Two epic FAILS...Use #3 to get speed to burn and hands to catch
I'm curious how Smith is any better than Chase?

Nobody is talking about Dallas coveting Sewell to protect Dak, but I could see Jerry Jones wanting to protect his quarterback. He’s seen his last two pounded out of the league, one permanently.

That's a possibility but Sewell isn't the only good OL guy in the draft. Just like Smith isn't the only reciever.

While I think Smith is better thane Chase, I would have a hard time not trading the pick and moving back three or four spots and getting Chase plus a second round pick instead of Smith.

Then you'd be a TERRIBLE GM if you moved 3 spots back and only got a 2nd rounder.

Last edited:
While I think Smith is better thane Chase, I would have a hard time not trading the pick and moving back three or four spots and getting Chase plus a second round pick instead of Smith.
That's more or less what I was getting at, however I think Chase is the better pick. I'm not letting a championship game with production against linebackers and sub par dbs overshadow how great Chase was last year. Many forget many were saying he was the best NFL prospect in college football before the season started. Yet because he sat out it has been forgotten, what about Sewell sitting out or the other 4 players that are gonna be 1st round picks that opted out as well. Taking a receiver at 3 is stupid ass hell imo because there are two to notch guys to choose from.

I think they were restorative, while also supposedly being preventative. One doesn't get elective surgery mid-season.
That's what I meant.

While fixing his injuries he opted for the extra steps to protect him in the future.

I didn't mean to imply he just did them for fun :D

If we can get an extra 3 this yr and a 1st next yr, staying in the top ten. I do it . Parsons ,Waddle ,Slater,Pitts .Picking again at 18 . with the pick we picked up in the 3rd we could combine with our 1st to get 2 of these guys. Waddle if healthy is more of what we need than Smith, who I love. If we could add Pitts, wow. Slater is a monster at tackle and Parsons could make our def. eliteThe other thought is we draft a qb at 3 either Wilson or Fields. Next yr there is a very weak qb class. Let either player compete with Tua if Tua fails we could get a package much better than we gave up for Rosen as Tua has already done more. If Tua becomes the QB we hope he hope he is, we have a potential franchise qb in either Fields or Wilson who are now 1 yr more experienced in the NFL that we can trade in a yr where there are no stud college qbs.

Back
Top Bottom