The #3 pick has too much value to simply pick a player | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The #3 pick has too much value to simply pick a player

Welcome to the site friend... There are already a couple of threads discussing that concept, you're welcome to visit them... That being said, I agree that #3 is not optimal if you're not going to grab a QB... Trade down is clearly the preferred scenario here.
The fins has a chance to get the best Wr in this draft and you want them to trade down? Tua will be the QB and he needs help, go get him a Wr that can threaten the field, or a TE(Pitts) at 18 that can occupy the middle.

I'm confused about your stance.

Do you think the past is relevant, or do you not?

If it is, historically, WR isn't a good value, without trading down.

If it isn't, then what different regimes have done in the past has no bearing on the present.

I'm not discounting the need for offensive weaponry, just the rationalization being made.
I was only responding to the post concerning trading down and it’s history in Miami.....

Randy Moss was a rare talent....but Jimmy traded down twice ending up with a big group of flops...

Every situation is unique, and the choices an organization makes is critical, there is no “right” strategy regarding trading down...like the draft it’s a gamble.

Trading down is also not optional...you have to have a trading partner.

To say pick 3 is too valuable to select a player is close minded...if that player ends up an all-time great...and the picks received end up as flops as in the “Moss example”.

Last edited:
Justin Fields play last Monday ruined the trade-down value of the pick.
There is no QB worth trading up that high to get.
Best to just grab the player we want most.

You can make a good argument for both drafting at #3 or trading down.

There seems to be a bit of trepidation about drafting Devonta Smith at #3. May I ask as someone still quite new to college football how Smith compares as a prospect to Julio Jones who was drafted #6 by the Falcons in 2011?

I don’t mean body type or skill set per say, but more how they rank as a prospect coming out of college and entering the draft? If Jones went at 6 is it not unthinkable to take Smith at 3?

There seems to be a bit of trepidation about drafting Devonta Smith at #3. May I ask as someone still quite new to college football how Smith compares as a prospect to Julio Jones who was drafted #6 by the Falcons in 2011?

I don’t mean body type or skill set per say, but more how they rank as a prospect coming out of college and entering the draft? If Jones went at 6 is it not unthinkable to take Smith at 3?
I don't know if this has been mentioned here about chase vs Smith, but chase is 16 months younger than Smith. He's also a great player himself who sat out this past season allowing everyone to fall in love with Smith. Chase is bigger than Smith, less fragile looking and he's over a full year younger. Not sure if that matters at all. Just throwing it out there.

I don't know if this has been mentioned here about chase vs Smith, but chase is 16 months younger than Smith. He's also a great player himself who sat out this past season allowing everyone to fall in love with Smith. Chase is bigger than Smith, less fragile looking and he's over a full year younger. Not sure if that matters at all. Just throwing it out there.
Yeah his stock may have fallen a little due to no fault of his own. The same could be said of Waddle who was out performing Smith before the injury by all accounts?

The fins has a chance to get the best Wr in this draft and you want them to trade down? Tua will be the QB and he needs help, go get him a Wr that can threaten the field, or a TE(Pitts) at 18 that can occupy the middle.
You’re assuming they see an objectively “best” receiver in the draft. What if they see the top three as too close to call? At some point, the compensation on a trade down outweighs any minor differences the team might have in differentiating between them.

Yeah his stock may have fallen a little due to no fault of his own. The same could be said of Waddle who was out performing Smith before the injury by all accounts?
Yeah exactly. Waddle was very highly rated and then he got hurt and missed most of the season. Chase is also much younger than waddle. I think if they're all rated similarly, go with the guy who is 16 months younger. Just my thoughts.

I’m going to be most teams have Chase above Smith on their boards by draft time. There’s a lot of recency bias with respect to Smith. I like them both and glad it’s not my decision. Lol.

I was only responding to the post concerning trading down and it’s history in Miami.....

Randy Moss was a rare talent....but Jimmy traded down twice ending up with a big group of flops...

Every situation is unique, and the choices an organization makes is critical, there is no “right” strategy regarding trading down...like the draft it’s a gamble.

Trading down is also not optional...you have to have a trading partner.

To say pick 3 is too valuable to select a player is close minded...if that player ends up an all-time great...and the picks received end up as flops as in the “Moss example”.
I agree that to not consider all options is closed minded. But going against a valid historical precedent is also a gamble, and a bigger one at that.

Moss had "baggage", and although it ended up being a mistake in that specific case, it was still a gamble.

I see ppl on here saying "gamble on greatness" a lot, but that is a mistake, IMO, because you will lose that bet a lot more often than you will win. Dion Jordan would be a prime example of that.

As far as Misi, and other underwhelming selections, that's more of an eval problem. Let's face it, ifcwe can't do a good job at that, the rest really doesn't matter.

I would rather have a handful of solid NFL starters, than one "great" player, and 4 failures.

Obviously, its not an either/or proposition, but taking long shots, or making picks that are contrary to sound, proven draft philosophy is not a viable strategy, the same way pointing to outliers is not a valid arguement about individual players.

Justin Fields play last Monday ruined the trade-down value of the pick.
There is no QB worth trading up that high to get.
Best to just grab the player we want most.
Unlike some fans, scouts and evaluators don't base their opinions on a single game. He didn't do himself any favors, bit that one performance is not going to completely override a professional's assessment.

You have to take body type, skillset, and measurables into account. To do otherwise is pure folly.

Smith is being rated against his peers, not the history of collegiate WRs. That's why the phrase "generational talent" has been so overused, it doesn't have much meaning any more.

The only way i would trade #3 is to move to #1 to get Lawrence.

But that wont happen. Im never a fan of picking receivers high, but Devonta is just amazing, the kinda guy we need.

Back
Top Bottom