The #3 pick has too much value to simply pick a player | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The #3 pick has too much value to simply pick a player

Sure and the #1 has even more value than #3 someone should tell Jacksoville to forgo selecting Lawrence. The haul they could get could be franchise altering. We might never pick this high again for a while, I rather draft a blue chip player.
We should instead draft a OL who can play for 5 or 6 years...

Unlike some fans, scouts and evaluators don't base their opinions on a single game. He didn't do himself any favors, bit that one performance is not going to completely override a professional's assessment.
You beat me to it. So true.

I agree that to not consider all options is closed minded. But going against a valid historical precedent is also a gamble, and a bigger one at that.

Moss had "baggage", and although it ended up being a mistake in that specific case, it was still a gamble.

I see ppl on here saying "gamble on greatness" a lot, but that is a mistake, IMO, because you will lose that bet a lot more often than you will win. Dion Jordan would be a prime example of that.

As far as Misi, and other underwhelming selections, that's more of an eval problem. Let's face it, ifcwe can't do a good job at that, the rest really doesn't matter.

I would rather have a handful of solid NFL starters, than one "great" player, and 4 failures.

Obviously, its not an either/or proposition, but taking long shots, or making picks that are contrary to sound, proven draft philosophy is not a viable strategy, the same way pointing to outliers is not a valid arguement about individual players.
Dion Jordan was an eval problem....drafted totally on potential.

Moss was a stud in college and not the same type of gamble at all....

It's a very important pick no doubt but the 2nd and 3rd round picks are just as important in some ways. You look at all the teams playing this weekend and most of the best players on each team were taken out of the top 10. I really hope we stop drafting so many projects and try to lock in some starters with these first 5 picks this year

I think the point is that the number 3 pick figures to be a prime QB spot and Miami is unlikely to want a QB and can thus move down a few spots to a team that wants to ensure they get their QB. The package may be too good to pass up. It also depends on how much separation Miami sees in the talent between non-QBs in the top 10.
I am sure Detroit thought the same thing last year. They were at 3, didn’t want a QB, and Miami and the Chargers were sure to trade up to get theirs. How did that work out for them?

There is always trading partner. All depends on asking price. People say its hard to find partner is just being argumentative.

Eagles, Lions, Panthers all can use a young qb. I would be happy if we swap our first, and get their second this year and next year.
After the trade, Smith or Chase should be still available. Why not.

At least we are in an enviable position with several QB hungry teams and a strong QB draft class. Additionally, we have Cincinnati who would probably give up a future first to move up 2 spots to draft Sewell to protect Burrow. This seems like a year where we have so many of the right pieces in place as well as other team needs to absolutely crush the draft, as well as set us up for the next few years draft as well. Exciting stuff.
Don't assume Cincinnati will trade up. Historically, they NEVER trade up. That doesn't mean they won't- but that is not their tendency. I did a search on it not long ago. They literally almost NEVER trade up.

What Miami lacks are elite level players. X and Sanders are the only two on the team. Imagine where Miami would have finished without those two this year. Unless the price is right, the 4 elite players ( Sewell, Smith, Chase, Parsons) likely on the board at #3 when Miami picks are too good to pass up on one them. Dropping any lower than 6 would be a mistake imo unless they are sure Detroit would trade up for a QB at 7 ensuring one of those would be on the board.

Of course the Jets aren’t guaranteed to take a QB, so they would likely draft one of the 4. Maybe that would raise the offers coming Miami’s way.

At least the off season isn’t going to be boring as a Dolphin fan.
I think you can throw Pitts into that elite player category. Just my opinion.

I don't know if this has been mentioned here about chase vs Smith, but chase is 16 months younger than Smith. He's also a great player himself who sat out this past season allowing everyone to fall in love with Smith. Chase is bigger than Smith, less fragile looking and he's over a full year younger. Not sure if that matters at all. Just throwing it out there.
Didn't watch lots of tapes on Chase.
Is he more like a burner,like Hill? Or route type like Clayton and Diggs, or 5050 type like Parker?

We are in such a great position with the #3 pick that we can’t simply pick Sewell or Davis or whoever. The pick has way more value than that. if I was GM I would try to trade down to get another 1st rounder if not more, then utilize the new assets to either trade for Watson or load up on weapons for Tua.
The bottom line is that I think we’d be underutilizing the pick if we used it for face value. We are in an incredible position in the draft this year, and kudos for the FO for the Tunsil deal that got us here.

Bottom line to me - Miami has options. Haven't really had this many options in a while. Stay? Trade down? Trade for more '21 picks? '20 picks? Top O? Top D? Just don't mess it up

Bottom line to me - Miami has options. Haven't really had this many options in a while. Stay? Trade down? Trade for more '21 picks? '20 picks? Top O? Top D? Just don't mess it up
Agreed... this is exactly why I get a bit frustrated with posters who've focused in on only one strategy and swear that we HAFTA do it MY way... (sigh)

The smartest thing we can do is keep our intentions to ourselves like we did last year... We had all those picks and no one wanted to bid against us. It froze the board and allowed us to get Tua @5.

We are in a similar situation this year... only the Jets have more power than we do.

Never count out something completely unexpected in the draft with a Jones, Chucky, even Jacksonville has the capitol to trade back up into the top twenty or higher for whoever to go with Lawrence. Could be wild or the draft is so deep everybody can just chill and get somebody they like. I think it’s just the modern way that coaches get on the hot seat really fast and have that incentive to mortgage the future if it means winning now.

JAX trades for Watson. That would shake up the draft. Will it happen? I seriously doubt it, but, you're right, unexpected things happen.

If the Jets take Sewell at #2, then pick #3 becomes the highest value possible with 2 QB's still on the board.

Back
Top Bottom