The All-Purpose Draft thread.... | Page 158 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Draft thread....

I agree w/the TE assessment ... the guy is special for sure ... off toplc, I saw a mock that had Miami trading down and selecting Chop Robinson ...
1. Is he even on the Dolphins radar in the first?
2. Do you think they would trade down with OL (couple of fav's still on the board) still there?

I know ... who knows, right? Just speculating on draft day :cheers:

OK what conclusions are you going to draw with that? Which players is Bowers most similar to, and how similar is he?

The only conclusion to draw is that "sure-fire" TE prospects aren't always that - in fact they more often aren't. Now, this is important...am I saying Brock Bowers won't be the best TE in the league in a couple years? No. But it's a risk.

Just a couple years ago, people were sure Kyle Pitts was going to be so good that Grier should be fired for not taking him before the draft was even over, and the NFL was just going to change its name to "The Kyle Pitts Experience." It didn't turn out that way yet (although Arthur Smith just being a complete lunatic might have had something to do with that so far.)

As far as a prospect comparison, there's nobody identical, but I think he's most like TJ Hockenson (albeit slightly smaller and faster). Think that's crazy?

Hockenson RAS <-link

Mark my words - if the Jets draft a TE instead of an OL tonight, their fans will be unhappy. Their season, and probably the FO's jobs, are entirely dependent on Aaron Rodgers staying healthy and upright.

That is pretty accurate for me.

It's o line all day. But if Turner or Bowers magically drop, you HAVE to pull the trigger.

Other then that, only defensive player I will be ok with name being taken at 21 is Dejean.

We all know Grier and MM value GRYPHONKS feelings

DeJean probably belongs in his own tier: you better have a very specific plan to turn him into an All Pro DB. But, I didn't feel like trying to fit all that in a Twitter post.

Newsome was not a big guy, but he was a very good receiver. He had the hips and the speed. He was a tough guy as well.

I would say all those same things about Bowers.

You have to look at who he's had at TE. I don't think there's anything about his style of play that leads him to eschew TE's.

And I REALLY disagree about Bowers. After Maye, Williams, Harrison Jr, and Nabers, he's the best prospect in the class, and I only keep him out of that tier because he's a TE. His ability with the ball in his hands is second to none. As a True Freshman, he was the best player at Georgia, and he's been their best player the last three years. Imo deploy him like Cooper Kupp with some Deebo Samuel's touches sprinkled in. Kincaid isn't nearly as dynamic with or without the ball.

And, Pitts had 1,000 as a rookie despite bad QB play. Atlanta didn't really try to use his versatility; they just lined him up at X. With better QB play, and if he hadn't been banged up, that might have worked. Pitts is still a supreme talent. If he can stay healthy, I expect him to reach his All Pro potential.

No one really saw Hockenson like that. He ran like a 4.70 and was a major reach Top 10, but he is pretty good.

Is it coincidence that after Rodger's leaves GB they invest two early drafts picks at the TE position? I do think Rodgers had a say in the weapons he wanted. Even in NY, he requested his fellow WRs, but could careless about the TE position. He had solid TEs in GB in his career like Jermichael Finley and Jimmy Graham.
Some QBs like to go to TEs more. like Lamar Jackson and Dak Prescott. I wonder if Tua is one of those QB's who doesnt prefer to look for his TE as much as he should, even when Tua was in college, he didnt really use the TE that much.

I understand that Brock Browers had crazy college production his highlights are outstanding. But he is still undersized and I think he will struggle more in the NFL with separation and with contested cacthes. Michael Mayer was also very productive in college and we saw the struggle he had last year. I do think Bowers is deserving of a 1st round pick but I wouldn't draft him top 10. The TE position isn't as valuable. We continue to see the best TEs in the game getting drafted outside the 1st round every year. I remember so many people on finheaven in years past pounding the table for other top TEs like Pitts, TJ Hock, Ebron, even going all the way back to Tyler Eifert. Vernon Davis was suppose to be the need "breed" of TEs, so was Kellen Winslow Jr. Bottom line, the top rated, highly regarded TEs drafted high rarely become the all world sensations like many make them out to be. I don't see Bowers changing that. I see Bowers being Sam Laporta and not Rob Gronkowski. Which is still good and nice to have but not great value in the top 10.

Is it coincidence that after Rodger's leaves GB they invest two early drafts picks at the TE position? I do think Rodgers had a say in the weapons he wanted. Even in NY, he requested his fellow WRs, but could careless about the TE position. He had solid TEs in GB in his career like Jermichael Finley and Jimmy Graham.
Some QBs like to go to TEs more. like Lamar Jackson and Dak Prescott. I wonder if Tua is one of those QB's who doesnt prefer to look for his TE as much as he should, even when Tua was in college, he didnt really use the TE that much.

I understand that Brock Browers had crazy college production his highlights are outstanding. But he is still undersized and I think he will struggle more in the NFL with separation and with contested cacthes. Michael Mayer was also very productive in college and we saw the struggle he had last year. I do think Bowers is deserving of a 1st round pick but I wouldn't draft him top 10. The TE position isn't as valuable. We continue to see the best TEs in the game getting drafted outside the 1st round every year. I remember so many people on finheaven in years past pounding the table for other top TEs like Pitts, TJ Hock, Ebron, even going all the way back to Tyler Eifert. Vernon Davis was suppose to be the need "breed" of TEs, so was Kellen Winslow Jr. Bottom line, the top rated, highly regarded TEs drafted high rarely become the all world sensations like many make them out to be. I don't see Bowers changing that. I see Bowers being Sam Laporta and not Rob Gronkowski. Which is still good and nice to have but not great value in the top 10.

Rodgers had such a say that they only drafted defensive players in the 1st Round. Let's be serious.

Have you watched Bowers, though?

Rodgers had such a say that they only drafted defensive players in the 1st Round. Let's be serious.

Have you watched Bowers, though?

Yes I think if Rodgers told GB he wanted a dynamic TE then they would have got him one a long time ago. Now that has in NY he wanted familiar faces with Lazard and Cobb but still no TE. After his injury im sure NY and Rodgers want Oline help instead of a devalued position like TE.

Yes, like I said great player, Would love to draft him at #21 but Im not trading up to get him and I wouldnt draft ANY TE in the top 10 unless that draft class is absolute trash at other premier positions.

DeJean probably belongs in his own tier: you better have a very specific plan to turn him into an All Pro DB. But, I didn't feel like trying to fit all that in a Twitter post.

This is true.

Simply speaking, based on our DC'S use of 3 safeties and Dejeans "flexibility" I feel he could arguably be the best impact player to our defense.

Of course it's speculation.

But these hybrid or flexible players don't necessarily work in the NFL kind of like Issaiah Simmons.

If the plan is CB, I don't draft him at 21. If the plan is the speculative flexibility that Weavers scheme may call for... I'm all for it.

We shall see. But as I have stated before, for some reason I always have a soft spot for safeties lol.

When we drafted Holland, I wanted Grier to trade up and get Moehrig to

Yes I think if Rodgers told GB he wanted a dynamic TE then they would have got him one a long time ago. Now that has in NY he wanted familiar faces with Lazard and Cobb but still no TE. After his injury im sure NY and Rodgers want Oline help instead of a devalued position like TE.

Yes, like I said great player, Would love to draft him at #21 but Im not trading up to get him and I wouldnt draft ANY TE in the top 10 unless that draft class is absolute trash at other premier positions.

There were multiple reports every year for the last 5+ years about how pissed Rodgers is that GB wouldn't spend capital on WR's.

I think GB's ownership structure prevented Rodgers from having the normal influence you'd see from a star QB. Whatever it was, they were certainly not catering to his wishes.

Back
Top Bottom