The All-Purpose Draft thread.... | Page 156 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Draft thread....

Pats getting Maye and Jets getting Bowers is worst-case for Miami.

I believe the latter is not true for multiple reasons. I stated my case against top 10 TEs awhile back regarding Kyle Pitts.

Now imagine that situation stacked on top of a QB who notoriously does not throw to rookie receivers.

Hi Justin my name is Jim I’m your new coach

My first job is to get rid of all your current skill players that you’ve played with since entering the league.

We’re moving to a run first offense, we’re gonna build the line, give the ball to the back 25-30 times a game and we’re gonna need you to manage the game with your arms and legs

If you don’t like it I know someone who does :)

OK......a new offense doesnt mean you get rid of your young franchise QB......

Pats getting Maye and Jets getting Bowers is worst-case for Miami.

Eh. For whatever reason Rodgers refuses to involve TEs. I think them selecting Bowers is a win for us. They need O line help. And honestly Bowers is overrated. I do think Bowers is closer to Dalton Kincaid than he is to......some other hall of famer TE like so many seem to believe he will be.....like they did with Pitts and TJ Hock.

For Eich it still made no difference. He was never going to be a T at the NFL level.
Oddly enough, that's exactly what some scouting service had him pegged as - "starting LT from day 1" - I was thinking you have to be kidding me. Guard at best.

Horrible pick by Grier, especially given who was available and waiting for us (Creed Humphrey) and the dunce (Grier) moved UP to get him (IIRC).

He has ****ed OL picks too often, even taking into account Tunsil falling into his lap because his step father hates him (or whatever).

I live amongst AU fans (good people, mostly) and my son is one. Several asked why the hell the Dolphins drafted him.
It was encouraging though when we learned he had done better against DeVonta Smith than about any corner Smith faced.
But we also had Antoine Winfield available and how anyone could like Iggy better than Winfield was mind-boggling. When I read the opinions from various anonymous NFL scouts on the players Bob McGinn compiles every year, I guess we can see how it is possible.

There are some diverse opinions on Maye. He is not a slam dunk.

3. DRAKE MAYE, North Carolina (6-4 ½, 227, no 40, 1): Backed up Sam Howell in 2021 and then went 17-9 as the starter in 2022-’23. “Andrew Luck was further along than Drake Maye but the talent level is somewhat similar,” said one scout. “His pro day was really good. He throws a great deep ball for a guy that’s not supposed to have an elite arm. His accuracy and touch are his secret sauce. That’s what he’s really good at.” Finished with a passer rating of 106.3. Rushed for 1,209. “He’s the Jared Goff clone with his mobility,” a second scout said. “Goff ran 4.82. I’d say he’s 4.75.” Hands were 9 1/8. “I see a gifted athlete who can make all the passes,” a third scout said. “In the ’23 season he had a really bad offensive line and got exposed a little bit. There was a degree of inconsistency with his throwing motion and his throwing accuracy. I still think there’s upside with this guy, and he’s young (will be 22 in August). I do see him as a Pro Bowl starter.” Comes from an enormously athletic family. “He’s gotten close to Philip Rivers, who’s a little bit of a hillbilly from Alabama who went to NC State,” a fourth scout said. “Maye is from Charlotte and went to Carolina. So you think this guy’s going to have some polish. He walked in the room and he sounded like Jethro Bodine on the Beverly Hillbillies. We just went, ‘Who is this guy?’ Watching the tape, all this animation. This kid is sort of wound tight trying to be something he’s not … I thought his tape was kind of average, to be honest. He needs a year to just sit, and I don’t know if the teams that are going to take him can do that. I think it’s going to be real hard. He is not explosive with his arm. He’s a good athlete, but you see very few plays where he just rips the ball into a tight window. One thing I noticed was that all his takeoffs were into the boundary, the short side of the field. Any time he threw to the field (side) was to the slot (receiver) down the hashmark. I kind of thought they even recognized that there were some arm strength issues there. I thought I was going to turn on the tape, sit back and watch the show. After about five throws I went, ‘Are you kidding me? All this hype over this guy?’” His family lives in Huntersville, N.C. “He’s got all the physical tools,” a fifth scout said. “Sometimes there’s some wiring … there’s some Daniel Jones in there. Sometimes when it gets a little hairy, what’s he wired like?”

Back
Top Bottom