Interview with Mike McDaniel Requested | Page 37 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interview with Mike McDaniel Requested

He could be the smartest, most creative coach in the entire NFL. But is he a leader orf men? Is he going to be able to get these men to buy in and follow him? Or are they going to view him as some point dexter push over who isn't worthy of respect? Especially when things go wrong in a season.

I've read that people see Philbin all over this move but I actually see Cam Cameron.

Don’t know the guy at all. But when I hear him speak and how he speaks. I see more of a good teacher and not necessarily a strong Head Coach that’s dealing with more than OC-rested stuff day in and day out.

I’m not sure I see someone that’s going to be a strong leader of men.

After Harbaugh, I'm thinking McDaniel is my guy. It was Pederson but I think learning more about McDaniel, he has leap frogged him.

I'm willing to take a shot for pretty much most or all of the reasons in the OP as well.

Don’t know the guy at all. But when I hear him speak and how he speaks. I see more of a good teacher and not necessarily a strong Head Coach that’s dealing with more than OC-rested stuff day in and day out.

I’m not sure I see someone that’s going to be a strong leader of men.

A good teacher is the best leader of men IMO as long as you don't let people walk over you.

If he had to coach a game in SF due to COVID do you not think his players would respond to him?

Personally I think position is irrelevant, OC or HC people respond to you or they don't. They seem to with McDaniel.

He could be the smartest, most creative coach in the entire NFL. But is he a leader orf men? Is he going to be able to get these men to buy in and follow him? Or are they going to view him as some point dexter push over who isn't worthy of respect? Especially when things go wrong in a season.

I've read that people see Philbin all over this move but I actually see Cam Cameron.
By all accounts in the SF side, he has a strong backing with the entire locker room, as well as every coach he’s worked with. I don’t think respect is an issue

After watching that video I think he's a few years away. Smart dude but I don't think he has the it factor to coach multiple personalities on a 53 man roster.

Being a good teacher does not mean you can be a good head coach. For those interested in this guy, say the previous sentence in front of a mirror 20 times to cure yourselves of this stupidity. Miami should stay FAR away from this guy.

I was initially intrigued by the idea of appointing McDaniel as HC, but over the past week, looking more into it, and seeing what SF fans and the players he has worked with have said, I’m sold on the idea of bringing him in. I do have a feeling though that we’re not going to appoint McDaniel due to Ross likely wanting instant results, and that we’ll go for an experienced coach with proven results as a HC in the league, but Mike McDaniel is the option I would personally take. Whichever direction we choose to go in, whether McDaniel or someone else, it’s vital that we get the support structure right, both in the coaches we have, and the players we bring in and retain. Changing coaches every season, two OCs, a completely new roster every season etc. It doesn’t help, and it certainly doesn’t foster a winning culture. If we are to become successful again, the HC will be a big part of this, but we need to also give them the tools to succeed.

McDaniel is not the disciplinarian Brian Flores seemed to be, but maybe that is a good thing. He’s young, of course, but we also have a young roster, and there’s a chance they connect with his philosophy and way of playing over a strict taskmaster like Flores. Leadership can be found in the ‘alpha male’ type who rules with an iron fist, but it can also be found in the man who inspires others by being relatable and showing that you don’t need to shout to get a point across. Being the loudest man in the room doesn’t make you the most intelligent one in the room. He happens to remind me a lot of soccer coach Jurgen Klopp in how he explains the game, and not just based on their similar nerdish look. They both emphasise coaching based on collaboration and the need for everybody at all levels to be on the same page and being able to have input. To take a quote from the German, who has become one of the most highly-regarded coaches in sport: “That’s what leadership is: have strong people around you with a better knowledge in different departments than yourself, don’t act like you know everything. My confidence is big enough that I can really let people grow next to me, it’s no problem.” To quote McDaniel on the situation with the 49ers: "It's a very collaborative situation that Kyle Shanahan really creates on his coaching staff. And in that process, you have a voice and you're part of all different phases".

As an example of the relationship he has with the players, both young and veterans, he was credited as one of the main reasons Kyle Juszczyk signed a new deal with the 49ers. To quote Juszczyk, “My relationship with Mike had a huge, huge influence on me coming back, because I'm extremely comfortable with him”, and the fullback even invited McDaniel to his wedding in 2019. Of course, can this type of relationship with players carry over from OC to HC? We’ve seen the move be too much for many more experienced coaches than McDaniel over the years. I see appointing McDaniel as a chance to implement a long-term philosophy within the franchise, and a chance to break out of the rut. Despite only being 38 (the same age Flores was when appointed in Miami), it’s worth noting that he has over 10 years experience in the league, and it’s not as if he’s been picked up from the side of the road and interviewed for the position. Is appointing Mike McDaniel a home-run and a guarantee of success? No. It’s likely to be a huge gamble to be honest. But unless we resurrect Shula, nobody is going to be without risk.

To finish, I’ve attached a couple of articles on McDaniel that I found interesting, as well as quotes from both players and coaches he has worked alongside.

Kyle Juszczyk:

Jimmy Garoppolo:

Kyle Shanahan:

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/...s-behind-the-san-francisco-49ers-running-game

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...the-perfect-mix-of-play-design-and-personnel/

Interesting insight into McDaniel & I definitely view him as an intriguing prospect. Probably too expansive for the Dolphins & as you've pointed out Ross is now in desperation win now mode & I doubt will wait & allow for an inexperienced coach to build years under his watch.

My fear with McDaniel no matter how smart he is will be whether he can build a competent staff around him, which is key to being a successful headcoach as its an all encompassing position where you can't do it all yourself.

However, I have to disagree with your comparison of McDaniel to the Liverpool Premiership football manager Jurgen Klopp. I think they're worlds apart. Klopp is an alpha leader & sometimes regarded as a bully on the sidelines especially during his earlier days at Borussia Dortmund. Undoubtedly intelligent & knows his stuff, but then again in this day & age most Europeans football managers tick this box if you listen to their one on one interviews outside of match days.

Can you imagine McDaniel shouting on the sidelines to an official like this earlier picture of Klopp?

klopp.png

If you going to compare McDaniel to a Premiership football manager then I would suggest Mikel Arteta from Arsenal, Graham Potter from Brighton or even Thomas Frank from Brentford whom as an organisation are known for their data analytical approach to player recruitment.

Being a good teacher does not mean you can be a good head coach. For those interested in this guy, say the previous sentence in front of a mirror 20 times to cure yourselves of this stupidity. Miami should stay FAR away from this guy.
It sure does. Shula was known as a great teacher of the game.

Back
Top Bottom