The Coming Great QB Competition, Draft and Free Agency Haul of 2020 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Coming Great QB Competition, Draft and Free Agency Haul of 2020

The way I see it is we are developing Rosen this year so that he can be our starter next season. Let Tua (if he ends up here) sit and develop for a year and adjust to life in the NFL. The hope would be Rosen actually plays very well for us and we are in a situation like the Chiefs after they took Maholmes and Smith had an MVP type season. Imagine the haul we would get for Rosen in this scenerio!!
The difference here is Smith was 32/33 and already in the league 12 years when he was lighting it up in KC and they chose Mahomes. They had the opportunity to sit Mahomes and develope him, which they didn't really do. Rosen is 22, if he has an MVP type season, why would you trade him, isn't that what you're looking to get out of Tua or any other QB, an MVP QB? Why would you trade a young proven MVP QB for a potential MVP QB who is unproven in the NFL? If Rosen is MVP material, he is the starting QB, case closed, QB found...

I believe Rosen is part of the QB equation. I believe he has shown enough but with our current offensive line, last years experience in Arizona, the coaches may want him to have a more controlled experience and not another year of getting killed.

I would love to see Rosen play this week, but it's a no win situation for any QB.

I honestly want to keep track of the most adamant fans on the board that have given this FO and everyone else hell about what's happening in the off-season.
I for one think if you're unwilling to embrace(within reason) what's happening this season and why it's necessary then you shouldn't embrace the fruits of that sacrifice.

When the Dolphins pick is called over and over and over at the podium...remember your place.
When the Dolphins sign OG, OT, etc in the offseason...remember your place.

I love the Rosen optimism, him being amazing is still best case scenario, but the chances or so low that there's no point in talking about it.

Miami has been wanting Tua since he led Bama to the National Championship win against Georgia. This is all a planned demolish and for good reason. Miami is tired of waiting for good to become great. Go for great, it's the most effective way to be great.

I’m not sure how excited I am about adding ‘high cost’ FA looking to cash in in MIA, it just hardly ever works out well.

The ability to add young quality players from the draft in numbers, that’s a whole different story.
If NE is the example our staff emulates, I don't think high$ FAs are going to be in our future. More likely solid, proven players at a fair price.

Those top 3 in the league talents make good off season story lines, but they rarely make the difference that the contract would suggest.

I love the Rosen optimism, him being amazing is still best case scenario, but the chances or so low that there's no point in talking about it.

Miami has been wanting Tua since he led Bama to the National Championship win against Georgia. This is all a planned demolish and for good reason. Miami is tired of waiting for good to become great. Go for great, it's the most effective way to be great.

Rosen saga is not over yet! If the can truly develop Rosen then his stock becomes super valuable. He would already be a more than adequate backup on a cheat contract and even better he can get you a 1st round pick and some(see Jimmy G for the Pats/49ers) or net you serious comp when he becomes a FA.

NE type stuff all the way...

The difference here is Smith was 32/33 and already in the league 12 years when he was lighting it up in KC and they chose Mahomes. They had the opportunity to sit Mahomes and develope him, which they didn't really do. Rosen is 22, if he has an MVP type season, why would you trade him, isn't that what you're looking to get out of Tua or any other QB, an MVP QB? Why would you trade a young proven MVP QB for a potential MVP QB who is unproven in the NFL? If Rosen is MVP material, he is the starting QB, case closed, QB found...

Sorry I didn't exactly mean for it to come out meaning Rosen having an MVP type season. Would be great tho but moreso starting and looking decent for us while the rookie learns. The difference being like you said with Rosens age if he looks halfway decent someone will fork over a nice draft pick for him. Really a win win imo.

Based on.... what info? That's what I've been waiting for. Actual information that the FO has said showing this to be the case.

Sorry I didn't exactly mean for it to come out meaning Rosen having an MVP type season. Would be great tho but moreso starting and looking decent for us while the rookie learns. The difference being like you said with Rosens age if he looks halfway decent someone will fork over a nice draft pick for him. Really a win win imo.
If he could look decent with this O, that would actually be remarkable and would warrant further evaluation. The cards are stacked against him and to no fault of his own. Unfortunate situation for him and not an easy one to excel in.

Rosen is making some really nice throws this year when given the opportunity, it's a shame we can't evaluate him playing with a real offense and with a respectable line. I would like to see what he is truly capable of.
I think they have made that evaluation and he'll be a part of the equation as a long term back up. Doesn't mean he won't take me by surprise when given his opportunity this season but I think the odds of him developing into a top tier QB is a longshot.

I think they have made that evaluation and he'll be a part of the equation as a long term back up. Doesn't mean he won't take me by surprise when given his opportunity this season but I think the odds of him developing into a top tier QB is a longshot.
Based on what? He's 22 and has played for 2 crappy teams in 18 games. He throws a nice ball with touch, makes good reads, has above average pocket presence and intelligence, and a strong arm. I don't think the odds are long at all, well, maybe playing behind this line they are...

Greatly looking forward to what I believe will be an amazing 2020!

The Dolphins will be aggressive players in free agency in 2020... they will have upwards of 140 million in cap space...no fear of losing compensatory picks as they have no major looming free agents...no major resignings looming...it’s going to be exciting as they target young blue chip talent to supplement the amazing draft haul coming.

There is little doubt they are going to obtain the number one overall pick...and little doubt they use that on the QB of their choice.

I am one who is intrigued by Josh Rosen’s potential...and I do believe he is a player in this QB competition. I love the idea of a more refined Josh Rosen...seasoned in this offense competing with our number one overall pick for the starting QB position in 2020....and with a brand new talent infused O-line, I would not bet against Rosen being the starting QB in 2020 over the 1st overall pick, Should be amazing to watch it unfold.

I have warmed to the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade as a) he didn’t want to be here....b) he hasn’t exactly exploded as a prospect and really seems like he mostly excels as a slot corner...and c) we got a first round pick from a team who just lost their franchise QB for the season, and the pick could be a top 10, Pittsburgh is already 0-2.

We clearly are headed for the number overall pick.... which means we will have first overall pick on day 2 as well ( a very valuable pick as the entire league has the entire night to evaluate the best player who slipped out of round one)....and the trade down possibilities are great here.

We are going to have 4 of the top 33 picks...!

I regret that we gave up the first overall pick on day 3 (round 4) as that is also a great pick to have.

2020 is going to be an exciting year and the beginning of a new era for our Dolphins...We also get to watch all these QB prospects in college in 2019 knowing that we are going to get our choice of the best of them....

I know many believe it is Tua, and it may very well be....but the beauty is we have the whole season to evaluate all of them and who knows how the college prospects will stack up come next April... there are often surprises!

People seem to be getting ahead of themselves. IMO, there are steps involved, NONE of which are locked in.
1) Miami will have the 1st pick. Maybe so, but it's no lock.
2) Rosen is a bust. Wishful thinking. He hasn't started or had enough snaps for a good evaluation.
3) Even then, what does Flo want? Will Rosen play good enough to have Miami pass on a QB? What will be 'good enough?' Staffod level? Rivers level? Brees level? No one knows. How will 'ceiling' factor in? No one knows. Fans can say Miami WILL draft pick-a-name. In THEIR world, yup. In Flo's world? Unknown.
4) If Miami targets a QB, who will it be? No one knows. It's reasonable to say Flo has been influenced by Brady. NOT a top athlete. Not an RPO QB. He's the All-Time best cerebral QB and I suspect Flo will emphasize that in his search. Guessing who that is won't be easy and no one knows how that decision will come down.
5) even then, will Miami emphasize QB, OL, . . . ? You know the answer. No one knows.

Right now, I'd say top needs are OL, CB, QB, but I don't know for sure. I suspect there won't be any elite FAs signed and emphasis will be on value. Thus, predicting what the draft will be is . . . wait for it, unknown. If Miami signs a solid FA CB, fans can take CB off the list of critical needs. Personally, I'm excited about the day 1 picks and feel better about '20 than I have about a lot of previous drafts.

If they draft a QB with the number 1 pick there will be no QB competition.
If the Dolphins would go for a QB with a top 5 pick I have to agree with that. It means that they do not believe in Rosen so a QB competition will be useless and I doubt they will put Fitzpatrick into a QB competition with a top 5 pick.

If NE is the example our staff emulates, I don't think high$ FAs are going to be in our future. More likely solid, proven players at a fair price.

Those top 3 in the league talents make good off season story lines, but they rarely make the difference that the contract would suggest.

I agree wit this one as well. Since Flores became coach I said that we will not go for those highly expensive FAs. We will be active but not overpaying. Team/system fit will determine our FA acquisitions rather than splashy names.

Greatly looking forward to what I believe will be an amazing 2020!

The Dolphins will be aggressive players in free agency in 2020... they will have upwards of 140 million in cap space...no fear of losing compensatory picks as they have no major looming free agents...no major resignings looming...it’s going to be exciting as they target young blue chip talent to supplement the amazing draft haul coming.

There is little doubt they are going to obtain the number one overall pick...and little doubt they use that on the QB of their choice.

I am one who is intrigued by Josh Rosen’s potential...and I do believe he is a player in this QB competition. I love the idea of a more refined Josh Rosen...seasoned in this offense competing with our number one overall pick for the starting QB position in 2020....and with a brand new talent infused O-line, I would not bet against Rosen being the starting QB in 2020 over the 1st overall pick, Should be amazing to watch it unfold.

I have warmed to the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade as a) he didn’t want to be here....b) he hasn’t exactly exploded as a prospect and really seems like he mostly excels as a slot corner...and c) we got a first round pick from a team who just lost their franchise QB for the season, and the pick could be a top 10, Pittsburgh is already 0-2.

We clearly are headed for the number overall pick.... which means we will have first overall pick on day 2 as well ( a very valuable pick as the entire league has the entire night to evaluate the best player who slipped out of round one)....and the trade down possibilities are great here.

We are going to have 4 of the top 33 picks...!

I regret that we gave up the first overall pick on day 3 (round 4) as that is also a great pick to have.

2020 is going to be an exciting year and the beginning of a new era for our Dolphins...We also get to watch all these QB prospects in college in 2019 knowing that we are going to get our choice of the best of them....

I know many believe it is Tua, and it may very well be....but the beauty is we have the whole season to evaluate all of them and who knows how the college prospects will stack up come next April... there are often surprises!

I am extremely excited about the future. Flores and Co are totally committed of changing our culture. This season is all about what pieces can be kept for the future and which direction will we go in the 2020 FA and draft.
The only way we will take a QB is if Grier and Flores do not believe that Josh could turn out to be our franchise QB. Rosen does not even need an MVP/Pro Bowl season to be our future starter. All they need to see is growth and the capability that he could be the fit they are looking for.

The Dolphins do not plan on taking a QB with the first pick like some here suggest. They do their research, look at players (incl QBs) who could be a potential draft target (if they wouldn't it would be a crucial mistake) but their draft board right now is empty. Everything and nothing is in play.

Personally as a Dolphins fan you would want Rosen to pan out. In that case we would have draft and trade potential like I have never seen. They would dictate the 2020 draft. They could trade for more picks. They could keep them. They would determine what team gets a chance at a top QB and what team does not. They would hold all the cards and they could not only decide on their own future but also on the future of other teams.

What gets lost in all this "tank for Tua" boner crush is what the Dolphins want, work for and what their future vision for this team is. With some I expected that kind of simplistic thinking but with others I was utterly surprised. It was and is a real eye opener and changed how I view FH in general.

Back
Top Bottom