The Coming Great QB Competition, Draft and Free Agency Haul of 2020 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Coming Great QB Competition, Draft and Free Agency Haul of 2020

I really like Rosen, but get the impression that nothing is going to prevent Tua being drafted #1. The best Rosen can hope for is that he plays well enough to attract some trade interest.

2 things no one is talking about

1. Our cap won't be that high as signing our draft class will take most of our carry over money away. So we will have 112 Million in cap space next year not the 140-150 people are reporting

2. Why did our comp pick for James drop to a 4th from a 3rd per overthecap?

This is exactly why they need to take a nice long look at Rosen now, because if he happens to greatly impress the staff, Miami does not really need to take a QB high, but instead use all those picks to start fixing all the holes on the team right now.

He’s done nothing even remotely to hit the qb draft top pick pause button at this point. But yeah he needs to get reps with the 1s in game prep and starts on Sunday the last 12 weeks.

I feel like it’s already decided however. The actions are hard to ignore

Depending on what's available in free agency, I'd like to see Miami find two starting offensive linemen through that route. That would free up the draft a little more. This offseason has to be more about the offensive.

The draft will be exciting. Wouldn't doubt if the Dolphins trade that #33 pick, move down a little and get extra draft capital.

I really like Rosen, but get the impression that nothing is going to prevent Tua being drafted #1. The best Rosen can hope for is that he plays well enough to attract some trade interest.
Out of curiosity, what gives you that impression? The media, forum posts, or comments from team officials?

Only one of the three actually matters.

I don't buy the narrative that the decision has already been made. Rosen has the physical attributes required, therefore the question rests solely on whether or not he can learn the intricacies of the system, and quickly read\react.

U would love if the coaches decide JR is a "franchise" guy. If they don't think so, they will move on from him as a prospect for the future.

If they draft a QB with the number 1 pick there will be no QB competition.

This just isn't accurate.... why would a coach NOT have competition at any position? How do you KNOW what the FO is thinking? Unless you are claiming that Rosen will be blown out by (insert name) and you are saying he isn't real competition … even then there will be competition
It means that they do not believe in Rosen

How do you know what they believe? … Did you predict the Tunsil trade? …. We have NO idea what the final outcome will be …. they may just be using Fitzpatrick as a fill in so Rosen has some time to be better when he does start. Why throw an unpolished 22 year old into the fire when you have a veteran on a team that is still trying to get it together? Why throw a rookie into a new system and coaching staff when you have Rosen whose been in the system for a year AND has actually played in the NFL …. unless he's really that bad … which.... WE DON'T KNOW
Kyler Murray is starting for the Cardinals this year only having one year of college experience and has that offense playing far better in two games than Rosen did in 13.

Well … let the Cardinals change offensive coordinators and the Head Coach a couple times during the season then get back to me with your comparisons … and oh yeah … take away his RB threat for the season while your at it.

All of you MAY be right but absolute convictions about where this team is headed after 2 games is silly ... IMO ... Let's allow Tua or (insert name) actually get drafted ... then they will actually have to play a bit ... oh yeah, AND we should actually see Rosen run an offense a few times (as a starter) before dismissing a QB for a guy that hasn't worn the uniform .... I respect the input from all those in the know and even opinions of all ... but some posters held out hope (with stats and measurables etc.) for Tannehill .... how did that work out? Hell, there were many "arm chair" GM's that was gaga over Ryan Leaf ... How did that work out?

Rosen isnt even starting on a team that will end up being one of the worst teams in NFL history and we got people saying the Dolphins arent gonna be looking at QB with the first overall pick. Its simply amazing. That left tackle or DE with the first overall is gonna change the tide of this franchise.

Its not a coincidence that we decide to napalm the roster when an elite QB prospect is coming out. Its actually the proudest I have been as a dolphin fan for them to actual get ahead of the curve instead of lagging behind.

Rich Eisen said on his podcast yesterday that he heard that the Dolphins have wanted Tua since the 2018 draft in Dallas. Right after he demolished a top 30 defense in the national championship as a 19 year old.

Rosen isnt even starting on a team that will end up being one of the worst teams in NFL history and we got people saying the Dolphins arent gonna be looking at QB with the first overall pick. Its simply amazing. That left tackle or DE with the first overall is gonna change the tide of this franchise.

Its not a coincidence that we decide to napalm the roster when an elite QB prospect is coming out. Its actually the proudest I have been as a dolphin fan for them to actual get ahead of the curve instead of lagging behind.

Rich Eisen said on his podcast yesterday that he heard that the Dolphins have wanted Tua since the 2018 draft in Dallas. Right after he demolished a top 30 defense in the national championship as a 19 year old.
They may, or may not draft a QB #1 overall, and it may, or may not be Tua if they do (although that appears to be the likely choice).

No competent managerial team would have anything written in stone, at this point. Options are open until that card is turned in on draft night.

I agree, the odds are that we draft Tua (not my choice, but I can see it), but thinking it's a foregone conclusion is not correct, IMO.

Or we go with Rosen next year, build around him and if he's the Chosen, great! And if not, there's the best QB to come out of the draft since Luck waiting for us in 2021

So Rosen is gonna lead a team to the first overall pick 3 years in a row? Outstanding.

Based on.... what info? That's what I've been waiting for. Actual information that the FO has said showing this to be the case.

Rich Eisen spoke about it on ATN podcast. Then when we see the team being blown up for a close to guaranteed 1st pick it all makes sense.

Or we go with Rosen next year, build around him and if he's the Chosen, great! And if not, there's the best QB to come out of the draft since Luck waiting for us in 2021
The obvious flaw in that plan, is if we win 8 games with JR next year, we won't necessarily be in a position to get Lawrence.

If you guys think Pittsburgh is going to finish with a losing record, you clearly have not been watching football the las 40 years. Yes Pittsburgh lost Ben Roethlisberger for the season But did any of you see Mason Rudolph play at Oklahoma St.? I did. And I thought he should have been one of the QB selected in the first round last year. he has had a full year to learn their system and is now ready to start. My point is, Pittsburgh will still finish with a winning record. So the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade will only wind up somewhere between 16 and 22. It will NOT be a top 10 pick. Unlike Miami, Pittsburgh's fan base and organization do not tolerate losing. And they won't tolerate it this year either nor will the accept any excuses.

It's not the draft that worries me with regards to the 2020 offseason. Miami has positioned themselves quite nicely to be an aggressive player, moving up and down the draft to acquire players. It's more about F/A. The F/A class at OL has already dwindled to just a remaining few. And that's before franchise tags and potential re-signings, before F/A actually starts. Not much out there. So why be aggressive in F/A, when you may not get a good return on the investment? I'd rather be; very selective and wait for a more robust class of F/A to hit the market.

Last edited:
Rich Eisen spoke about it on ATN podcast. Then when we see the team being blown up for a close to guaranteed 1st pick it all makes sense.

Amazing isnt it. Instead of seeing what is right there in plain sight (us taking a QB high). People have to come up with 9 excuses/conspiracy theories for why Rosen isnt starting instead of maybe just realizing he isnt very good. He's already got 2 picks in a quarter of football. Maybe the coaches arent protecting him from a bad line. Maybe he is what we have seen from him. A backup QB.

Or maybe the FO is completely demolishing the team so we can get the best Left Tackle in college football to help Rosen out with that first overall pick. That makes more sense.

Back
Top Bottom