The Coming Great QB Competition, Draft and Free Agency Haul of 2020 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Coming Great QB Competition, Draft and Free Agency Haul of 2020

Maybe...not saying your wrong...the point is Rosen has a great arm and is intelligent...was a top ten pick we have on the cheap.

If you think Rosen with experience in the system and a better O-line wouldn’t have a possible advantage over Tua in his rookie year, I’d say your looking through crimson colored glasses.

Tua is a great prospect...but he also lines up with the best team around him every week...Rosen hasn’t ever had that luxury.

So I’m only saying...I like the situation Miami is in to have two players like that in the fold.

Though again...I’m not ready to declare Tua the guy I want at number one overall yet... too much season to evaluate others....and I still have Tua’s failure against a good opponent in Clemson firmly in my mind. And he is not a perfect prospect physically.
I recommend watching the videos and read some of the excellent analysis in this thread..

The idea that Tua was a failure in the title game is nonsense.

When it come to Rosen only needing more experience and if we just surround him by the right pieces sounds like Tannehill 2.0. Kyler Murray is starting for the Cardinals this year only having one year of college experience and has that offense playing far better in two games than Rosen did in 13.

I do agree Rosen has a decent arm, but in other areas of his game he is nothing more than a developmental backup. Not the way to turn a franchise around.

Last edited:
How about the national championship against Georgia when he was inserted in the second half (as a true freshmen) and led Alabama to victory?
At that point there was no video on him nor expectation that they'd have to be defending a southpaw; His lack of success against Top 30 teams subsequent to that is what's legitimately worrisome.

Amen to a great thread like this.

It gives me hope for the future of the phins.

We have gone through so much as fans suffering in silence for such a long time since dan marino retired.

Maybe in 2 or 3 years we will be a dominant playoff team again.

GO PHINS.

What we need the most on this team is a top notch qb.......A good Oline and a defensive pass rush.......Easier said than done.

But it can be fixed in the next two drafts.

We have never ever had so much ammunition to work a draft. Ever.

If Miami gets the #1 pick the only QB competition Rosen will be in is if he wins the job to back up Tua.

Rosen at his best is nowhere near the QB Tua already is.

This here is exactly the thinking I hope our staff is not taking.

Though you could be, and probably are right, you can not assume that no matter what, you have to go with Tua...Trust me, deep inside, thinking about Tua being our QB deeply excites me also, but you can't be blinded to maybe Tua not being the best option.

What if Rosen comes in and starts lighting it up (Improbable considering our line, but not impossible).

What if one of the other QBs in College ends up looking better then Tua (Again, improbable, considering how it's looking right now, but not impossible).

Tua could also get hurt, stay in school, get caught up in something controversial, or even competing with Rosen in 2020, and failing to beat him.

Tua should be on the very top of the list of QBs if Miami gets the overall #1 pick with one of their #1s, and Rosen does not end up blowing people away this year, but Miami needs to have an open mind when they pick.

Last edited:
Not sure i buy that. Tua's stats against top level D's are concerning. So many people are crowning him but if he does end up being the pick i see a real competition going on.
Tua doesn't seem to have a problem with competition...

And then he won the starting job from an excellent QB at Alabama that was 25-2 as a starter. I remember Kirk Herbstreit commenting on watching Alabama practice and Alabama's offense struggled to move the ball against their defense with Hurts on the field. Then Tua would come in and slice up Alabama's defense through the air making it look easy.

Of course, there was also competing for that National Championship in his true freshman season...the greatest play I've ever seen a college QB make. Every box can be checked on this one play alone...leadership, calm under pressure elevating his game in the biggest moment, able to put the previous play behind him, pre-snap read, able to look off defenders, release, timing, arm, accuracy. Doesn't get better than this.

Last edited:
If the Dolphins would go for a QB with a top 5 pick I have to agree with that. It means that they do not believe in Rosen so a QB competition will be useless and I doubt they will put Fitzpatrick into a QB competition with a top 5 pick.

I agree wit this one as well. Since Flores became coach I said that we will not go for those highly expensive FAs. We will be active but not overpaying. Team/system fit will determine our FA acquisitions rather than splashy names.

I am extremely excited about the future. Flores and Co are totally committed of changing our culture. This season is all about what pieces can be kept for the future and which direction will we go in the 2020 FA and draft.
The only way we will take a QB is if Grier and Flores do not believe that Josh could turn out to be our franchise QB. Rosen does not even need an MVP/Pro Bowl season to be our future starter. All they need to see is growth and the capability that he could be the fit they are looking for.

The Dolphins do not plan on taking a QB with the first pick like some here suggest. They do their research, look at players (incl QBs) who could be a potential draft target (if they wouldn't it would be a crucial mistake) but their draft board right now is empty. Everything and nothing is in play.

Personally as a Dolphins fan you would want Rosen to pan out. In that case we would have draft and trade potential like I have never seen. They would dictate the 2020 draft. They could trade for more picks. They could keep them. They would determine what team gets a chance at a top QB and what team does not. They would hold all the cards and they could not only decide on their own future but also on the future of other teams.

What gets lost in all this "tank for Tua" boner crush is what the Dolphins want, work for and what their future vision for this team is. With some I expected that kind of simplistic thinking but with others I was utterly surprised. It was and is a real eye opener and changed how I view FH in general.
Pretty sure there first pick is a QB but I wouldn't be shocked if they traded down a couple spots and took o QB not named Tua. I don't think Fromm is quite as good as Tua but I wouldn't be disappointed to get more first rounders and a guy I think will be a quality QB.

It's kind of like that old kindergarten test - you can have 1 cookie now or wait until I come back and have 3 - 98% of the kids just couldn't wait, our desire for instant gratification is overwhelming.

Sell the pick be one of the rich teams - maneuver thru the draft like you know what your doing, get rich in draft picks then find your QB - build an offensive line fill out the defense

The difference here is Smith was 32/33 and already in the league 12 years when he was lighting it up in KC and they chose Mahomes. They had the opportunity to sit Mahomes and develope him, which they didn't really do. Rosen is 22, if he has an MVP type season, why would you trade him, isn't that what you're looking to get out of Tua or any other QB, an MVP QB? Why would you trade a young proven MVP QB for a potential MVP QB who is unproven in the NFL? If Rosen is MVP material, he is the starting QB, case closed, QB found...

Well said.

Not sure i buy that. Tua's stats against top level D's are concerning. So many people are crowning him but if he does end up being the pick i see a real competition going on.

Not trying to single you out bro, but I keep hearing this and wonder where its coming from.

I'm fairly certain that ANY college QB will have lower production against top notch defenses, its just the nature of the beast.

Until I see some sort of statistical evidence that he is several deviations below the mean when facing stiffer competition, I honestly have to assume it is a smear campaign designed to lower Tua's value.

I love the Rosen optimism, him being amazing is still best case scenario, but the chances or so low that there's no point in talking about it.

Miami has been wanting Tua since he led Bama to the National Championship win against Georgia. This is all a planned demolish and for good reason. Miami is tired of waiting for good to become great. Go for great, it's the most effective way to be great.

What if Rosen is the option thatnis great?

Based on what? He's 22 and has played for 2 crappy teams in 18 games. He throws a nice ball with touch, makes good reads, has above average pocket presence and intelligence, and a strong arm. I don't think the odds are long at all, well, maybe playing behind this line they are...
We've seen how dreadful Fitzpatrick is in 2 games but he's still starting over Rosen. Go back to his time at UCLA. Its not overly impressive in my opinion. I think Arizona reached on him at 10 out of desperation and the rookie wage scale.

Rosen is on the back burner they are bringing in a QB likely Tua - Rosen will get a chance to compete with Tua or whoever the pick if they are anything equal That said Qb will get a half season of reps next year

Exactly. Just a question of if it’s gonna be tua or Herbert imo.

Can’t see them turning in a Fromm pick that high.

This is exactly why they need to take a nice long look at Rosen now, because if he happens to greatly impress the staff, Miami does not really need to take a QB high, but instead use all those picks to start fixing all the holes on the team right now.

Back
Top Bottom