The Dolphins’ Jarvis Landry has some cryptic tweets. Let’s try to make sense of them | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins’ Jarvis Landry has some cryptic tweets. Let’s try to make sense of them

He was saying he was worth the pick from a prospect, BPA and team need perspective where Miami drafted him.

And I would agree.

Now he will be a bust if he doesn't flourish in 2018, but I still have no issues with that pick. We needed a legit WR talent for your 3rd year QB, we got rid of Wallace/Gibson/Hartline and only had Landry and just traded for Stills and we really didn't know how effective he would be without Brees.

Don't forget we also got rid of Rishard Matthew a guy who is doing pretty well for himself in Tennessee on a 3/15 contract. We could have had Landry, Stills, and Matthews thats a good rounded WR corps. I know hindsight is 20/20 but if Matthews wasn't so underused by Joe Philbin we probably wouldn't have a need for Parker.

I strongly agree with the sentiment that if Joe Philbin had not kept Rishard Matthews in his doghouse for THREE YEARS because the guy had gone out to his car during halftime of a pre-season game (or whatever stupid thing it was), Miami likely would have had a good wide receiver on the field, may have been able to make a more productive draft selection in the 1st round of 2015, and also may have been able to retain Matthews by not pissing him off.

In hindsight, I dislike Joe Philbin more than I did when he was here. Some of the personnel moves the Dolphins made during his time in Miami were reasonable -- like trading Vontae Davis because he kept showing up for practice drunk -- while some of them were really infuriating. I think I blame Ireland for Dansby though, to be fair. Dansby took a shot at Ireland on the radio and that was that.

I strongly agree with the sentiment that if Joe Philbin had not kept Rishard Matthews in his doghouse for THREE YEARS because the guy had gone out to his car during halftime of a pre-season game (or whatever stupid thing it was), Miami likely would have had a good wide receiver on the field, may have been able to make a more productive draft selection in the 1st round of 2015, and also may have been able to retain Matthews by not pissing him off. that.

Is that what Matthews did? pretty damn stupid thing to do. Although not something that should still be an issue years later

I don't know, apparently it was something like that. Internet rumor that I saw.

On the surface, all we saw in Matthews was a guy who flashed in the Bucs game in 2013 and nothing but discipline issues with the head coach (showing up late, failure to pick up gum wrappers, etc.)

He was a holdover, along with Landry, from a dismantled WR group. That season we effectively used a one, two and a three for our top three wide receivers. Matthews never had a shot.

Truth is, Matthews wanted a fresh start and he got that in Tennessee. And even in Tennessee he has his fair share of issues you hear about but he clearly was better than a number four WR . . . And part of me feels like we will see something similar with Carroo in the near future.

At least we didnt give up three picks for Rishard tho.

I thought Jakeem Grant played Landry out of town toward the end of the year. Grant isn't a reliable pass catcher, but he can basically do the same thing on offense as Landry with the added bonus of vertical speed that can get behind a defender.

Other than the ridiculous amount of receptions Juice has amassed, his age/durability makes him far more valuable on the open market compared to Baldwin, huge difference. We're talking about a potential hall of famer here with Juice, Baldwin in the grand scheme of things is little more than a JAG at this point of his career. And that's not being biased, by the end of Baldwin's 4th NFL season, he was far behind Juice statistically speaking. That's not my opinion, that's just speaking in plain fact.

potential hall of famer??? He had to be added to the pro bowl as an alternate
Get back to me when Landry is an ALL-PRO selection at least once and preferably
5 or more times before we go the Hall of Fame route

potential hall of famer??? He had to be added to the pro bowl as an alternate
Get back to me when Landry is an ALL-PRO selection at least once and preferably
5 or more times before we go the Hall of Fame route

Most catches ever in his first 4 years, it's really not too much of a stretch. I would argue OBJ has hall of fame potential as well, even though he hasn't been a first team all pro selection either. With both of their ages and productivity, in the right offense they could both put up hall of fame numbers. In terms of catches, Landry already is.

Most catches ever in his first 4 years, it's really not too much of a stretch. I would argue OBJ has hall of fame potential as well, even though he hasn't been a first team all pro selection either. With both of their ages and productivity, in the right offense they could both put up hall of fame numbers. In terms of catches, Landry already is.
But you have to look at the whole picture. If it comes down to how many catches he has then sure, he'll be in first ballot but how many catches would Jerry Rice had gotten if he was catching 3 to 5 yard passes all day long? about 3000 for his career? You have to put things in perspective.

Ozzy rules!!

But you have to look at the whole picture. If it comes down to how many catches he has then sure, he'll be in first ballot but how many catches would Jerry Rice had gotten if he was catching 3 to 5 yard passes all day long? about 3000 for his career? You have to put things in perspective.

Ozzy rules!!

If Landry ends his NFL career with the most receptions in NFL history, he will certainly be considered for the hall of fame. They won't say well how many catches would Jerry Rice have had, they will say look at what Jarvis did. No saying that will happen, but it's realistically possible based on his short career so far. Point being, he's a special talent, we need to keep him. If he wants something like 15 mil a year and won't budge then I can see us being forced to move on, but imo we should do everything in our power to keep this dude.

If Landry ends his NFL career with the most receptions in NFL history, he will certainly be considered for the hall of fame. They won't say well how many catches would Jerry Rice have had, they will say look at what Jarvis did. No saying that will happen, but it's realistically possible based on his short career so far. Point being, he's a special talent, we need to keep him. If he wants something like 15 mil a year and won't budge then I can see us being forced to move on, but imo we should do everything in our power to keep this dude.
If he ends up with more catches than anyone then sure, he's probably in.
The 2nd part where you say he's "special" and that we "need to keep him".......Lots of us believe he's a good player but not special......special is imo when you do things that most players can't do......that's not him........also, how much money would YOU be willing to pay him if you were the GM?......Of course keep on mind that we need 53 players and we will still need a real #1 WR which Landry is not.....so much do you think would be a good price for the team?

Ozzy rules!!

If he ends up with more catches than anyone then sure, he's probably in.
The 2nd part where you say he's "special" and that we "need to keep him".......Lots of us believe he's a good player but not special......special is imo when you do things that most players can't do......that's not him........also, how much money would YOU be willing to pay him if you were the GM?......Of course keep on mind that we need 53 players and we will still need a real #1 WR which Landry is not.....so much do you think would be a good price for the team?

Ozzy rules!!

12-13 mil per year, 5 years, half guaranteed. I am by no means an expert on cap, but that sounds pretty reasonable to me. 14 mil plus is over-priced, but on the open market I think he gets that. If we can't sign him to 13 per year or less, we better tag him. Losing him for merely a comp. pick would be dumb imo, just like with OV. He is the heart and soul of this team, and there is no way to quantify that, whether people want to admit it or not.

12-13 mil per year, 5 years, half guaranteed. I am by no means an expert on cap, but that sounds pretty reasonable to me. 14 mil plus is over-priced, but on the open market I think he gets that. If we can't sign him to 13 per year or less, we better tag him. Losing him for merely a comp. pick would be dumb imo, just like with OV. He is the heart and soul of this team, and there is no way to quantify that, whether people want to admit it or not.
If we don't want to pay him 13 or 14 then why tag him when that'd cost 16mill? At the end of the day of course it's not up to any of us. All we can do is talk about it and share different opinions. It's hard to tell what the FO/Gase is thinking and what Landry's thinking as well. It's going to be intersting what they end up doing

Ozzy rules!!

If Landry plays 12 years and retires at 33, he is on pace for 1200 receptions for 12000 yards and 66 TDs. Durability will most likely keep him from getting those gawdy numbers, as he will eventually deal with injuries with how he plays to contact, but I think 900 receptions for 10000 yards and 50 TDs is a reasonable - possibly conservative - projection. Good luck keeping him out of Canton with production like that.

Last edited:
This is not to say Landry is worth 14 million just to show that the lack of TD's as a team and the supposed long drives because of the mount of targets he gets is the reason we don't have a top offense is not true. Below you will see the avg drive of the top 10 scoring offenses in the NFL in 2016 excluding the Saints, Patriots, and Packers because of the elite QB's they each have giving them a signifact boost. The top is the avg drive each team has and the bottom is their averages in scoring drives. Also the Steelers and Bills were tied for 10th which is why there are 8 teams and not 7.

Cowboys Avg Drive start 28.8/Avg time per drive 3:05/Pts per drive 2.45/Avg Plays 6-Net Yds 34.8
Avg Drive start 31/Avg time per drive 4:08/Avg Plays 8.4 Avg Yds 60.9/ 81 scoring drives 49TD/27FG

Falcons Avg Drive start 29.3/Avg time per drive 2:47/Pts per drive 2.90/Avg Plays 5.9-Net YDS 38
Avg Drive start 32/Avg time per drive 3:26/Avg Plays 7.4 Avg Yds 60/ 95 scoring drives 58TD/34FG

Colts Avg Drive start 28.3/Avg time per drive 2:45/Pts per drive 2.24//Avg Plays 5.9-Net YDS 32.3
Avg Drive start 30/Avg time per drive 3:48/Avg Plays 8.3 Avg Yds 59.5/ 77 scoring drives 46TD/27FG

Cardinals Avg Drive Start 29.5/Avg time per drive 2:31/ Pts per drive 2.03/Avg Plays 5.7-NetYDS 29.5
Avg Drive start 34/Avg time per drive 3:24/Avg Plays 8 Avg Yds 57.8/ 76 scoring drives 48TD/21FG

Raiders AVG Drive Start 31.7/Avg time per drive 2:37/ Pts per drive 2.11/Plays 5.6 YDS-Net 30.7
Avg Drive Start 38/Avg time per drive 3:08/Avg Plays 7.2 Avg Yds Avg 53.2/ 81 scoring drives 46TD/29FG

Chargers Avg Drive Start 28.1/ Avg time per drive 2:42/Pts per drive 2.09/Plays 5.8-Net Yds 31.4
Avg Drive start 33/Avg time per drive 3:53/Avg Plays 8.3 Avg Yds 59/ 75 scoring drives 43TD/26FG

Bills AVG Drive Start 28.9/Avg time per drive 2:42/Pts per drive 2.14/Plays 5.9-Net Yds 31.8
Avg Drive start 34/Avg time per drive 3:31/Avg Plays 8.0 Avg Yds 59.4/ 71 scoring drives 46TD/19FG

Steelers AVG Start 27.3/Avg time per drive 2:42/Pts per drive 2.16/Plays 5.8-Net Yds 32.7
Avg Drive start 32/Avg time per drive 3:37/ Avg Plays 8.0 Avg Yds 59.1/ 74 scoring drives 46TD/24FG

Miami Avg Start 28.0/Avg time per drive 2:27/Pts per drive 1.81/Plays 5.0-Net Yds 28 YDs
Avg Drive start 35/Avg time per drive 3:16/Avg Plays 6.8 Avg Yds 59.8/ 63 scoring drives 42TD/16FG

When we score we do it faster than any of those top 10 offenses besides the Raiders, when we score we also do it in fewer amount of plays than any of those top 10 offenses. I think one of the biggest factors holding us on back on offense are 2 things.1. Consistency and 2. Negative yardage. Last year we lost 1142 yards to offensive penalties but we also lost 216 yards to sacks and our rushing offense had 14.244% negative rushing yards second only to Tampa Bay (although I don't know how accurate the rushing #s are). Just the QB sack yards and penalties alone are 1358 yards. Only the Jaguars and the Rams had more negative yardage between QB sacks and offensive penalties. Catching 5 yard passes may not be desirable but its better than - yards. Fix those issues and this offense may just rise to top 10 with Jarvis Landry leading the WR's. Pay him? I don't know, but don't blame him.

Back
Top Bottom